Bills Coordinators Need To Be Much Better

BillsFan130

5 minutes ago, JoPoy88 said:

damn i was under the impression that we won today. Guess not according to the guy with lunch meat hanging out of his maw.

So we can't criticize the bills on certain things when they win is what you're saying? 

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, JohnNord said:

I agree on Smiley - whose ST unit was mediocre at best last season.   I think McDermott wanted to give him a little more time.

I thought Brady called a pretty good game today.  It was a little run heavy for my liking but it was working.  My only problem was continuing to run in the second half after Arizona was selling out to stop it.  Ideally I’d like to more downfield throws but it was his first game.  

Babitch in the first half was really bad but I saw a Bills DL (with the exception of Groot) who failed to win their matchups and Dorian Williams struggling at LB.  

Overall I think OC and DC just need more time

To be fair with Smiley outside the kick return for the TD we did well on ST stops. The new rule is going to cause big returns as that's why he was made. Also the winds at our stadium don't always allow you to kick it out of the end one with every kick.

We essentially played this game without Samuel.  He played maybe 15 snaps - I’ll have to find the post on X.  

That means all of Allen’s weapons today (minus Samuel) in total cost us roughly 22 million in total against the cap - most of that is Knox (7.7 million).  That’s all the RBS TES AND WRS in total.  

I don’t really know what the offense is yet.  I’m not sure Brady does either.  

4 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

We essentially played this game without Samuel.  He played maybe 15 snaps - I’ll have to find the post on X.  

That means all of Allen’s weapons today (minus Samuel) in total cost us roughly 22 million in total against the cap - most of that is Knox (7.7 million).  That’s all the RBS TES AND WRS in total.  

I don’t really know what the offense is yet.  I’m not sure Brady does either.  

Seriously 15 snaps (give or take) for Samuel? 

I think that kind of goes back to my original Disappointment in Brady.

I thought we would see a lot more WR motion/ spreading the ball out, but it seems like the bills stubbornly ran the ball even though it wasn't working much in the 2nd half

It was great to score 34 and spread the ball around, but I’m really disappointed that they didn’t have a few more plays for Kincaid who is one of the best football players on our team.

We also have enough tape by now to know Josh is at his best with pass to scramble and I don’t love the designed runs inside the tackles. Thinking of the 3rd and 2 particularly, but as a trend I wish we would have some plays where run is a quick second choice and he rolls out and runs if his main options are covered. 

50 minutes ago, BillsFan130 said:

So we can't criticize the bills on certain things when they win is what you're saying? 

You can...as usual it's always over the top and mostly disconnected between what the stats say and what the posters say.

Reading the posts you'd think the Bills gave up 570 yards of offense instead of 270.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, BillsFan130 said:

Seriously 15 snaps (give or take) for Samuel? 

I think that kind of goes back to my original Disappointment in Brady.

I thought we would see a lot more WR motion/ spreading the ball out, but it seems like the bills stubbornly ran the ball even though it wasn't working much in the 2nd half

I think he’s not quite 100% 

And an eye toward Thursday.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

To be fair with Smiley outside the kick return for the TD we did well on ST stops. The new rule is going to cause big returns as that's why he was made. Also the winds at our stadium don't always allow you to kick it out of the end one with every kick.

Other than that, how was the play Mrs. Lincoln?

Special teams gets an A+ for the day without the kick return for TD and kickoff out of bounds. Factoring in those 2 plays it's probably a D for them. 

Overall it was fine for a first game IMHO... Assuming nothing goes perfect for this team ever...

The D had a terrible 1st half... Just awful... So many chances to get off the field on those 3 scoring drives... Very frustrating. But the 2nd half was much, much better. 

There were at least three times during this game I was begging for play-action after a really good run or two... They ran it right into what looked like run blitzes every time... Once was with Davis on his drive. I'm hoping that was about getting through week 1 and putting those tendencies on film... Because the play calling HAS to be better as we go along and play better D's... It seemed to me like they were forcing the run too much today... Which is unfortunate because they had receivers open a lot when they did throw it. And it seems to me like Kincaid is best utilized getting behind LB's on play action... But what do I know?...B-)

Edited by KOKBILLS

3 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I mean the defense adjusted and allowed just 3 points in the 2nd half.  And Brady and the offense put up 34 points despite the fact Allen had just 2 pass attempts with just over 2 min to go in the first half thanks to some OL miscues and an Allen fumble.

So if anything, I feel like the Coordinators showed they can figure it out and adjust, which IMHO is the most important part of their job.

I really liked what I saw with Brady today too.  

9 players caught a pass from Josh Allen today.   They were spreading the ball and keeping the Cardinals defense guessing.   Brady also ran Cook 19 times and stuck to it.    This team will need Allen to make those spectacular plays..but overall Brady came up with the right adjustments.  I thought Babich also on top and gave up  only 3 points in the 2nd half.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Just now, ganesh said:

9 players caught a pass from Josh Allen today.   They were spreading the ball and keeping the Cardinals defense guessing.   Brady also ran Cook 19 times and stuck to it.    This team will need Allen to make those spectacular plays..but overall Brady came up with the right adjustments.  I thought Babich also on top and gave up  only 3 points in the 2nd half.

Agree with all this.  That being said, it’s one game, but I think overall it was encouraging efforts by both coordinators.  

I'm less critical of Brady. The Bills moved the ball on every drive and he had some great designs. The play that ended in the Hollins TD was an audible built into the playcall (confirmed by Josh in his presser) and the design on the Shakir TD was excellent. He also had a couple of really good creative plays in there - the one that got Knox open for a nice gain for example. 

I think he had some calls you'd want back. The fade to Coleman right after he had the big catch felt forced (and Josh didn't throw it great) and the series at the end the runs on 2nd and 3rd down were both kind of the obvious play call. If you are going to run Josh there I prefer you do it on second down when the defense is playing for other things more. I do wonder how limited they were throwing because of the hand (I know non throwing hand etc) but those plays felt really too safe. 

As for did he run too much on first down.... I kinda felt that in the game too, but I struggle to argue with the results of it too much. It is something that bears watching as the season ticks on. 

And on Kincaid this is where I defend Brady. It looked to me like there was a concerted effort from Arizona to take Kincaid away. There were multiple plays where I saw they had a defensive back on him rather than a linebacker. He was the guy the Cardinals had decided was not going to beat them. It goes back to my point about why you do need guys who win outside. If I want to take away a tight end or a slot receiver who works mainly inside I have a lot more options as a defensive coordinator. It is much harder to actively double a guy who plays outside without affecting the overall structure and coherence of my defense. Basically to do it I have to move a safety out of the middle of the field to come and support a corner over the top. Whereas I can double and bracket a tight end while still having the guys I'm asking to do it be broadly in position to play their responsibilities in the defense because that area is just more congested. 

I'd give Brady a 7/10 for yesterday. Not perfect, but pretty good. 

I'd give Babich a 5/10. The defense was really struggling to get lined up first half. The communication was tough for them. I know the safety injuries in the summer haven't helped, and then losing Milano late and Taron within the first defensive series. That is a lot of turnover in the back seven. But I didn't feel that unit was particularly well coached. They buttoned it up a bit second half, but they need a lot of work. 

Smiley a 1/10. Never understood how he got that job. He is in over his skis. 

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Like (+1) 2

11 hours ago, MJS said:

Bills fans need to relax and not be so hyper critical. Enjoy the win.

Never underestimate TBD members ability to grab misery out of the jaws of victory, like moths to a flame!

Edited by amprov56

12 hours ago, BillsFan130 said:

Good comeback and good win, but if the bills are gonna go far I think the coaches have to do a much better job

Seems like this was said after every victory last year. I agree with the ST coach but give credit to the others . A season opener is generally tough , especially with so much turnover on the roster including some veterans. For a young team to comeback and win is a positive. 

Yea, we can always be better. (That is a philosophical statement)

12 hours ago, peterpan said:

The offense was great really.  Only 3 bad plays (outside of penalties) that I can thing of.

1- Allen’s fumble

2- on one third down Allen threw it to Ty Johnson (?) who was open, but it was at his feet. 
3- the rushed 3rd down QB run on our last drive.  Play came in late, no times to audible off the showing blitz, should have called TO.  

I believe we had one punt.  The one turnover and then the one mishap rushed at the play clock.  Only the last one would be on Brady IMO 

Both teams punted twice

both had a QB fumble turnover

both had end of half/ game possessions they did nothing ( az first, bills end of game)

Buffalo got 4 TDs and 2 FG

AZ had 3 TDs ( one a KO return snd 3 pt conversion) , 2 FG

AZ turned it over on downs 

the big calls were…

— fake PF roughing QB on 3 rd down that would have been a FG attempt instead of TD by AZ

— Torrance 15 yd that killed a TD and turned it into a FG

33 minutes ago, amprov56 said:

Never underestimate TBD members ability to grab misery out of the jaws of victory, like moths to a flame!

I was absolutely thrilled with the win and still am, as a win is a win.

But Why is it not fair to discuss things that can be improved on after a win?

And just like after a loss- are we just supposed to be completely negative then and not focus on any positives if the bills lose?

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, BillsFan130 said:

I was absolutely thrilled with the win and still am, as a win is a win.

But Why is it not fair to discuss things that can be improved on after a win?

And just like after a loss- are we just supposed to be completely negative then and not focus on any positives if the bills lose?

It's absolutely fair to discuss. I just think you are off base WRT Brady. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

I'm less critical of Brady. The Bills moved the ball on every drive and he had some great designs. The play that ended in the Hollins TD was an audible built into the playcall (confirmed by Josh in his presser) and the design on the Shakir TD was excellent. He also had a couple of really good creative plays in there - the one that got Knox open for a nice gain for example. 

I think he had some calls you'd want back. The fade to Coleman right after he had the big catch felt forced (and Josh didn't throw it great) and the series at the end the runs on 2nd and 3rd down were both kind of the obvious play call. If you are going to run Josh there I prefer you do it on second down when the defense is playing for other things more. I do wonder how limited they were throwing because of the hand (I know non throwing hand etc) but those plays felt really too safe. 

As for did he run too much on first down.... I kinda felt that in the game too, but I struggle to argue with the results of it too much. It is something that bears watching as the season ticks on. 

And on Kincaid this is where I defend Brady. It looked to me like there was a concerted effort from Arizona to take Kincaid away. There were multiple plays where I saw they had a defensive back on him rather than a linebacker. He was the guy the Cardinals had decided was not going to beat them. It goes back to my point about why you do need guys who win outside. If I want to take away a tight end or a slot receiver who works mainly inside I have a lot more options as a defensive coordinator. It is much harder to actively double a guy who plays outside without affecting the overall structure and coherence of my defense. Basically to do it I have to move a safety out of the middle of the field to come and support a corner over the top. Whereas I can double and bracket a tight end while still having the guys I'm asking to do it be broadly in position to play their responsibilities in the defense because that area is just more congested. 

I'd give Brady a 7/10 for yesterday. Not perfect, but pretty good. 

I'd give Babich a 5/10. The defense was really struggling to get lined up first half. The communication was tough for them. I know the safety injuries in the summer haven't helped, and then losing Milano late and Taron within the first defensive series. That is a lot of turnover in the back seven. But I didn't feel that unit was particularly well coached. They buttoned it up a bit second half, but they need a lot of work. 

Smiley a 1/10. Never understood how he got that job. He is in over his skis. 

What did Babich do differently in the second half or was McDermott starting to get involved in the playcalling?

Shakir is the best offensive weapon on this team not named Josh Allen.  Having him on the field 53% of the snaps is just plain dumb like running the exact same running play on 90% of your 1st down plays.  OC gets a solid C minus from me for lack of diversity, creativity, and the end of game play not to lose mentality.  Josh’s heroics bailed Brady out and cost him an injured left hand.    

• Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1