Bills Coordinators Need To Be Much Better

BillsFan130

19 minutes ago, Allen2D̶i̶g̶g̶s̶TBD said:

I think Brady needs to start the game with some scripted plays to give Josh some easy reads early in the game.

I agree but as the game progresses,  the lack of 1st/2nd down play action is getting ridiculous. It doesn't have to be a deep throw.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

12 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

You think yards is more of a determining factor of performance than points???

Its been pointed out to you our offense only had the ball 3 times in the first half…why are you not believing this was the major contributing factor?

And one of those drives had a 50 yd kick return

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, LABILLBACKER said:

I agree but as the game progresses,  the lack of 1st/2nd down play action is getting ridiculous. It doesn't have to be a deep throw.

It wasn't first down but Allen missed the deep throw from play action.  One of only 5 misses all day though.

I think the D was in tough early in the year and especially in tough when Taron went down early and losing Milano again for most of the year.

Expect the D to round into form by mid season...but the issue I have with this board is we treat "league average" defense as "worst in the NFL by a mile" defense.

And today overall, they were above average. They allowed 270 yards total, 4.3 yards per play and 162 yards Passing.

Sure, would have liked to see them look better in the first half, but overall they recovered nicely and finished pretty strong.

Special teams is meh...they should never kick short again ever.  I know the wind kinda didn't give them much choice tho on that return.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 minute ago, LABILLBACKER said:

I often wonder especially late if it wasn't confidence in having control of game.  Chess match to use those play actions against important match ups later when needed. 

People will disagree, but I don't like the amount of running the offense was doing, even though they ran it well. Maybe that was there plan for the Cardinals, but I don't wanna see that on a weekly basis. Don't go backwards 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

7 minutes ago, Maine-iac said:

It's the big picture.  Those runs set up the passes.  It's like having a good jab in boxing, you have to keep using it to set everything else up.

Good point - a fair statement. What i hate is the conservative playcalling on the last drive 

Just now, rajinka said:

I often wonder especially late if it wasn't confidence in having control of game.  Chess match to use those play actions against important match ups later when needed. 

Yup .................. and we had a TD if Allen hit it.  I hate to keep bringing it up because it sounds like I'm doing an Allen thing.  I'm just trying to say the play calling was good.  We were running well early.  We kept running it enough to set up the passing.  We had a TD shot called based off play action.  Allen didn't hit it.  It was good play calling.

• Like (+1) 2

27 minutes ago, BillsFan130 said:

One thing that stood out to me was the disappointment in our play calling/coordinators:

Smiley- Anything more that needs to be said? Kick Return for a TD is unacceptable 

Babich- Seemed over his head today. It sure looked like at times in the 2nd half McDermott either took over play calling , or at least had an influence on what he wanted to do.

Brady- This is probably a bit of a hot take cause I get the bills scored 34 points...

But he was not good today IMO.

That's a bad defence, and Josh bailed him out with some incredible plays.

How many times did they run it on 1st down today? Seemed super obvious a lot of times.  He also needs to get Kincaid more involved.

Good comeback and good win, but if the bills are gonna go far I think the coaches have to do a much better job

I agree on Smiley - whose ST unit was mediocre at best last season.   I think McDermott wanted to give him a little more time.

I thought Brady called a pretty good game today.  It was a little run heavy for my liking but it was working.  My only problem was continuing to run in the second half after Arizona was selling out to stop it.  Ideally I’d like to more downfield throws but it was his first game.  

Babitch in the first half was really bad but I saw a Bills DL (with the exception of Groot) who failed to win their matchups and Dorian Williams struggling at LB.  

Overall I think OC and DC just need more time

• Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Maine-iac said:

Yup .................. and we had a TD if Allen hit it.  I hate to keep bringing it up because it sounds like I'm doing an Allen thing.  I'm just trying to say the play calling was good.  We were running well early.  We kept running it enough to set up the passing.  We had a TD shot called based off play action.  Allen didn't hit it.  It was good play calling.

And play calling isn't always about this game.  Set up trends for later in year then throw a curveball.  

4 minutes ago, Steptide said:

People will disagree, but I don't like the amount of running the offense was doing, even though they ran it well. Maybe that was there plan for the Cardinals, but I don't wanna see that on a weekly basis. Don't go backwards 

Need to find the right balance but I think this was an example of the team leaning on their advantage 

23 minutes ago, BillsFan130 said:

One thing that stood out to me was the disappointment in our play calling/coordinators:

Smiley- Anything more that needs to be said? Kick Return for a TD is unacceptable 

Babich- Seemed over his head today. It sure looked like at times in the 2nd half McDermott either took over play calling , or at least had an influence on what he wanted to do.

Brady- This is probably a bit of a hot take cause I get the bills scored 34 points...

How many times did they run it on 1st down today? Seemed super obvious a lot of times.  He also needs to get Kincaid more involved.

Good comeback and good win, but if the bills are gonna go far I think the coaches have to do a much better job

Smiley: Yeah the TD return sucked but you gotta kick that in the EZ, especially trying to kill clock. That call is on McD, not Smiley. Also, how the heck does that Pillsbury dough boy outrun everyone to pay dirt? 

Babich: He does look a bit lost but I can't determine if it's his play calling or lack of talent. Yeah, I said it! We got Groot, Oliver and Bernard. And Bernard is not himself w/o Milano.

Brady: Thought he had a pretty good game but got a little conservative and predictable at the end when the team was trying to salt the game away. Everybody ate🤣

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, rajinka said:

And play calling isn't always about this game.  Set up trends for later in year then throw a curveball.  

I like that we have multiple "jabs" now to set up other stuff.  I like that we don't go away from the run but if we are having a hard time running and they are selling out I suspect you will see Kincaid and Shakir get a lot more targets and that will set up Hollins and Coleman outside.

• Like (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, BillsFan130 said:

Seeing as it's the first game of the season and the first real game that all of the new personal have played together in a real game plus being the coordinators first real game i'd say the adjustments that they made to win shows they are on it !

Given just a little bit more time rather than lambasting them in the first game of the season i think they will get better .

• Like (+1) 1

I continue to think a lot of what everyone was seeing, especially in the first half, was actually just rust from guys sitting in the preseason. Not enough live reps. It'll get cleaned up. 

Brady called a great game outside of finishing off that last drive. 

How do you criticize Brady after today?

If not for Allen fumbling and missing MVS they probably score 40+ and its not even a close game

Cook was ripping off 8-9yard runs with alacrity. They spread the ball around to multiple targets. That's what everyone wanted on here. Get rid of Diggs and spread the ball around. 

I guess a few critiques could be no TE or RB screens and no significant misdirection. Though on Allen's second TD run, they lined up a TE(I think it was Kincaid) in the backfield and after faking a throw to the right the TE was supposed to slip out to the left but he got gobbled up in the OL. 

• Like (+1) 3