Bills Coordinators Need To Be Much Better

BillsFan130

One thing that stood out to me was the disappointment in our play calling/coordinators:

Smiley- Anything more that needs to be said? Kick Return for a TD is unacceptable 

Babich- Seemed over his head today. It sure looked like at times in the 2nd half McDermott either took over play calling , or at least had an influence on what he wanted to do.

Brady- This is probably a bit of a hot take cause I get the bills scored 34 points...

But he was not good today IMO.

That's a bad defence, and Josh bailed him out with some incredible plays.

How many times did they run it on 1st down today? Seemed super obvious a lot of times.  He also needs to get Kincaid more involved.

Good comeback and good win, but if the bills are gonna go far I think the coaches have to do a much better job

• Like (+1) 12
  • Vomit 2
  • Eyeroll 7
  • Disagree 6
  • Agree 7
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Dislike 5

I saw at least 3 missed tackles on the kick return and Brady was great.  I'm betting no one told Bass to kick it out of bounds on the kickoff either.  The defense I certainly agree but I guess whatever they did at least the second half was better.

• Like (+1) 1

I have no issues with the offensive play calling. Sure, I didn’t like that 3rd down call late and would have liked to have seen a couple more play action on 1st down but they put up 34.

The defense was awful in the first half and pretty darn good in the second.

Bass was a positive until he kicked the f’n ball OB. 

On to week 2.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 4

I mean the defense adjusted and allowed just 3 points in the 2nd half.  And Brady and the offense put up 34 points despite the fact Allen had just 2 pass attempts with just over 2 min to go in the first half thanks to some OL miscues and an Allen fumble.

So if anything, I feel like the Coordinators showed they can figure it out and adjust, which IMHO is the most important part of their job.

I really liked what I saw with Brady today too.  

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 18
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

The offense was great really.  Only 3 bad plays (outside of penalties) that I can thing of.

1- Allen’s fumble

2- on one third down Allen threw it to Ty Johnson (?) who was open, but it was at his feet. 
3- the rushed 3rd down QB run on our last drive.  Play came in late, no times to audible off the showing blitz, should have called TO.  

I believe we had one punt.  The one turnover and then the one mishap rushed at the play clock.  Only the last one would be on Brady IMO 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Brady had a good game as a coordinator.  We put up 34 points with a redzone turnover and the offense only having the ball 3 times in the first half.

We had WR open, Allen had time to throw, we had good designed runs…

You know what you’re supposed to do against bad defenses?  Put up 30+ points in which we did.  

Some people will just never give a coordinator credit.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Eyeroll 2
  • Agree 4
  • Thank you (+1) 3

1 minute ago, peterpan said:

The offense was great really.  Only 3 bad plays (outside of penalties) that I can thing of.

1- Allen’s fumble

2- on one third down Allen threw it to Ty Johnson (?) who was open, but it was at his feet. 
3- the rushed 3rd down QB run on our last drive.  Play came in late, no times to audible off the showing blitz, should have called TO.  

I believe we had one punt.  The one turnover and then the one mishap rushed at the play clock.  Only the last one would be on Brady IMO 

I definitely won't deny the offensive production, but how much of that was Josh putting on the cape?

He saved at least two drives with some next level 3rd down plays that only

him and Mahomes can make

1 minute ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Brady had a good game as a coordinator.  We put up 34 points with a redzone turnover and the offense only having the ball 3 times in the first half.

We had WR open, Allen had time to throw, we had good designed runs…

You know what you’re supposed to do against bad defenses?  Put up 30+ points in which we did.  

Some people will just never give a coordinator credit.

If you liked his game plan that's totally fair.

But I don't look at points and determine whether it was good or bad as there's a lot of context

Josh saved a lot of drives with heroic plays. And they got 352 yards, that's really not great against a bad defence at home 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 3
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, BillsFan130 said:

I definitely won't deny the offensive production, but how much of that was Josh putting on the cape?

him and Mahomes can make

Unless the other 10 players on offense just stood still after the snap…they all contributed.  
It amazes me people do not think football is team game or something.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Just now, Royale with Cheese said:

Unless the other 10 players on offense just stood still after the snap…they all contributed.  
It amazes me people do not think football is team game or something.

It's a team game. But it's also a QB driven game, and Josh is a unicorn that made clutch 3rd down plays that no other QBs can make today. (Outside of Mahomes)

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, BillsFan130 said:

him and Mahomes can make

If you liked his game plan that's totally fair.

But I don't look at points and determine whether it was good or bad as there's a lot of context

Josh saved a lot of drives with heroic plays. And they got 352 yards, that's really not great against a bad defence at home 

You think yards is more of a determining factor of performance than points???

Its been pointed out to you our offense only had the ball 3 times in the first half…why are you not believing this was the major contributing factor?

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, BillsFan130 said:

him and Mahomes can make

That’s always gonna be part of Josh Allen’s game though, so not really fair to take anything away from Brady because Allen does some amazing things IMHO. 

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Royale with Cheese said:

You think yards is more of a determining factor of performance than points???

Its been pointed out to you our offense only had the ball 3 times in the first half…why are you not believing this was the major contributing factor?

No but I also think it's a factor.

Points, yards, field position, having a unicorn QB who can bail you out lol. 

I'm saying it's not "just points".

Fair though, thats a good point you bring up in terms of only having the ball 3 times in the 1st half.

13 hours ago, BillsFan130 said:

It's a team game. But it's also a QB driven game, and Josh is a unicorn that made clutch 3rd down plays that no other QBs can make today. (Outside of Mahomes)

Josh had a great game but he didn’t do anything today that was spectacular than no one else can do.  

**I am adding this in because to be more clear.  Im not saying Allen wasn’t great.  He was the best player on the field and usually is.  But Im sorry, he isn’t the only QB in the league that can evade a rush and make a great throw after.  Or escape the pocket and make an athletic play to get in the endzone. He just does it more often…I just don’t agree with “no one else can do it”. 

Edited by Royale with Cheese
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Shocked 2
  • Disagree 1

1 minute ago, Alphadawg7 said:

That’s always gonna be part of Josh Allen’s game though, so not really fair to take anything away from Brady because Allen does some amazing things IMHO. 

Fair enough. Maybe I'm being a bit hard on him. I Just found a lot of the play calling seemed a bit predictable 

10 minutes ago, Beast said:

I have no issues with the offensive play calling. Sure, I didn’t like that 3rd down call late and would have liked to have seen a couple more play action on 1st down but they put up 34.

The defense was awful in the first half and pretty darn good in the second.

Bass was a positive until he kicked the f’n ball OB. 

On to week 2.

Scored 34 but still didn’t like Brady’s coaching. Way too any penalties (I know that’s prob on the players but still th oline wasn’t good). He didn’t get Kinkaid the ball, no misdirection runs (end arounds to Samuel??) and when the run is averaging 3.9 yards per carry vs 10 yards per pass attempt, you don’t run the ball 8 more times than you pass. Conservarive Play along on the last drive could have easily lot them the game. You play to win, not to not lose.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Disagree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Turbo44 said:

Scored 34 but still didn’t like Brady’s coaching. Way too any penalties (I know that’s prob on the players but still th oline wasn’t good). He didn’t get Kinkaid the ball, no misdirection runs (end arounds to Samuel??) and when the run is averaging 3.9 yards per carry vs 10 yards per pass attempt, you don’t run the ball 8 more times than you pass. Conservarive Play along on the last drive could have easily lot them the game. You play to win, not to not lose.

Great post. This is exactly how I saw it as well 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Josh had a great game but he didn’t do anything today that was spectacular than no one else can do.  

Am i misunderstanding you or did you just say any quarterback could do what Josh did today?

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1