Coleman first game

DBilz2500

Just now, Dan in Owego said:

Playing him that way on the fade, look for to him plant and drive toward the pylon in the future.

Absolutely.

They are going ot have some options to torture corners going forward

• Like (+1) 2

I'll be the one to say it - what he did on the field was more impressive than what Worthy did on the field. Still not expecting him to be a dominant force or anything like that this year but you can see the raw skills that made him a good pick at that spot. Drawing two flags should count in his favor as well.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

I was really pleased with his game. The penalties he drew. That catch down the sideline. I think he'll have some games where he gets zero catches, but mixed in will be some spectacular catches that help us win games. I'll be okay with that from a rookie. 

• Agree 1

The catch where the DB was all over him, pulling his jersey, no DPI call, and Coleman just said "MY BALL!!!!"  Didn't wait for the refs, even though that was DPI all day long.  I don't remember the last time a Bills receiver just ripped away the ball with such complete authority.  That's my WR!!!!

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

1 hour ago, DBilz2500 said:

Was pretty impressed with Coleman’s first game-4 catches for 51 yards with the big 29 yard catch in the 4th quarter. Thought he also blocked well on the few running plays I watched him specifically. 

I believe he also drew a DPI and a defensive holding penalty.

• Like (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

The way he moved out there weirdly reminds me of Stevie Johnson

Basketball background. 

Really knows how to use is body to shield off defenders. At first I thought he pushed off on his long reception but he didn't. He boxed out the defender like he was positioning for a rebound.

• Agree 1

54 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

Happy he had a good first game.  That said, he still will have to answer the question about creating space.

Also it was a push off

Well then we will have to just live with the one push off they call out of every 10 he does which is totally fine.  Pretty sure that is about the rate the officials tend to call push offs on the offense. 

Fact is Keon was called for zero penalties today while he drew two flags on the defense. 

• Like (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, Einstein said:

The catch he made on the sidelines was better than any catch Worthy made this week, i’ll tell ya that.

It was special.

It got me excited.

That's along what I was thinking. Yes, Worthy got the splash play TDs but they were on a trick play end around and a busted coverage. I haven't yet seen the nuances to be a WR at the highest level there 

Coleman's routes and body positions was perfect 

• Agree 2

Just now, billsbackto81 said:

Really knows how to use is body to shield off defenders. At first I thought he pushed off on his long reception but he didn't. He boxed out the defender like he was positioning for a rebound.

Yeah, he was actually being interfered with when the ball was coming in.

The corner was tearing at the front collar of his jersey and it didn't affect Coleman at all. :lol:

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

56 minutes ago, Simon said:

It was a skilled and intelligent pushoff though.

He understands to make the motion quick and violent, before the top of the route while the ref is shielded and doing it without extending his arm.

Very effective and will typically go uncalled.

Yep, officials just are not that likely to call a WR for contact. Tee Higgins had a massive pull down (wasn't a push off but rather a big grab and pull) on Ramsey in the Super Bowl that enabled him to get position to catch the ball and it went uncalled for a TD. 

2 minutes ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

Coleman's routes and body positions was perfect 

The basketball background really shows. He's comfortable with body contact. Probably part of the reason why he doesn't get a lot of separation. He's not really trying to get separation. 

Really good first game for a rookie.  He led the team in targets, catches, receiving yards.  Big contested catch.  Drew two penalties.   

He looks like an impressive physical specimen that likes to play football.   

Edited by Bob in STL
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Big Turk said:

I mean that's a fair point, I guess I am questioning the logic of that play when the clear advantage would be for throwing short, having Coleman turn around and box out the shorter player.

Allen has never been good inside the 5 yard line on passes...he was worst in the NFL the last few years 

Could that stat be skewed because Josh like to take off and run when that close?