Bills Coordinators Need To Be Much Better

BillsFan130

Overall I’d give Babich a C and Brady a B

Defense was atrocious in the first half and a lot of it looked like our design was being exploited.  Never seemed like a player talent issue, which fulfilled itself as the defense dominated the Cardinals Offense once they got themselves into better play calls. 

Offense was unstoppable, aside from us stopping ourselves.  Thought we got way too predictable with some of the runs.   Execution was not great, which can be somewhat expected.  Fumble and facemask taking 6-11 points off the board and we let the play clock get to 1 way too often which allowed AZ to perfectly time their run blitzes .. including the Allen keeper at the end of the game that would’ve potentially ended it. 

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, MJS said:

He did like 5 things that other QB's can't do... Not sure what game you watched.

I watched the same game you watched.  He played great and you guys just won’t accept me saying that. 

1 minute ago, GoBills808 said:

Just stop

Lamar Jackson isn’t scoring on that run?  Are you saying Baker with Jackson in space is winning that?  
A bunch of athletic QB’s can score inside the 10.

Again, Allen was the best player on the field.  He played extremely well today.  
Why can’t that be enough?

1 hour ago, billsbackto81 said:

Smiley: Yeah the TD return sucked but you gotta kick that in the EZ, especially trying to kill clock. That call is on McD, not Smiley. Also, how the heck does that Pillsbury dough boy outrun everyone to pay dirt? 

Babich: He does look a bit lost but I can't determine if it's his play calling or lack of talent. Yeah, I said it! We got Groot, Oliver and Bernard. And Bernard is not himself w/o Milano.

Brady: Thought he had a pretty good game but got a little conservative and predictable at the end when the team was trying to salt the game away. Everybody ate🤣

Elam missed. Can’t tackle

The special teams coordinator should be on notice.

Some horrible coverage lapses on d, and the o made money but imo it was mostly Allen being a hero.

I think Brady went to the well too much a the first down runs, they were getting jacked up.  A lil play action mighta broken it early.

I think it's fair to criticize a sloppy game where they came out flat, that's a coaching shortfall 

1 hour ago, BillsFan130 said:

One thing that stood out to me was the disappointment in our play calling/coordinators:

Smiley- Anything more that needs to be said? Kick Return for a TD is unacceptable 

Babich- Seemed over his head today. It sure looked like at times in the 2nd half McDermott either took over play calling , or at least had an influence on what he wanted to do.

Brady- This is probably a bit of a hot take cause I get the bills scored 34 points...

But he was not good today IMO.

That's a bad defence, and Josh bailed him out with some incredible plays.

How many times did they run it on 1st down today? Seemed super obvious a lot of times.  He also needs to get Kincaid more involved.

Good comeback and good win, but if the bills are gonna go far I think the coaches have to do a much better job

Defense was much better in 2nd half.  That's kind of cop out saying they looked good in 2nd half, but it couldn't have been that Babich adjusted. It must have been McD that made the difference.  Certainly is possible, but so far I haven't heard anybody stating that.

9 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Was that the only possible way to score a TD?  I agree, no one else can hurdle a safety but there’s more paths to score.

This is where I feel like there’s kind of a disconnect with Josh Allen and offensive production credit.

When Josh Allen jumps over a guy or runs through three defenders or scrambles around in circles to get an extra 3 seconds to throw a dart in the redzone, I give very little credit to the coordinators. 

It’s easy mode. The play boils down to “run this and if it’s not there, Josh make a play.” You or I could do that.

i think we really take it for granted. 

Can Lamar tuck and run? Of course. 

Can Mahomes run around behind the LOS to find an open guy? Yes. 

But we kind of have the best of both worlds, and we are talking about two other guys who are multiple MVP winners. 

Josh is a red zone threat like no other. He is fifth in rushing TD’s since 2020 among all players.

So yeah, when the coaches say “Josh go make a play” and Josh hurdles an All-Pro safety, I think we should all recognize his individual greatness as being one of two or three guys on the planet who can do that.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, RoscoeParrish said:

This is where I feel like there’s kind of a disconnect with Josh Allen and offensive production credit.

When Josh Allen jumps over a guy or runs through three defenders or scrambles around in circles to get an extra 3 seconds to throw a dart in the redzone, I give very little credit to the coordinators. 

It’s easy mode. The play boils down to “run this and if it’s not there, Josh make a play.” You or I could do that.

But we kind of have the best of both worlds, and we are talking about two other guys who are multiple MVP winners. 

Josh is a red zone threat like no other. He is fifth in rushing TD’s since 2020 among all players.

So yeah, when the coaches say “Josh go make a play” and Josh hurdles an All-Pro safety, I think we should all recognize his individual greatness as being one of two or three guys on the planet who can do that.

He is the ultimate easy button

Folks that don't appreciate that kind of ability need to watch more football imo

13 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Defense was much better in 2nd half.  That's kind of cop out saying they looked good in 2nd half, but it couldn't have been that Babich adjusted. It must have been McD that made the difference.  Certainly is possible, but so far I haven't heard anybody stating that.

In the 1st half I didn't see McDermott have the play sheet.

In the 2nd half on one drive I saw Mcdermott with the play sheet speaking into the mic.

Was he calling plays? No idea, but he was definitely more involved in some way 

33 minutes ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

Cards were likely baiting him into a pick there…the robber was all over that route.  Another moment where the commentator absolutely flubbed the analysis lol the route was leading right into a safety 

Yeah the commentators didn't analyze that play properly. He saw Budda with leverage towards Samuel and wanted no part of that throw. I don't have an issue with the turndown. I have an issue that his inner clock didn't tell him it was time to get out of there or get rid of the ball. But whatever, it's the first offensive drive of week 1.

5 minutes ago, RoscoeParrish said:

Until you watch the film, you don’t know the context of it.  Yes, what you explained Allen extending the play, yes, unreal ability.  But if the play breaks down not because of play call or design, then the coordinator shouldn’t have it held against him.  That’s what’s happening here…not you in particular just some responses in this thread.

Just now, Royale with Cheese said:

Until you watch the film, you don’t know the context of it.  Yes, what you explained Allen extending the play, yes, unreal ability.  But if the play breaks down not because of play call or design, then the coordinator shouldn’t have it held against him.  That’s what’s happening here…not you in particular just some responses in this thread.

Sure it requires more analysis and data. Definitely agree with that.

But that’s kinda the thing. Josh wipes away a lot of mistakes. It could be OC mistakes, receiver mistakes or they can’t get open, bad play design, etc,

If Torrence whiffs on a block and the play is dead from the jump, Josh can still make something out of nothing and hurdle a guy then we can go “well we scored so the OC did something right.” I just don’t agree with that part. 

7 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

He is the ultimate easy button

Folks that don't appreciate that kind of ability need to watch more football imo

Says the guy who said you’re not supposed to play well in the playoffs lol?

Again, if the play breaks down not because of the design then it shouldn’t be held against the OC and that’s what you’re doing.  I do appreciate Allen and I think he’s the second best player but most talented in the league.

But its not enough.

1 minute ago, RoscoeParrish said:

But that’s kinda the thing. Josh wipes away a lot of mistakes. It could be OC mistakes, receiver mistakes or they can’t get open, bad play design, etc,

If Torrence whiffs on a block and the play is dead from the jump, Josh can still make something out of nothing and hurdle a guy then we can go “well we scored so the OC did something right.” I just don’t agree with that part. 

By the same token Josh is so good on so many plays they can't admit when the OC called a great play action play and Allen just missed the TD shot.  I've read dozens of comment saying why run the ball and why no play action and yet we set up the shot, took it, and Allen just missed it.  Can't blame the play caller for that.

32 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Was that the only possible way to score a TD?  I agree, no one else can hurdle a safety but there’s more paths to score.

Maybe not but I am never going to complain when Allen scores in those situations.

2 hours ago, BillsFan130 said:

One thing that stood out to me was the disappointment in our play calling/coordinators:

Smiley- Anything more that needs to be said? Kick Return for a TD is unacceptable 

Babich- Seemed over his head today. It sure looked like at times in the 2nd half McDermott either took over play calling , or at least had an influence on what he wanted to do.

Brady- This is probably a bit of a hot take cause I get the bills scored 34 points...

But he was not good today IMO.

That's a bad defence, and Josh bailed him out with some incredible plays.

How many times did they run it on 1st down today? Seemed super obvious a lot of times.  He also needs to get Kincaid more involved.

Good comeback and good win, but if the bills are gonna go far I think the coaches have to do a much better job

damn i was under the impression that we won today. Guess not according to the guy with lunch meat hanging out of his maw.

3 minutes ago, RoscoeParrish said:

Yes he does wipe away the mistakes which is why he’s so great.  But people are saying he “saved Brady” as in its Brady’s fault every time the play breaks down.  

We put up 34 points.  Allen was the main engine behind it but man, its a team game and he still has open WR’s to throw to, holes to run through, jump balls won, time to throw etc….other players and coaches deserve at least a little credit.  Allen just doesn’t misses less which is why he’s great.

7 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Maybe not but I am never going to complain when Allen scores in those situations.

Im not either.  He was the best player in the NFL in week 1 so far.

I thought we played very well on offense overall besides the penalties.  We executed very well otherwise with a small amount of mistakes. 

If our defense gets off the field in the first half, I think we put 40+ up.