Bills Coordinators Need To Be Much Better

BillsFan130

7 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

What did Babich do differently in the second half or was McDermott starting to get involved in the playcalling?

The only thing I could see is they were getting more contained pressure. Plus forcing a turnover helps. I think the did a good job of shutting down MH Jr. other than that very concerned about the over all play. Loss of Poyer and Hyde and Milano were evident on some of the gashing runs the ran off... that is going to be an issue this year unless they start to pull it together. 

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Beast said:

I have no issues with the offensive play calling. Sure, I didn’t like that 3rd down call late and would have liked to have seen a couple more play action on 1st down but they put up 34.

The defense was awful in the first half and pretty darn good in the second.

Bass was a positive until he kicked the f’n ball OB. 

On to week 2.

I do, Up until the end of the second quarter Josh Allen only had 2 throws and the team had 14 runs total. Unless some of those runs are 20 yard + runs, that is all kinds of wrong. 

12 hours ago, Steptide said:

People will disagree, but I don't like the amount of running the offense was doing, even though they ran it well. Maybe that was there plan for the Cardinals, but I don't wanna see that on a weekly basis. Don't go backwards 

Cook yesterday looked FAST. If he had any blocks at all he exploited them as he should. I'm sure they will game plan accordingly moving forward.  Having that stout a running game will only open up the offense to passes. Keep the defense on their toes and not know what weapon the Bills will use. And yes this team HAS offensive weapons.  SEVERAL not including #17. 

16 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

It's absolutely fair to discuss. I just think you are off base WRT Brady. 

That's totally fair if you/others disagree with me .

I just don't understand when people basically say: "You shouldn't discuss anything negative cause the bills won"

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, muppy said:

Cook yesterday looked FAST. If he had any blocks at all he exploited them as he should. I'm sure they will game plan accordingly moving forward.  Having that stout a running game will only open up the offense to passes. Keep the defense on their toes and not know what weapon the Bills will use. And yes this team HAS offensive weapons.  SEVERAL not including #17. 

My problem is, we took to long to let JA start throwing the ball. 2 targets, 2 completions before a few minutes left in the first half. You dont take issue with that?

12 hours ago, MJS said:

Bills fans need to relax and not be so hyper critical. Enjoy the win.

relax he says. as I gulp down Xanax and think "it's only a game, It's only a game" LOL

j/k I hear you 🙂 

1 minute ago, PrimeTime101 said:

My problem is, we took to long to let JA start throwing the ball. 2 targets, 2 completions before a few minutes left in the first half. You dont take issue with that?

No I don't. Not really. It sounds sus but the proof was in the pudding we won the game

• Like (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, BillsFan130 said:

I was absolutely thrilled with the win and still am, as a win is a win.

But Why is it not fair to discuss things that can be improved on after a win?

And just like after a loss- are we just supposed to be completely negative then and not focus on any positives if the bills lose?

Fair enough but I stand by my contention that many look for and like misery!

• Eyeroll 1

26 minutes ago, muppy said:

relax he says. as I gulp down Xanax and think "it's only a game, It's only a game" LOL

j/k I hear you 🙂 

No I don't. Not really. It sounds sus but the proof was in the pudding we won the game

it was suspect cause at the time just 3 minutes before the half.. we were NOT winning. 5 passing plays total to 9 runs, the other 3 running plays were scrambles.  

33 minutes ago, PrimeTime101 said:

I do, Up until the end of the second quarter Josh Allen only had 2 throws and the team had 14 runs total. Unless some of those runs are 20 yard + runs, that is all kinds of wrong. 

The run game was working very well in the first half-- the fumble and facemask penalties took 7 points off the board on our first two possessions.

13 hours ago, Turbo44 said:

Scored 34 but still didn’t like Brady’s coaching. Way too any penalties (I know that’s prob on the players but still th oline wasn’t good). He didn’t get Kinkaid the ball, no misdirection runs (end arounds to Samuel??) and when the run is averaging 3.9 yards per carry vs 10 yards per pass attempt, you don’t run the ball 8 more times than you pass. Conservarive Play along on the last drive could have easily lot them the game. You play to win, not to not lose.

Point 1:  Brady is the offensive coordinator, not a position coach, so the penalties on the OL weren't on him.   He designs, selects and calls plays.

Point 2: The point of designing a game plan is to take advantage of your opponent's weaknesses and maximize your team's strengths.  That means that your opponents dictate a lot of what your team do.  It's likely that the Cards concentrated on Kincaid.  The Bills ran the ball a lot because Arizona was poor against the run.

Point 3:  On the last drive the Bills were trying to close out the game, so playing conservatively on offense is what smart teams do to win games.  :doh:

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

13 hours ago, BillsFan130 said:

My criticisms personally was the play calling seemed a bit obvious, and not enough getting your best two players involved. (Kincaid and Shakir, and even not putting the ball enough in Josh's hands)

34 points, yes. But Josh played amazing who made incredible plays to keep drives alive. And they also played a horrible defence.

I don't think Brady was "horrible", but I also want better if this is the guy who is going to lead us to a SB

No you're correct.

Down 17-3, the play calling was very stale.

Brady was calling pass plays but WR's had trouble getting separation which caused Josh to start running it.

Any time Josh runs it, that's the offensive "cheat code"

Josh became the "Human battering ram" which allowed the Bills to get back in the game.

I thought the one bright spot other than Josh was Cook.  But they kept rotating Cook out which caused Josh to run it even more.

I don't think any of us truly believes that Josh can keep playing this way for 16 more games.  I hope his hand is ok but he should never have had to run it into the end zone like he did.

In Brady's defense, it is only one game and as others have said its too early to tell about his offense.  We'll know more after game 5 or 6.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

It's so hard to gauge week 1, the defense no matter whos running still can't stop a screen pass to save their lives. Every year this seems to be an issue and I'm guessing it's because we don't have a guy like Milano on the field for the past 2 years but for some reason still seemed like an issue when he was.

We all knew that Josh Allen has to be super human in order to win it all today and other than that ridiculous fumble he was just that imo. He slung it to just about every WR/TE we have out there or at least tried to. I was kind of disappointed that Kincaid wasn't more involved but it's only week 1, they will find their footing now that they have game tape to work with and work on what they need to.

Babich's defense was pretty terrible starting off I'm not going to lie or sugarcoat anything, they couldn't do anything correctly. Big chunk yards rushing and carving us up in passing yards but the second half adjustments were very effective only giving up 87 total yards plus 3 points and their top WR's McBride/Harrison combined for 34 yards which is really impressive imo. 

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, JakeFrommStateFarm said:

I don't think any of us truly believes that Josh can keep playing this way for 16 more games.  I hope his hand is ok but he should never have had to run it into the end zone like he did.

He didn't have to.

It was 2nd and Goal from the 6, he ran that touchdown the way that he did because that's how he wants to play.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

21 minutes ago, JakeFrommStateFarm said:

No you're correct.

Down 17-3, the play calling was very stale.

Brady was calling pass plays but WR's had trouble getting separation which caused Josh to start running it.

Any time Josh runs it, that's the offensive "cheat code"

Josh became the "Human battering ram" which allowed the Bills to get back in the game.

I thought the one bright spot other than Josh was Cook.  But they kept rotating Cook out which caused Josh to run it even more.

In Brady's defense, it is only one game and as others have said its too early to tell about his offense.  We'll know more after game 5 or 6.

Ya I think I just heard on WGR that on 1st downs, they ran it 16 times compared to 5 passes. So it does back up what we are saying with the play calling being pretty predictable. (And also vanilla)

Also on the last drive they ran it 5 straight times before the field goal.

That is unacceptable when Josh Allen is your QB. You have a chance to ice the game, put it in his hands 

Edited by BillsFan130
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Royale with Cheese said:

What did Babich do differently in the second half or was McDermott starting to get involved in the playcalling?

I need to look properly at the film. I think a few things happened:

1. They calmed down a bit. The defense was frantic every snap first half.... defenders still sprinting across the formation as the ball was being snapped, desperate waving hand gestures. That loss of experienced heads in Hyde, Poyer, Milano and Taron was really visible and there was a sense of panic. I think part it at half time was probably just settling them down a bit. 

2. They got a bit more aggressive on passing downs.

3. They definitely managed to slow the Cardinals off tackle run game down a bit. First half it was consistently picking up 5 or 6 yards per attempt. They slowed that and 2nd and 8 is a smaller playbook than 2nd and 4 which they seemed forever in first half. Need to see the all22 to see exactly what the tweaked to do that but in the past (certainly under Leslie) their approach to teams attacking that way was to ask their DTs to focus much more on establishing the line of scrimmage rather than penetrating upfield. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Disagree 1

Does anyone really think this was the entire offense Brady installed?  Remember this is week 1 and the starting offense had almost no reps in preseason.  In addition there were 4 new WRs and one new RB plus a re-tooled OL playing its first NFL game together as a group.  To expect perfection and expansive play calling is a little misplaced.  

Oh yeah, they still scored 34 points and if it wasn’t for the fumble and facemask they might have scored 45.

As to the play calling early, one the first drive we had two first downs on 3 plays before the fumble, and on the second drive we had 60 yards and 3 first downs before the facemask erased the TD and caused a FG.  Nothing wrong with the play calling even if a little vanilla.

Overall 9 receivers had a catch. We ran for 130, passed for 230, executed well in the red zone and put up 34 points. Take the win and let’s go squish the Fish.

Edited by GASabresIUFan
  • Agree 1

11 hours ago, DabillsDaBillsDaBills said:

Other than that, how was the play Mrs. Lincoln?

Special teams gets an A+ for the day without the kick return for TD and kickoff out of bounds. Factoring in those 2 plays it's probably a D for them. 

But literally neither of those play outcomes can be attributed to coaching. Coaches can't kick short of the end zone or miss tackles. There was nothing wrong with the schemes on those plays. 

• Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, Avisan said:

He didn't have to.

It was 2nd and Goal from the 6, he ran that touchdown the way that he did because that's how he wants to play.

Correct. The play he hurt himself on was NOT a Quarterback draw. That was Josh Allen seeing an opening and being Josh Allen. You will never take that out of his game. It was a called pass play, the defense defended it like a pass play, Josh saw a lane and took off. Does the Bills lack of separators down there impact how often Josh plays it that way? I think so (15 rushing TDs last year a career high, 2 already this year) but that isn't on Brady or Dorsey last year. That's on Brandon Beane if anyone. 

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Disagree 1

8 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

1. They calmed down a bit. The defense was frantic every snap first half.... defenders still sprinting across the formation as the ball was being snapped, desperate waving hand gestures. That loss of experienced heads in Hyde, Poyer, Milano and Taron was really visible and there was a sense of panic. I think part it at half time was probably just settling them down a bit. 

3. They definitely managed to slow the Cardinals off tackle run game down a bit. First half it was consistently picking up 5 or 6 yards per attempt. They slowed that and 2nd and 8 is a smaller playbook than 2nd and 4 which they seemed forever in first half. Need to see the all22 to see exactly what the tweaked to do that but in the past (certainly under Leslie) their approach to teams attacking that way was to ask their DTs to focus much more on establishing the line of scrimmage rather than penetrating upfield. 

On the Cardinals' first two possessions, the RBs had 8 carries for 15 yards (1.8 ypc). On their third possession - their final one of the first half -- the RBs had 4 carries for 14 yards.  In total in the first half, the RBs had 12 carries for 29 yards (2.45 ypc). They had a couple of gash running plays in the second half but all told, the RBs had 20 carries for 67 yards (3.35 ypc).  

18 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Are you referring to that they stopped focusing on keeping Murray in the pocket and just went after him?