Bills Coordinators Need To Be Much Better

BillsFan130

23 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Josh had a great game but he didn’t do anything today that was spectacular than no one else can do.  

You’re correct.   It’s been done once before in NFL history.   Passer rating, rushing and passing yards, rushing TDs and Passing TDs.    That’s after losing a rushing TD to penalty.

Small beef with Brady not going for the throat after Groot's FF and the short punt.  We ran the ball both times.  Marv called PA and a shot to the EZ a lot in those situations.  Mix in a little PA on first down Joe.  You're allowed, you got the best QB in the game.

On the KO TD, I've said it before and I'll say it again.  There is a huge block in the back by the Cards at the point of attack, and no call.  I don't hold that against Smiley or Bass.  Cards cheated and got away with it, good for them.

• Like (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, Steptide said:

People will disagree, but I don't like the amount of running the offense was doing, even though they ran it well. Maybe that was there plan for the Cardinals, but I don't wanna see that on a weekly basis. Don't go backwards 

That’s my concern. As I’ve had more time to process this game, I think Brady actually called a good game. We put up over thirty points, and took care of business in week one. My fear is this style of play becoming who we always are. That’s what the second half of last season looked like. The day will come against better opponents where the passing game will need to take over completely. Josh Allen beat the KC Chiefs in one of those games had the infamous 13 seconds not taken place. I worry we’ll will never see that type of game with this offensive strategy. 

49 minutes ago, BillsFan130 said:

One thing that stood out to me was the disappointment in our play calling/coordinators:

Smiley- Anything more that needs to be said? Kick Return for a TD is unacceptable 

Babich- Seemed over his head today. It sure looked like at times in the 2nd half McDermott either took over play calling , or at least had an influence on what he wanted to do.

Brady- This is probably a bit of a hot take cause I get the bills scored 34 points...

But he was not good today IMO.

That's a bad defence, and Josh bailed him out with some incredible plays.

How many times did they run it on 1st down today? Seemed super obvious a lot of times.  He also needs to get Kincaid more involved.

Good comeback and good win, but if the bills are gonna go far I think the coaches have to do a much better job

Agree on all this. Let us remember last year we were scoring over 30 PPG with Dorsey and it still didn’t look good. 

brady needs to scheme receivers open and have reads for Josh. Nothing looked like it was in rhythm. It looked like Josh was just making things happen on the fly

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, peterpan said:

The offense was great really.  Only 3 bad plays (outside of penalties) that I can thing of.

1- Allen’s fumble

2- on one third down Allen threw it to Ty Johnson (?) who was open, but it was at his feet. 
3- the rushed 3rd down QB run on our last drive.  Play came in late, no times to audible off the showing blitz, should have called TO.  

I believe we had one punt.  The one turnover and then the one mishap rushed at the play clock.  Only the last one would be on Brady IMO 

Yeah the only negative I would say about Brady is that there were a few times where the plays came in late. The third down late In the game really stood out as one.

What stood out is that the offense looked balanced and efficient, Heavy emphasis on successful plays and drives, And putting the ball in the hands of the best player in the crucial moments. In a perfect world I'd like something better than Josh rushing TDs on the goal line, but I won't argue with the point total.

The two minute drive followed by the double-dip to start the second half was a game-defining sequence.

Snap counts and volume will be interesting because the skill group looks very interchangeable. I wonder how much of who we see is going to depend on matchups.

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, T master said:

Seeing as it's the first game of the season and the first real game that all of the new personal have played together in a real game plus being the coordinators first real game i'd say the adjustments that they made to win shows they are on it !

Given just a little bit more time rather than lambasting them in the first game of the season i think they will get better .

Haha I am not "lambasting" them. I pointed out things I didn't like personally. Stated that it was a good comeback win, and hopefully it will get better over time. 

• Like (+1) 1

Brady was absolutely fine today. The Bills were gashing Arizona in the run game and our line needed to get a couple yards and we put the ball in Allen’s hands and didn’t get it done. 

When we got stopped it’s because we stopped ourselves today 

• Agree 1

The only thing they need to do is win games. Full stop. Period. Doesn't matter how.

Nothing else matters.

The Chiefs Offense looked terrible for much of last year and it didn't matter as they won the Super Bowl anyway.

In the NFL, nothing matters other than wins and losses, and especially what happens in the playoffs.

People looking for style points constantly are oblivious to what actually matters.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 3

13 minutes ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

How do you criticize Brady after today?

If not for Allen fumbling and missing MVS they probably score 40+ and its not even a close game

Cook was ripping off 8-9yard runs with alacrity. They spread the ball around to multiple targets. That's what everyone wanted on here. Get rid of Diggs and spread the ball around. 

I guess a few critiques could be no TE or RB screens and no significant misdirection. Though on Allen's second TD run, they lined up a TE(I think it was Kincaid) in the backfield and after faking a throw to the right the TE was supposed to slip out to the left but he got gobbled up in the OL. 

My criticisms personally was the play calling seemed a bit obvious, and not enough getting your best two players involved. (Kincaid and Shakir, and even not putting the ball enough in Josh's hands)

34 points, yes. But Josh played amazing who made incredible plays to keep drives alive. And they also played a horrible defence.

I don't think Brady was "horrible", but I also want better if this is the guy who is going to lead us to a SB

• Dislike 1

38 minutes ago, Turbo44 said:

Scored 34 but still didn’t like Brady’s coaching. Way too any penalties (I know that’s prob on the players but still th oline wasn’t good). He didn’t get Kinkaid the ball, no misdirection runs (end arounds to Samuel??) and when the run is averaging 3.9 yards per carry vs 10 yards per pass attempt, you don’t run the ball 8 more times than you pass. Conservarive Play along on the last drive could have easily lot them the game. You play to win, not to not lose.

We ran the ball extremely well. Running effectively is what often helps open things up for the passing game. When the other team knows you stick to the run, and can run it well, it brings the safeties up, which helps the passing game. Just because you don’t get as many yards per play rushing as you do passing doesn’t mean it’s not a good strategy to stick to the run.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Rubes said:

We ran the ball extremely well. Running effectively is what often helps open things up for the passing game. When the other team knows you stick to the run, and can run it well, it brings the safeties up, which helps the passing game. Just because you don’t get as many yards per play rushing as you do passing doesn’t mean it’s not a good strategy to stick to the run.

We did starting off and at times in the 2nd half. Had a lot of carries in the 2nd half that went nowhere tho...Cook averaged 3.7 YPC for the game which was surprising honestly 

Edited by Big Turk

Just now, Big Turk said:

We did starting off and at times in the 2nd half. Had a lot of carries in the 2nd half that went nowhere tho...Cook averaged 3.7 YPC for the game which was surprising honestly 

The Cards adjusted and started defending the run well. But that still doesn’t mean you just abandon it.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Rubes said:

The Cards adjusted and started defending the run well. But that still doesn’t mean you just abandon it.

No, but would have liked to see more outside runs with Cook, or pitches.

• Like (+1) 1

This thread is hilarious- offense had twice as many TDs as punts but Brady was not good enough. The defense allows only 3 points in second half but the coordinator did not do enough. Special teams coverage needs to improve for real but 2/3 looked great after first quarter

• Like (+1) 1

First game as DC for Babich and a lot of new faces coupled with Taron going down early so I will give the D a wash for the day.

Need to tighten things up for Thursday.

Brady and the O did well for the 1st game.  I expect them to unveil more stuff Thursday.

Special Teams are just bi-polar in my opinion.  It just seems Smiley overthinks way too many things.

KISS.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BillsFan130 said:

One thing that stood out to me was the disappointment in our play calling/coordinators:

Smiley- Anything more that needs to be said? Kick Return for a TD is unacceptable 

Babich- Seemed over his head today. It sure looked like at times in the 2nd half McDermott either took over play calling , or at least had an influence on what he wanted to do.

Brady- This is probably a bit of a hot take cause I get the bills scored 34 points...

But he was not good today IMO.

That's a bad defence, and Josh bailed him out with some incredible plays.

How many times did they run it on 1st down today? Seemed super obvious a lot of times.  He also needs to get Kincaid more involved.

Good comeback and good win, but if the bills are gonna go far I think the coaches have to do a much better job

I just hope Brady does not run more than pass,  this defence is not good enough and the Bills need to score 30 plus points a game if they want to win enough games to be a playoff team. 

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, ColoradoBills said:

First game as DC for Babich and a lot of new faces coupled with Taron going down early so I will give the D a wash for the day.

Need to tighten things up for Thursday.

Brady and the O did well for the 1st game.  I expect them to unveil more stuff Thursday.

Special Teams are just bi-polar in my opinion.  It just seems Smiley overthinks way too many things.

KISS.

Why are people acting like they were terrible when they gave up a total of 270 yards and 4.3 yards per play?

Teams have more than 270 yards Passing alone many games in today's NFL.

Why is there always such a a disconnect between what the stats say and what people think?

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Just now, Big Turk said:

Why are people acting like they were terrible when they gave up a total of 270 yards and 4.3 yards or play?

Teams have more than 270 yards Passing alone many games in today's NFL.

Why is there always such a a disconnect between what the stats say and what people think?

I didn't think they were terrible at all.  It was a tale of 2 halves.