Ingram over Elam

Ya Digg?

3 hours ago, MJS said:

I really don't get it. I mean, Ingram is fine. He is promising depth. But Elam is pretty good when he plays and makes impact plays, although he is a bit of a roller coaster.

It is the roller coaster thing, as they won't put players out there if they are not consistent, unless they are forced to.

A few bad plays by one player can destroy a good game.

Just now, Mister Defense said:

It is the roller coaster thing, as they won't put players out there if they are not consistent, unless they are forced to.

A few bad plays by one player can destroy a good game.

I just found out that Ingram was playing as a third safety in dime packages, not at outside corner. Since Cam Lewis had to play full time at the nickel corner position, Ingram had to be the 3rd safety.

• Like (+1) 2

Taron Johnson got hurt.  Elam isn't a slot corner.  I believe Lewis and Ingram are the guys on the roster will reps in the slot, but I could be wrong.  The depth chart show Elam as Douglas' backup.

Edit:  The article on ESPN says Lewis played Johnson's role and Ingram played in dime formations. 

Edited by GASabresIUFan
  • Like (+1) 3

4 hours ago, Livinginthepast said:

Elam still looks to me that he can be coached up to NFL level. But why are the Bills not doing that?

McD's D is a system D, and Elans great athletic skils don't translate apparently.  Another case like ronald Darby who now starts for the Jags btw.  I don't like that method, as I always found , in my business, the best result was to taylor the system to the talent available, and not be rigid about the system.  So, I am not a McD believer in that regard.

• Eyeroll 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Elam has repeatedly had problems tackling.  His coverage has improved to the point where he could arguably be counted on but he has yet to string together a series of games where he doesn't miss some tackles that make you think you will never stop the other teams rushing attack with him in the game.  Today there were 3 guys the kick returner ran through and they were 5, 41, and 22.  That would be Elam, Gilliam, and Davis with the majority of the blame landing on Elam.

• Disagree 1

Waiting for some all 22 but Murray averaged 5 yards per pass and the two big missed tackles I've seen in the replays so far were Bernard and later Elam (on the kickoff coverage).  It would easy to say it was a problem with the safeties but I haven't seen that yet.  Not saying it isn't true but my thinking is the first half scheme needed a change and then everything got better.

• Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, Nelius said:

I don’t understand Elam, at all. There’s no scenario at this point that makes sense. Even if you hate him then trade him. 3 years of McD doghouse hoarding is insanity.

then I also remember that Tommy Doyle is still technically weirdly on this team. No doubt this regime does some odd stuff 

Doyle is on IR, that's a bit different.

3 minutes ago, billsbackto81 said:

Fat chance. McD treats rookies with kid gloves.

I mean, Coleman was our leading WR today. Kincaid was getting meaningful snaps early on. Benford as a rookie was an early contributor until he was injured. Torrence literally played 100% of the snaps last year as a rookie and as a starter. 

Early on in his tenure McD was a bit reluctant to let the rooks get out there and play but the last few years has seen them much more involved 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Florida Bills Fanatic said:

Could be planning to trade Elam and don't want him injured.  Otherwise, I have no clue what they are thinking.

Elam was playing ST

6 hours ago, BuffaloRebound said:

Elam is #5 right? That was a pathetic attempt at a tackle on the kickoff return TD.  

Yes, Elam is #5

And yes, I have never seen Elam tackle like he means it

6 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Healthy scratch

No, Elam was active

From bills site:’

The Buffalo Bills are listing the following players as INACTIVE for Sunday's Week 1 game against the Arizona Cardinals:

S Cole Bishop

LB Joe Andreessen

LB Eddie Ulofoshio

DE Javon Solomon

C Sedrick Van-Pran Granger

OL Ryan Van Demark

DE Dawuane Smoot

Buffalo activated OL Will Clapp and DE Kameron Cline from the practice squad.

6 hours ago, gonzo1105 said:

Ingram wasn’t good besides the last play. I was surprised he was on the field so much 

I don’t think Ingram was on the field much, but if he was it was as a dime back

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, KingBoots8 said:

I mean, Coleman was our leading WR today. Kincaid was getting meaningful snaps early on. Benford as a rookie was an early contributor until he was injured. Torrence literally played 100% of the snaps last year as a rookie and as a starter. 

Early on in his tenure McD was a bit reluctant to let the rooks get out there and play but the last few years has seen them much more involved 

McDermott has always played rookies. Tre White and Tremaine Edmunds played right away. Elam and a couple others haven't, and it is because they have been inconsistent.

1 hour ago, Beck Water said:

I don’t think Ingram was on the field much, but if he was it was as a dime back

He played as a third safety in dime packages. It is what Cam Lewis would have done if he wasn't starting in place for Johnson.

• Like (+1) 3