Coleman first game

DBilz2500

14 hours ago, HappyDays said:

I'll be the one to say it - what he did on the field was more impressive than what Worthy did on the field. Still not expecting him to be a dominant force or anything like that this year but you can see the raw skills that made him a good pick at that spot. Drawing two flags should count in his favor as well.

You're not the only one who thought it. Yes, Worthy has an incredible spark. But so far it's been on a gadget play and a blown coverage while Rasheed Rice was picking the Ravens apart. I'm not trying to diminish the threat he is and can be.

But those kinds of opportunities fade as people get tape on a guy. Route running, size mismatches and contested catch ability is harder to game plan for each week.

Who knows what's in store long term but I'm happy with Coleman so far.

• Like (+1) 2

15 hours ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

I also want to point out the two penalties he drew which were instant first downs. He has such a mismatch the only way to slow him was blatant penalties 

I was thinking the same thing, those didnt show up on the stat sheet, but definitely impacted the game in a big way. 

14 hours ago, ColoradoBills said:

I was thinking the same thing.

Also worth repeating is the fact that Josh had receptions from 9 different receivers with 10 being "targeted".

Everyone will dine at the table.  Although, some will eat more.  LOL.

everybody eats and all are hungry. And we lost the primadonna who thought the only way to win was through Him. Hungry for the ball and selfishness are 2 different things IMO. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

As a guy who didn't want Coleman (which doesn't mean anything, because I didn't want Allen either), I will say:

Impressive day for the rook. If he contributed like this all season long, it would equate to 85 catches for 867 yards. That would be a very good rookie season.

The "***** it, Keon is down there somewhere" ball he heaved down field, where Coleman big boy'd the defender and got the Bills into the red zone? Awesome stuff. Josh hasn't had that kind of receiver in...um...ever?

Great start. Can't wait to see him grow. I hope he makes me look as wrong and stupid for my draft day take as Josh Allen has made me look for that one.

• Like (+1) 3

18 hours ago, Simon said:

It was a skilled and intelligent pushoff though.

He understands to make the motion quick and violent, before the top of the route while the ref is shielded and doing it without extending his arm.

Very effective and will typically go uncalled.

The Gronk technique

Well, since America did a group hot-take after Worthy's game - I'll do one here.

If that's how both WR's are going to be for their teams - both teams got "their guy."  Worthy would not be what WE need - he is more a complement to their offense than a guy who could be their #1.  Coleman WILL be our #1, and is capable of being that kind of player. 

You can tell JA trusts him already, and he'll be at the top of the "trust" list when he's throwing the ball, even if he's covered.

My guess would be that it will be evaluated as a good trade for both teams when all is said & done.

• Agree 3

During the college season last year, I told my son that I would love for Buffalo to trade up into the teens to draft Coleman... then as the draft approached, his stock fell. I I was super excited he was there for us to pick, then we traded out of the first... and still landed him! He was my choice after Harrison Jr. and Nabers.

2 hours ago, Logic said:

As a guy who didn't want Coleman (which doesn't mean anything, because I didn't want Allen either), I will say:

Impressive day for the rook. If he contributed like this all season long, it would equate to 85 catches for 867 yards. That would be a very good rookie season.

The "***** it, Keon is down there somewhere" ball he heaved down field, where Coleman big boy'd the defender and got the Bills into the red zone? Awesome stuff. Josh hasn't had that kind of receiver in...um...ever?

Great start. Can't wait to see him grow. I hope he makes me look as wrong and stupid for my draft day take as Josh Allen has made me look for that one.

Exactly!  I was saying this during the game.  The guy next to me at the bar was moaning about we "could've had Worthy", and fine, whatever.  But he did concede that we've seen guys make those contested catches against us a million times, but we haven't had one of those made for us in pretty much Allen's whole career.  It's nice to have a guy who can win even when the corner has good coverage.

I was also pleasantly surprised by his snap count - leading all Bills WRs.  I think the coaching staff has a lot of trust in him already, which bodes well.  He's a good blocker, a potential deep threat (as we saw on his big catch), and can chip in some RAC as well.

1 hour ago, Success said:

Well, since America did a group hot-take after Worthy's game - I'll do one here.

If that's how both WR's are going to be for their teams - both teams got "their guy."  Worthy would not be what WE need - he is more a complement to their offense than a guy who could be their #1.  Coleman WILL be our #1, and is capable of being that kind of player. 

You can tell JA trusts him already, and he'll be at the top of the "trust" list when he's throwing the ball, even if he's covered.

My guess would be that it will be evaluated as a good trade for both teams when all is said & done.

Agreed.  So far, Worthy seems like mostly a gadget guy, and a really good one.  Andy Reid will make great use of him, I'm sure.  Having that speed to keep the safeties deep wouldn't be bad, but I think the Bills had an even greater need for a guy like Coleman.

• Like (+1) 1

21 hours ago, sven233 said:

This is what we are going to need out of him this year.  He's going to have a rough go of it at times until he learns how to get off of press consistently.  He's obviously not going to run by or run away from anyone, so he needs to impact the game in other ways and making a tightly contested catch in a big moment for a big play is how he can help us until he learns the nuances of the game.

Instead of Josh Allen risking injury bulldozing or hurdling into the end zone, we should direct high contested throws to Coleman,that should be a signature play for use with his height, wingspan and physicality.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Prospector said:

During the college season last year, I told my son that I would love for Buffalo to trade up into the teens to draft Coleman... then as the draft approached, his stock fell. I I was super excited he was there for us to pick, then we traded out of the first... and still landed him! He was my choice after Harrison Jr. and Nabers.

Prospector:  I’ve been right there with ya.

21 hours ago, thenorthremembers said:

Happy he had a good first game.  That said, he still will have to answer the question about creating space.

Also it was a push off

He pushed off…. But it wasn’t a push off penalty.  All pass catchers push off.  You’re allowed to push off…to an extent.  He was within his right.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, NewEra said:

He pushed off…. But it wasn’t a push off penalty.  All pass catchers push off.  You’re allowed to push off…to an extent.  He was within his right.  

I don't believe he fully extended his arms which is when it typically gets called.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Instead of Josh Allen risking injury bulldozing or hurdling into the end zone, we should direct high contested throws to Coleman,that should be a signature play for use with his height, wingspan and physicality.

We'll see that throughout the season 

But Josh running inside the five.. probably a 70% success rate 

That fade is well under that.. there's a time and place for everything 

But inside the five I'm running Josh.. or giving him run pass options or a quick rub route with an occasional fade 

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, TheWeatherMan said:

Looked like a solid draft pick to me.  Although, he didn’t score 2 TDs in his premier like a certain other WR 😝 

You would

1 minute ago, Big Turk said:

I don't believe he fully extended his arms which is when it typically gets called.

💯 -That’s my point. You can push off, to and extent- full extension

• Haha (+1) 1