When opposing QBs slide

Haplo848

Watching that first drive of the Bills game, and remembering past games, like against Dak and the Cowboys, I can't help but feel like when the opposing QB scrambles, he's got three choices. Go down early, making it clear he's sliding, go out of bounds, or he should be absolutely lit up every single time. Make him pay for running.

Now, you might say, "We can't do that, we'll get flagged." My response is "How is that any different from what happens already?" We always get flagged because the opposing QB always slides way too late, after the defender has always launched. A lot of QBs will try to squeeze out every single yard they can, then draw a 15 yard penalty on top of it. Sometimes, the QB isn't even down yet before they're hit. Even when the defender does what the NFL wants, and goes over the top of them, like today, we're still flagged. So if we're going to be flagged no matter what, make sure the hits count. Make sure the opposing QB feels it. Make the QB learn that you better get down early, or you're going to get blown up.

The NFL has gone so far in trying to protect the QB, that's its literally become the better option for defenders to hit QBs as hard as they can, because they will get flagged anyways. 

• Agree 2

3 minutes ago, Beast said:

Fines.

Fines will stop defenders from doing that.

Not if “contract bonuses” for positive plays are equal or more than the fine, nudge nudge wink wink, say no more…, 🤣

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Haplo848 said:

Watching that first drive of the Bills game, and remembering past games, like against Dak and the Cowboys, I can't help but feel like when the opposing QB scrambles, he's got three choices. Go down early, making it clear he's sliding, go out of bounds, or he should be absolutely lit up every single time. Make him pay for running.

Now, you might say, "We can't do that, we'll get flagged." My response is "How is that any different from what happens already?" We always get flagged because the opposing QB always slides way too late, after the defender has always launched. A lot of QBs will try to squeeze out every single yard they can, then draw a 15 yard penalty on top of it. Sometimes, the QB isn't even down yet before they're hit. Even when the defender does what the NFL wants, and goes over the top of them, like today, we're still flagged. So if we're going to be flagged no matter what, make sure the hits count. Make sure the opposing QB feels it. Make the QB learn that you better get down early, or you're going to get blown up.

The NFL has gone so far in trying to protect the QB, that's its literally become the better option for defenders to hit QBs as hard as they can, because they will get flagged anyways. 

Have thought this exact thing for years.  Said the same thing again today. 

players would get fined but so what 

QBs, as they are now more athletic, are sliding very late, then jerking their upper body towards the ground and then looking at the refs.  They are taking notes from Allen lol

The NFL needs to figure this out.

Josh had a very awkward slide yesterday and his slide in the pre-season game was ugly too.  I almost feel like QBs put themselves at more risk by sliding, especially on artificial turf.