Ingram over Elam

Ya Digg?

Others have said it already, but:

The Bills went to a dime look late in the game because they didn't trust Dorian Williams in coverage. 

Typically, Cam Lewis would be that third safety/slot hybrid defender. Because he was forced to play nickel with Taron Johnson out, though, it meant that someone else needed to come in as the sixth defensive back. Elam apparently exclusively plays boundary corner, whereas Ingram plays inside/outside. 

Essentially, Elam would have been playing a position he hasn't practiced all offseason. If Benford or Douglas were to have missed any snaps, I sense Elam would have replaced them. Instead, it was essentially Cam Lewis as a third safety that needed replacing, and Ingram was the guy.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

1 hour ago, The Jokeman said:

Ingram and Lewis played for Taron of the two Lewis was much better IMO. 

Not quite. Lewis played for Taron, then Ingram came in for the dime package - 4 DBs. You might be right thought that in those packages Ingram essentially played as the nickel and Lewis reverted to dime (in fact I think you are right about that). But it in the Bills nickel base it was all Lewis as the nickel. 

26 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Not quite. Lewis played for Taron, then Ingram came in for the dime package - 4 DBs. You might be right thought that in those packages Ingram essentially played as the nickel and Lewis reverted to dime (in fact I think you are right about that). But it in the Bills nickel base it was all Lewis as the nickel. 

Going forward I think you see dime with 3 safties.  Lewis looked really good at nickel.  Before getting hurt he was beating Johnson out for the job in 21.  If Johnson misses any time I have Lewis concentrate on that role.  I think Edwards would be smart add based off where Miami likes to attack.  Put either Rapp or Edward closer to the box in the seem area.  By not having Hyde, Poyer, Milano I think you will see different bodies and different coverages than in years past.  

9 hours ago, BigDingus said:

Because Elam isn't good.

This board likes him waaaay more than our coaches do.

Thing is, he had a really good pre-season so we thought he may have worked his way up the depth chart.  But it looks as though his place on the depth chart is backup Outside DB, whereas they are seeing Ingram as more versatile - able to play dime, nickel etc and, in fact, used him in that role.

It could be that if Elam masters outside corner, they will start working him in at nickel or dime, but here's my issue with that: to play in the box, smaller guys have to really be willing to hit hard.  The "F = ma" equation means, less mass, need more acceleration to get 'er done.  Elam just doesn't seem like that guy who is willing to sacrifice his body to tackle Derrick Henry or similar

51 minutes ago, Logic said:

Others have said it already, but:

The Bills went to a dime look late in the game because they didn't trust Dorian Williams in coverage. 

Typically, Cam Lewis would be that third safety/slot hybrid defender. Because he was forced to play nickel with Taron Johnson out, though, it meant that someone else needed to come in as the sixth defensive back. Elam apparently exclusively plays boundary corner, whereas Ingram plays inside/outside. 

Essentially, Elam would have been playing a position he hasn't practiced all offseason. If Benford or Douglas were to have missed any snaps, I sense Elam would have replaced them. Instead, it was essentially Cam Lewis as a third safety that needed replacing, and Ingram was the guy.

This is it, with the added proviso that it may be, as others have said, that when Ingram came in, he played nickel while Lewis played dime.

Either way, your point stands - Elam has not been getting any looks at nickel or dime.  Set the kid up for success, don't throw him in the blender and watch him whirl

Edited by Beck Water
  • Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Do you think other GMs don't watch our game film? If he sucks, they know too.

But he doesn't suck at CB. He has 4 career INTs compared to Benford. He had two post-season INTs compared to zero for Benford. 

I agree tacking is an issue for Elam but Tre White couldn't tackle anyone either.

5 hours ago, Sargent Hulka said:

Did Cole Bishop see the field at all? Second Round pick.

He is still recovering from probable broken scapula though I dont think Bills ever officially said what his injury was. He was inactive.