Around the NFL Week 1

HappyDays

Let's give Watson a break.  He's no Brett Favre, and maybe that's a good thing.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/browns-deshaun-watson-says-loss-of-father-friend-took-emotional-toll-heading-into-week-1-game-vs-cowboys/ar-AA1qgYPj?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=HCTS&cvid=2be384ce24f3492c816944328065ff8e&ei=142

Watson had a lot more on his mind than just the football game, losing his father and a former teammate the week leading up to the season opener. The 28-year-old said he isn't using it as an excuse, but the deaths took an emotional toll on him.

"At the end of the day, football is definitely something that you got to take very, very seriously and it's our job, it's our career, but you know, there are other things that are bigger than this," Watson said, via SI.com. "I lost my dad Friday. I lost my brother, my teammate yesterday, Diondre Overton, only 26 years old. So, yeah, I mean, it's been a long week ... it wasn't even really about football."

Edited by Albany,n.y.

29 minutes ago, Albany,n.y. said:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/browns-deshaun-watson-says-loss-of-father-friend-took-emotional-toll-heading-into-week-1-game-vs-cowboys/ar-AA1qgYPj?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=HCTS&cvid=2be384ce24f3492c816944328065ff8e&ei=142

Watson had a lot more on his mind than just the football game, losing his father and a former teammate the week leading up to the season opener. The 28-year-old said he isn't using it as an excuse, but the deaths took an emotional toll on him.

"At the end of the day, football is definitely something that you got to take very, very seriously and it's our job, it's our career, but you know, there are other things that are bigger than this," Watson said, via SI.com. "I lost my dad Friday. I lost my brother, my teammate yesterday, Diondre Overton, only 26 years old. So, yeah, I mean, it's been a long week ... it wasn't even really about football."

Understandable honestly. That doesnt change just because he is a scumbag.  If he can't be mentally prepared to play though, thats the same as not being physically ready to play, so maybe he should just not played. I also just think that he isnt good anymore.

13 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Stop me if you've heard this before...

Once a scumbag always a scumbag.  Sure, some people can change their life.  Like maybe a thief can see the light and get a job and turn it around.  Usually something like sexual predator or seriel killer or woman/child abuser... those people dont usually change.  Its just something mental.

• Agree 1

20 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

Like maybe a thief can see the light and get a job and turn it around.  Usually something like sexual predator or seriel killer or woman/child abuser... those people dont usually change.  Its just something mental.

This is actually the exact opposite of the evidence. Recidivism is highest among those committing property crime (theft, criminal damage etc). That is consistent in the UK and the US. I don't know the US data on sexual offenders but in the UK they are the least likely to re-offend and by a fair margin too.

Edited by GunnerBill

3 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

This is actually the exact opposite of the evidence. Recidivism is highest among those committing property crime (theft, criminal damage etc).

I actually had to look that word up.  Thanks, learned something today.  I don't disagree with you.  Most people do not turn their lives around.  My point was that someone like that is more likely to turn it around than the other types I listed.  Maybe that isnt factually correct either, I do not know honestly, but in my experience.. an abuser or sexual predator or seriel killer never turns their lives around. Where as a thief or drug user I have first hand seen them turn themselves around. 

Edited by Scott7975

55 minutes ago, Albany,n.y. said:

Screw him. He’s a rapist and a sexual predator. 

Favre is a scumbag liar and a thief. 

I’ll never feel bad for either of them for anything.

***** ‘em. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

I actually had to look that word up.  Thanks, learned something today.  I don't disagree with you.  Most people do not turn their lives around.  My point was that someone like that is more likely to turn it around than the other types I listed.  Maybe that isnt factually correct either, I do not know honestly, but in my experience.. an abuser or sexual predator or seriel killer never turns their lives around. Where as a thief or drug user I have first hand seen them turn themselves around. 

Haha most likely to reoffend are literally:

1. Property crime

2. Drug offenders

Seriel killers are not captured separately in the data. For two reasons: 1. Sample size; 2. Very few (if any) are ever released so never get the chance to reoffend. 

Violence against the person (so domestic abusers etc) are about middle of the pack. And sexual offenders are the least likely to reoffend after a prior conviction. Again I don't have the US data but in the UK its about 13% of sexual offenders go on to reoffend. Whereas it is almost 60% of those convicted of theft. 

I could talk all day about why that is but fundamentally theft is a crime that isn't about the behaviour itself it is about the drivers of the behaviour. And no amount of punishment ever changes those underlying drivers (usually poverty or addiction). Whereas sexual offenders are largely motivated by the behaviour and so you can create a link more directly between the behaviour and the punishment. 

6 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Haha most likely to reoffend are literally:

1. Property crime

2. Drug offenders

Seriel killers are not captured separately in the data. For two reasons: 1. Sample size; 2. Very few (if any) are ever released so never get the chance to reoffend. 

Violence against the person (so domestic abusers etc) are about middle of the pack. And sexual offenders are the least likely to reoffend after a prior conviction. Again I don't have the US data but in the UK its about 13% of sexual offenders go on to reoffend. Whereas it is almost 60% of those convicted of theft. 

I could talk all day about why that is but fundamentally theft is a crime that isn't about the behaviour itself it is about the drivers of the behaviour. And no amount of punishment ever changes those underlying drivers (usually poverty or addiction). Whereas sexual offenders are largely motivated by the behaviour and so you can create a link more directly between the behaviour and the punishment. 

Ok fine. Im not going to argue this. In my experience that is not the case. I have first hand experience in all but the serial killer thing as I grew up with an abusive af stepfather. Please lets just end this.

Just now, Scott7975 said:

Ok fine. Im not going to argue this. In my experience that is not the case. I have first hand experience in all but the serial killer thing as I grew up with an abusive af stepfather. Please lets just end this.

Which is why evidence matters. Because no two people have the same personal experience which colours perceptions. 

4 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Which is why evidence matters. Because no two people have the same personal experience which colours perceptions. 

Yeah I already stated two posts ago that what I said may not be factual but in my experience.  What you did was laugh at me without maybe thinking how those experiences that I have had might be a touchy subject?  Can we please just end the conversation. You can win the forum argument if that makes you feel all better.

1 hour ago, Scott7975 said:

Lamar Jackson missed practice today.  This dude misses a lot of practices for unknown reasons.  In the past they said he was sick.  Now they just didnt say.

In order to get into the facility, you have to hit the “Open” button. He has trouble hitting anything that is open.

• Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

Yeah I already stated two posts ago that what I said may not be factual but in my experience.  What you did was laugh at me without maybe thinking how those experiences that I have had might be a touchy subject?  Can we please just end the conversation. You can win the forum argument if that makes you feel all better.

I did not laugh at you. I laughed at the contradiction. I certainly did not mean to belittle any experience. If you took it that way I apologise. Nor was I trying to win an argument. But this is something that I am professionally and personally invested in and it is important that the debate on offending happens in possession of the facts and not based on emotional reactions. That is all I was doing. I genuinely did not mean to cause any offence. 

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

Believe me, the pool of people who are compassionate is shrinking and shrinking, and here you won't find much of it unfortunately.

• Like (+1) 1