James Cook - good start but brutal numbers after that

dave mcbride

Not saying it’s his fault at all and he was hurt by penalty calls on good runs. But:

first 6 runs: 45 yards

final 13 runs: 26 yards

The bigger takeaway is that AZ figured out the Bills running game and the Bills still stuck with it. They had some good run blitzes. Incidentally, I hated the second and 3 call on the Bills last possession (from AZ’s 21 yard line or so). Do play action and end the game. Instead, it was Cook up the middle for zilch. And then an entirely predictable Josh run. It’s as if they were afraid to pass and sacrifice clock eating, but AZ had 3 timeouts.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, dave mcbride said:

Not saying it’s his fault at all and he was hurt by penalty calls on good runs. But:

The bigger takeaway is that AZ figured out the Bills running game and the Bills still stuck with it. They had some good run blitzes. Incidentally, I hated the second and 3 call on the Bills last possession (from AZ’s 21 yard line or so). Do play action and end the game. Instead, it was Cook up the middle for zilch. And then an entirely predictable Josh run. It’s as if they were afraid to pass and sacrifice clock eating, but AZ had 3 timeouts.

They were crashing to stop the run you’re going to have that happen. I wish they would have run a reverse with Samuel  or something to throw them off but it was week 1 and I don’t have much problem with the game plan.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Saw at least 3 runs that went nowhere where blockers either whiffed or didn't bother blocking anyone around the edge.

(Dawkins, Knox, and Kincaid).

2 minutes ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

They were crashing to stop the run you’re going to have that happen. I wish they would have run a reverse with Samuel  or something to throw them off but it was week 1 and I don’t have much problem with the game plan.

A nice RB screen would be a great add for this offense.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 4

4 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

, I hated the second and 3 call on the Bills last possession (from AZ’s 21 yard line or so). Do play action and end the game. Instead, it was Cook up the middle for zilch. And then an entirely predictable Josh run. It’s as if they were afraid to pass and sacrifice clock eating, but AZ had 3 timeouts.

This will never change under McD. Not the play calls specifically but the mentality.

You play to win the game VS You play not to lose the game.

One is daring

One is scared 

To repeat for those on the back, a team takes on the personality of its leader.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 3
  • Disagree 2
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

They were stuffing the box because it was obvious the Bills were trying to salt away the clock. Maybe if Brady sprinkled in a few tosses and some quick screens on 1st down instead of being soooooo predictable Cook might have broke a few. He looked really good the 1st half, especially between the tackles. Still finished with really good numbers.

1 minute ago, TFBillsfan said:

A nice RB screen would be a great add for this offense.

Not sure we're athletic enough up front to be a good screen team. 🤷‍♂️

• Agree 1

Just now, Buffalo Boy said:

This will never change under McD. Not the play calls specifically but the mentality.

You play to win the game VS You play not to lose the game.

One is daring

One is scared 

To repeat for those on the back, a team takes on the personality of its leader.

Mc13 is a scared conservative child.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

8 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

A lot of those runs at the end were also when they knew we were trying to run out the clock a bit. Always harder sledding uphill in those situations.

3 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

A lot of those runs at the end were also when they knew we were trying to run out the clock a bit. Always harder sledding uphill in those situations.

That’s kind of my point. You have a great qb. Try play action there.

• Thank you (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

The play calling was awful.  Cardinals were selling out to stop the run and they kept running it up the gut.  A few play action calls would have killed them.  Josh Allen is your QB FFS! Let him eat.

• Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1