James Cook - good start but brutal numbers after that

dave mcbride

3 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

That’s kind of my point. You have a great qb. Try play action there.

I wonder if Allen's hand made them play conservative there. The final pass we saw from him skipped off the turf and it was all runs the rest of the way. I know it's his off-hand but it still effects his mechanics to some degree. Hopefully it isn't a major problem moving forward.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

29 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Not saying it’s his fault at all and he was hurt by penalty calls on good runs. But:

first 6 runs: 45 yards

final 13 runs: 26 yards

The bigger takeaway is that AZ figured out the Bills running game and the Bills still stuck with it. They had some good run blitzes. Incidentally, I hated the second and 3 call on the Bills last possession (from AZ’s 21 yard line or so). Do play action and end the game. Instead, it was Cook up the middle for zilch. And then an entirely predictable Josh run. It’s as if they were afraid to pass and sacrifice clock eating, but AZ had 3 timeouts.

Pathetic play calling, Brady has to be better than that, if he can’t figure out trends he’s not very smart., If a McDermott was the cause of this FFS He’ll never learn.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Cook played hard and contributed a lot.  The second half run game counter-adjustments were not there.  But we scored more points in the second half, and we had contributions from our other backs as well.  

Edited by Bob in STL

1 minute ago, Meatloaf63 said:

Pathetic play calling, Brady has to be better than that, if he can’t figure out trends he’s not very smart., If a McDermott was the cause of this FFS He’ll never learn.

Brady did about as well as I expected, which is to say he was fine. No more, no less. I saw nothing from our offense today that makes me think he is close to a top 10 play caller. As usual it's going to fall on Josh to carry the offense. Teams are going to run blitz us and dare our pass catchers to get open.

• Like (+1) 1

We ran it so well, Cards focused on it and stopped it, we need to get more out of the pass game when they’re focused on clamping the run.  Hope we get a better pass run mix when the opponent is selling against the run.  Wilson Jr looked like Ray Lewis on those run blitzes. 

We should be a team that uses the pass to set up the run. We’re trying to do the opposite, and don’t know when to give it up. I think that’s why Cook’s number dropped, it wasn’t all on him. I’d love to hear from someone who is more knowledgeable, but to me this Brady scheme seems slightly simplistic. 

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, bouds said:

We ran it so well, Cards focused on it and stopped it, we need to get more out of the pass game when they’re focused on clamping the run.  Hope we get a better pass run mix when the opponent is selling against the run.  Wilson Jr looked like Ray Lewis on those run blitzes. 

Ten more passes than runs with Josh Allen as your qb🤦‍♂️ FFS pathetic. The guys were making catches too. It wasn’t like Allen couldn’t handle the conditions.

• Agree 1

9 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Brady did about as well as I expected, which is to say he was fine. No more, no less. I saw nothing from our offense today that makes me think he is close to a top 10 play caller. As usual it's going to fall on Josh to carry the offense. Teams are going to run blitz us and dare our pass catchers to get open.

I honestly think we as fans are a little numbed to the level that Allen has to play at for us to be successful

That was a massive effort for beating what's likely to be a bad NFL defense by 6

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, SirAndrew said:

We should be a team that uses the pass to set up the run. We’re trying to do the opposite, and don’t know when to give it up. I think that’s why Cook’s number dropped, it wasn’t all on him. I’d love to hear from someone who is more knowledgeable, but to me this Brady scheme seems slightly simplistic. 

I like the more balanced approach honestly. Using pass to set up run means you gonna have Josh throwing 30-35 times a game. Thats too much imo considering the way Josh Allen can be careless with the ball. Just need to get more play action on 1st down

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

I wonder if Allen's hand made them play conservative there. The final pass we saw from him skipped off the turf and it was all runs the rest of the way. I know it's his off-hand but it still effects his mechanics to some degree. Hopefully it isn't a major problem moving forward.

He had a couple of excellent passes after the left hand injury though. Not buying that. Also, on the third down play on the penultimate possession where it was a designed run, he was FAR more likely to hurt his hand further by running rather than throwing.

Edited by dave mcbride

We ran on 1st down something like 10 of the last 11 series. Too predictable, and we failed to take advantage of all the 1st down run blitzes.

Edited by 947
  • Like (+1) 2