Bills Coordinators Need To Be Much Better

BillsFan130

The defense in the second half turned in a really good performance.  Kudos to Babich to making the right adjustments.

80 total yards

1 turnover that turned into a TD for the Bills

Two 3 and outs

only 3 points given up by the defense

4th down stop to win the game

• Like (+1) 2

19 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Brady had a good game as a coordinator.  We put up 34 points with a redzone turnover and the offense only having the ball 3 times in the first half.

We had WR open, Allen had time to throw, we had good designed runs…

You know what you’re supposed to do against bad defenses?  Put up 30+ points in which we did.  

Some people will just never give a coordinator credit.

We were very good at getting out of 2nd and 9, 2nd and 12 etc… we won’t be able to that consistently against better defenses. The first down plays will need much more variation and consistent production as the season progresses. Too many penalties especially false starts at home. Not Brady’s fault there. 

4 hours ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

No. The bills were getting chunk plays consistently on the ground at that point why go away from it? 

We had 3 points. Chunk plays mean nothing if they don’t end up with points. A lot has to go right moving up the field 4 yards a play. Way to many runs vs passes for a team lead by Josh Allen.

5 minutes ago, Allen2Coleman said:

We had 3 points. Chunk plays mean nothing if they don’t end up with points. A lot has to go right moving up the field 4 yards a play. Way to many runs vs passes for a team lead by Josh Allen.

That was due to a fumble on a passing play and a 15 yard penalty on a touchdown run.  The first two drives didn't stall out due to playcalling and design, they stalled out due to major player error.

Edited by Avisan
  • Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Avisan said:

That was due to a fumble on a passing play and a 15 yard penalty on a touchdown run.  The first two drives didn't stall out due to playcalling and design, they stalled out due to major player error.

As I said, when drives take that many plays, the odds something will go wrong only increases and these plays bear this out.

48 minutes ago, Magox said:

The defense in the second half turned in a really good performance.  Kudos to Babich to making the right adjustments.

80 total yards

1 turnover that turned into a TD for the Bills

Two 3 and outs

only 3 points given up by the defense

4th down stop to win the game

Was it Babich or McDermott though? Serious question.

Cause I did see McDermott with the play sheet and talking into the mic in the 2nd half at times. I didn't see that in the 1st half

18 minutes ago, Allen2Coleman said:

As I said, when drives take that many plays, the odds something will go wrong only increases and these plays bear this out.

No, no they don't.  The Bills were in scoring position already when the Allen fumble occurred, and literally scored a 4-yard touchdown when the facemask occurred.  The Bills were averaging 8.7 yards per play before the fumble, and 8.6 yards per play before the facemask penalty.  They were moving the ball down the field very effectively, at more than double your alleged yards per play.

Maybe you were simply, idk, wrong?  And should just admit to that because it isn't a big deal to be wrong?

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, BillsFan130 said:

Ya I think I just heard on WGR that on 1st downs, they ran it 16 times compared to 5 passes. So it does back up what we are saying with the play calling being pretty predictable. (And also vanilla)

Also on the last drive they ran it 5 straight times before the field goal.

That is unacceptable when Josh Allen is your QB. You have a chance to ice the game, put it in his hands 

I don't necessarily mind the run heavy game plan. Run defense was known to be Arizona's weakness coming into the game. I have no issue trying to enforce your will on the ground. But the point of doing that is to punish them when they finally go all out to stop the run. They started run blitzing us to death and we didn't adjust or make them pay. Felt like we had some good opportunities to mix in PA or screens and we just didn't...

Edited by HappyDays
  • Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I don't necessarily mind the run heavy game plan. Run defense was known to be Arizona's weakness coming into the game. I have no issue trying to enforce your will on the ground. But the point of doing that is to punish them when they finally go all out to stop the run. They starting run blitzing us to death and we didn't adjust or make them pay. Felt like we had some good opportunities to mix in PA or screens and we just didn't...

Ya 100 percent agreed. 1st half it worked well.

But seemed like Arizona adjusted in the 2nd half and the bills run game was mostly a non factor, but they kept running it anyways.

PAs and screens would have been perfect to your point

Is this post/thread for real?  First of all, it’s weak freaking one, which everyone knows is NOT indicative of how a season is going to progress.  The goal is to work out the kinks and try to come out with a W.  Mission accomplished.

Secondly, the defense nearly pitched a shutout in the 2nd half.  The offense put up 34 and could have had more.

The kickoff return sucked.  Live with it.

12 minutes ago, eball said:

Is this post/thread for real?  First of all, it’s weak freaking one, which everyone knows is NOT indicative of how a season is going to progress.  The goal is to work out the kinks and try to come out with a W.  Mission accomplished.

Secondly, the defense nearly pitched a shutout in the 2nd half.  The offense put up 34 and could have had more.

The kickoff return sucked.  Live with it.

Ok so you agree smiley wasn't good.

The defence stepped up for sure- But was it Babich or McDermott?  Remember my post is not on how the game went, it's how the coordinators performed. 

If you think it was MCD who more changed things around (like I do) , then you would  be agreeing with me that Babich (the coordinator) wasn't on because the 1st half was a disaster

For Brady- 16 runs to 5 first passes on 1st downs. 5 targets combined for Shakir and Kincaid, your two best weapons. And 5 straight runs when you're trying to win the game and Josh Allen is your QB. (Imagine Reid not giving Mahomes a chance to throw?) 

34 points is 34 points I get it, but it didn't tell the whole story as Josh played out of his mind and saved a lot of 2nd and 3rd and longs because Brady stubbornly kept running the ball on 1st downs

Edited by BillsFan130

21 hours ago, BillsFan130 said:

One thing that stood out to me was the disappointment in our play calling/coordinators:

Smiley- Anything more that needs to be said? Kick Return for a TD is unacceptable 

Babich- Seemed over his head today. It sure looked like at times in the 2nd half McDermott either took over play calling , or at least had an influence on what he wanted to do.

Brady- This is probably a bit of a hot take cause I get the bills scored 34 points...

But he was not good today IMO.

That's a bad defence, and Josh bailed him out with some incredible plays.

How many times did they run it on 1st down today? Seemed super obvious a lot of times.  He also needs to get Kincaid more involved.

Good comeback and good win, but if the bills are gonna go far I think the coaches have to do a much better job

I get it. It’s game one though. Unfortunately it’s going to take a few games at least to get things going.

In this league a few games can cost you later on but we have a victory. We lost our first game last year and it was doom and gloom.

lets see how it shakes out in Miami

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Allen2Coleman said:

We had 3 points. Chunk plays mean nothing if they don’t end up with points. A lot has to go right moving up the field 4 yards a play. Way too many runs vs passes for a team lead by Josh Allen.

Why did they have 3 points. A failure on a passing play. They were averaging well over 4 yards a run at that point. They marched up and down the field. They were a top 2 offense last week.

The cards weakness on defense is stopping the run. The bills weakness on offense is its WRs. Why abandon what’s working just because you want to use Josh more?

Everyone complains when Josh is 98% of the offense saying they need to take some of that off of him and when they do and are having success with it everyone complains some more. It’s mind boggling 

Edited by Not at the table Karlos

6 minutes ago, BillsFan130 said:

Ok so you agree smiley wasn't good.

The defence stepped up for sure- But was it Babich or McDermott?  Remember my post is not on how the game went, it's how the coordinators performed. 

If you think it was MCD who more changed things around (like I do) , then you would  be agreeing with me that Babich (the coordinator) wasn't on because the 1st half was a disaster

For Brady- 16 passes to 5 first runs on 1st downs. 5 targets combined for Shakir and Kincaid, your two best weapons. And 5 straight runs when you're trying to win the game and Josh Allen is your QB. (Imagine Reid not giving Mahomes a chance to throw?) 

34 points in 34 points I get it, but it didn't tell the whole story as Josh played out of his mind and saved a lot of 2nd and 3rd and longs because Brady stubbornly kept running the ball on 1st downs

Did McD start calling the plays in the 2nd half?  The answer is no.  It was WEEK ONE.  It was Babich’s first regular season game, ever, calling the plays.  He did a hell of a job.

As for Brady’s game plan?  Why would he show too much in the opener, against a non-conference opponent, with the early season schedule the Bills are facing?  I have no doubt this was a deliberate “win the game but let’s not spoil all the surprises” strategy to get out of there with a win.  And the running game was good.  Fans hate the first down runs for little or no gain but it’s all just setting stuff up for down the road.

Relax.  Come back and critique the coordinators after they’ve managed a half dozen games.

I think there was a fair amount of sandbagging yesterday by the coaches in looking towards Thursday. And because it's the first Thursday game of the season, I suspect they've spent time on game planning Miami already. I doubt they let the players in on the plan until last night. 

Just now, eball said:

Did McD start calling the plays in the 2nd half?  The answer is no.  It was WEEK ONE.  It was Babich’s first regular season game, ever, calling the plays.  He did a hell of a job.

As for Brady’s game plan?  Why would he show too much in the opener, against a non-conference opponent, with the early season schedule the Bills are facing?  I have no doubt this was a deliberate “win the game but let’s not spoil all the surprises” strategy to get out of there with a win.  And the running game was good.  Fans hate the first down runs for little or no gain but it’s all just setting stuff up for down the road.

Relax.  Come back and critique the coordinators after they’ve managed a half dozen games.

How do you know the answer was no? There was one shot of McDermott looking at the play sheet , talking into the mic. He was either calling plays, or at the very least had an influence on what he wanted to do.

Hey maybe you're right and this is to set things up down the road. I'm just calling it how I saw it for yesterday's game and I thought a lot of sequences were unacceptable. (Like at the end of the game)

I am 100 percent relaxed. I am not panicking. I'm happy about the win. All I was saying is the bills coordinators gotta get better. Because personally , I was disappointed in them.

If you were happy with them, all good and we will agree to disagree 

• Dislike 1

4 hours ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

Why did they have 3 points. A failure on a passing play. They were averaging well over 4 yards a run at that point. They marched up and down the field. They were a top 2 offense last week.

The cards weakness on defense is stopping the run. The bills weakness on offense is its WRs. Why abandon what’s working just because you want to use Josh more?

Everyone complains when Josh is 98% of the offense saying they need to take some of that off of him and when they do and are having success with it everyone complains some more. It’s mind boggling 

18 catches and maybe one drop if you can call it that. Sorry, this wide receiving corps is not half as bad as you people claim it was going to be. Gabe was easily replaced and Diggs is not missed. Cook didn’t even average 4 ypc & Allen was running too much again. The longer drives take the more chances there are to have a penalty called, have a fumble. This was proven yesterday.

10 hours ago, BillsFan130 said:

On 1st down bills ran it 16 times to 5 passes.

Shakir and Kincaid their two best weapons had 5 targets combined.

The bills stubbornly ran it 5x in a row before the last field goal. That's unacceptable when you have Josh Allen . You give him a chance to ice the game.

Point being: I thought the play calling was predicable,  conservative and they didn't involve their top two weapons nearly enough.

Josh bailed out Brady this game in my opinion. If you disagree, 100 percent all good

Fans complain when Allen does too much. Now they complain when he does too little. As far as I know they won the game so the strategy worked. Take away that ridiculous kick off return TD and it would’ve been a convincing victory. 

2 minutes ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

Fans complain when Allen does too much. Now they complain when he does too little. As far as I know they won the game so the strategy worked. Take away that ridiculous kick off return TD and it would’ve been a convincing victory. 

I will never complain when the bills ask Josh to do a lot and I'm all for putting the ball in his hands.

He is a Ferrari. Treat him like such and don't treat him like a Hyundai