Tyreek Hill apparently arrested this morning…

stevestojan

Just now, 4merper4mer said:

You are also not entitled to leave your tinted window rolled up.

I'm not going to pretend to know FL state law on it, but I'd expect officers to act with tact and professionalism when that happens. Not emotional outbursts and anger.

Just now, Bruffalo said:

I'm not going to pretend to know FL state law on it, but I'd expect officers to act with tact and professionalism when that happens. Not emotional outbursts and anger.

Yeah tact and professionalism doesn't stop a cop from being shot.

Sorry, but if you're non-compliant it's going to raise concerns.  Cops aren't there to negotiate, coddle a law breaking citizen.  

They act within their rights.  Hill does what he wants.

Have you gone through police academy in any state? Or know others that have and asked their thoughts on this?

• Eyeroll 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, MasterStrategist said:

It's not wielding power over others.

This is a soapbox speech coming from personal situation/strong feeling, I applaud your enthusiasm.  

However, Hill did not comply and could've very easily been concealing a weapon behind blacked out windows.  Hills attitude along with non-compliance, is what escalated the situation.  

This is not a traffic cop wielding power.  It's a non-compliant, law breaking citizen who thinks they can do and say whatever they'd like.  Everyone moves on with their day in 15 minutes if Hill doesn't try to control the situation

We aren't going to agree, that's okay. There's no need to be condescending.

Just now, Bruffalo said:

Do you think any cops have ever been shot by a guy who pulled out his gun while his tinted window was rolled up?  But at least they were tactful while they died?  Shirley.

I do agree that once the window stayed open the cop had an opportunity yo calm things down.  Maybe Hill would have started to do the very simple things being requested….you know like leaving his window down, and handing over license/registration.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, HereComesTheReignAgain said:

He rolled up a darkly tinted window. The officer was understandably concerned about that. No way to see if he was grabbing a weapon. Extremely stupid move by Hill.  He deserved to be dragged out of the car and arrested. 

If you believe it's ok to drag someone out of the car for rolling his window up after he provided his driver's license, you're a problem just like these cops. This is 100% excessive force.

There is no law that states you must keep your window down during a traffic stop. You just have to provide DL, registration, and proof of insurance. 

• Agree 3

9 minutes ago, MasterStrategist said:

It's not wielding power over others.

This is a soapbox speech coming from personal situation/strong feeling, I applaud your enthusiasm.  

However, Hill did not comply and could've very easily been concealing a weapon behind blacked out windows.  Hills attitude along with non-compliance, is what escalated the situation.  

This is not a traffic cop wielding power.  It's a non-compliant, law breaking citizen who thinks they can do and say whatever they'd like.  Everyone moves on with their day in 15 minutes if Hill doesn't try to control the situation

Did the cops search the car for a weapon after pulling him out? Nope.

They weren't worried about NFL superstar having a gun.  

• Disagree 1

10 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

What do you want them do? Dickerson around while holding up traffic all morning on a game day so they can negotiate w/Tyreek? What is he a 3 year old? Art of the deal?

Simple. They run their criminal checks and see if there are warrants. If none, the cop write him traffic violations and notice to appear and he goes on his way. 

1 minute ago, 4merper4mer said:

Do you think any cops have ever been shot by a guy who pulled out his gun while his tinted window was rolled up?  But at least they were tactful while they died?  Shirley.

I do agree that once the window stayed open the cop had an opportunity yo calm things down.  Maybe Hill would have started to do the very simple things being requested….you know like leaving his window down, and handing over license/registration.

If you're on a hair trigger because you believe that every act of defiance is a threat against your life then you shouldn't be a police officer, because that mindset just leads to abuse.

• Eyeroll 2
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

3 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

I beg to differ. That was no detainment in a reasonable person's mind. A cop drags you out of the car, pins you on the ground, and handcuffs you. You saying you think that's a detainment? A reasonable person would think that? No way. Listen to Hills words and Campbell's words. Both thought it was an arrest. You would have too. Stop lying or changing the scenario because Hill's a POS. We all know he's trash. Two wrongs don't make a right. I can't defend Hills actions nor the police. However, the police are the trained experts here. They are the ones held to a higher standard. That's the way we are trained. No way can I defend their actions especially when they self incriminated themselves on tape. Listen to what the police officers tell Hill. Basically they told him he should have listened to them and he's not in charge. It had nothing to do with a criminal violation. 

A reasonable person knows the meanings of words.  Hill may have perceived that he was being arrested.  He soon found out that he was not arrested.  He might also perceive that he is actually a cheetah, but he isn’t.  In the end, it makes no difference.  Reality is reality and mistaken perceptions are just that.

You, on the other hand, keep arguing he was arrested.  He was not.  I’m not sure why you’re trying to redefine words.

• Vomit 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Bruffalo said:

If you're on a hair trigger because you believe that every act of defiance is a threat against your life then you shouldn't be a police officer, because that mindset just leads to abuse.

Sort of. But let's just talk reasonable for a long time and hold up traffic.

3 hours ago, K D said:

The cop will likely get disciplined, he was a bit excessive sure, but Hill was not innocent either. Keeping your window down and hands in sight is for the cop's safety. They don't know what you are doing in there. Possibly getting a weapon or getting ready to drive away. It would be a good opportunity to use this to show how both sides should have acted so people learn rather than both sides pointing fingers and causing more of a rift 

And then Hill comes out with this statement after the game...

"It's hard," Hill said. "I don't want to bring race into it, but sometimes it gets kind of iffy when you do. What if I wasn't Tyreek Hill? Lord knows what those guys would have done. I just wanted to make sure I was doing what my uncle always told me to do whenever you're in a situation like that — put your hands on the steering wheel and just listen."

5 minutes ago, klos63 said:

If they did would you be on here complaining about an illegal search?  Yup.  But they didn’t search so now you’re on complaining about the lack of a search.  

• Agree 2

8 minutes ago, klos63 said:

You do know that's illegal?  But now you're OK with an illegal search just to prove your point.

You're on a clear mission here.  It's called act civilized in the situation and follow law.  Simple as that.

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Just Jack said:

And then Hill comes out with this statement after the game...

"It's hard," Hill said. "I don't want to bring race into it, but sometimes it gets kind of iffy when you do. What if I wasn't Tyreek Hill? Lord knows what those guys would have done. I just wanted to make sure I was doing what my uncle always told me to do whenever you're in a situation like that — put your hands on the steering wheel and just listen."

Hill’s mistake was buying that racist car that went over 100MPH right in front of 26 traffic cops.  The car set him up.

• Haha (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, klos63 said:

If Hill deserved to be handcuffed,  why did they let him go.  Why not take him to jail? 

27 minutes ago, klos63 said:

If he committed a criminal offense, why wasn't he arrested immediately and why was he let go?

Someone higher up on the force had Hill on his Fantasy Football Team.