Tyreek Hill apparently arrested this morning…

stevestojan

15 minutes ago, MarkKelso'sHelmet said:

I essentially agree with this. If I were the cop… I’d say something like… “ Hey man I’m a big fan but I’m gonna have to cite you. You can’t drive so recklessly with pedestrians around.”

And if he’s a dick back to me… oh well. That’s the reality of the world.

Power trip cop meets entitled superstar.

Both are to blame in human terms.

Legally speaking? I’m too bored to look closely at the nuances of the law.

Are you and @bruffalo serious?  

If you watched the video, Hill was immediately disrespectful to the officer.  The officer was patient and didn't explode immediately.  Hill then followed up by not complying with a normal/simple request of keeping his window down (when it's backed out, police need line of sight).

Hills situation was his own doing: speeding, disrespectful, not following simple instructions. 

We've seen Hills entitled behavior before.  But regardless of a white, black, Asian, etc man- you simply comply with police.  Period.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Simon said:

I am guessing that the command to roll down his tinted window so that he was visible to the officer was not illegal.

Both parties were asshats, imo.

But we should expect more from cops. 

4 minutes ago, MasterStrategist said:

If you watched the video, Hill was immediately disrespectful to the officer.  The officer was patient and didn't explode immediately.  Hill then followed up by not complying with a normal/simple request of keeping his window down (when it's backed out, police need line of sight).

Hills situation was his own doing: speeding, disrespectful, not following simple instructions. 

We've seen Hills entitled behavior before.  But regardless of a white, black, Asian, etc man- you simply comply with police.  Period.

You don't have to do everything a cop tells you to do.  You have rights. 

Cops need to get off their power trips.

It's not against the law to be disrespectful. 

If Hill deserved to be handcuffed,  why did they let him go.  Why not take him to jail? Because the cops knew they were wrong. 

1 minute ago, TFBillsfan said:

Agree and we all should expect more from our citizens as a society!

All Hill did that was against the law was speed. 

It's not the same thing.  

3 minutes ago, GolfandBills said:

Hill should be in jail anyway so I couldn’t care less how he was treated.  He deserves what he gets 

What are you,  a cop?

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, newcam2012 said:

They violated Hill's civil rights. They didn't do their jobs according to the oath they took. 

It's exactly what happened. 

All Hill is required by law is to give his license and registration. He doesn't have to talk, answer questions, or be nice and polite. Hill is a dbag but he did nothing legally wrong. The cops violated his civil rights by pulling him out of the car/handcuffing him which was an illegal arrest. It's really that simple. 

It’s almost laughable how vastly different opinions are in these situations. 

I’m not sure this jail house lawyer version of “how it is”  is helpful at all. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, klos63 said:

You don't have to do everything a cop tells you to do.  You have rights. 

Cops need to get off their power trips.

It's not against the law to be disrespectful. 

If Hill deserved to be handcuffed,  why did they let him go.  Why not take him to jail? Because the cops knew they were wrong. 

Disagree.  Yeah you have rights, but the request wasn't to strip naked in the streets or immediately exit vehicle and get on the ground.

I have plenty of law enforcement family at all levels, and this was a typical pull over.  Hill escalated the situation period.  Police have rights too.  Well within their rights how it was handled.

Ever think there are political factors behind the scenes (re: why he was released)?  Star WR for local team going to be held on a simple traffic stop....yeah that goes over great with voters.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

You are absolutely correct with regards to the case law.

In this case I don't believe the police officers met their burden of proof to justify their actions. There's no implication or evidence to suggest the officer couldn't see in the vehicle. There was no indication of threats to officers safety. In fact, evidence suggest the police removed Hill from his vehicle because he simply didn't comply. Listen to what the police officer told Hill as he was being dragged out of the car and cuffed. He clearly stated they are the ones in control and he should have listened. That's a slam dunk for the defense.

This was a clear case of police abusing their authority and getting upset at an individual who was verbally challenging their authority. I absolutely think this was a civil rights violation. IMHO, Case law here doesn't support the officers' actions.

By the way great post. 

Let's make one thing perfectly clear:

Even if the officers were unjustified (not even debating whether they were or not), will they see any consequences such as loss of pay, suspension, termination and blacklisting or criminal or civil charges,

for their actions?

Would their conduct invalidate any arrest or legal proceedings or anyone else they detained?

If the answer is "no", then who really cares what case law says or not, the cops will just keep doing it.

I'll stop before I go onto a full PPP soapbox, but that's the kind of argument against qualified immunity. Because we can debate the question of justification but most judges will throw out a suit before it even gets that far.

P.S. I think Hill is a scumbag and I do not cry for him. I would love it if he's on an exempt list Thursday. But even scumbags have rights.

• Thank you (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

It was an arrest by all legal standards. Any reasonable person would conclude they were under arrest under those circumstances. Hill absolutely thought that because he was screaming that in the ground. You don't know the law. 

Agree 100%

He was not arrested he was detained.  Because you don’t understand or care to understand the distinction does not change the fact.  Hill is an idiot.  An idiot thinking something does not make that thing true.

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Anyone post the cop body cam footage yet?

He rolls window ALL the way down, then rolls a blacked out window ALL the way up and promptly ignores the cops? I guess he was calling Drew and couldn't be bothered. What were the cops to think? Reaching for a gun,  hiding a gun.

I am NOT heavy handed policing, but this is everything NOT to do when getting stopped? Unless you want road rash on your face!

/smdh

Sorry if this has been posted already.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, K D said:

The cop will likely get disciplined, he was a bit excessive sure, but Hill was not innocent either. Keeping your window down and hands in sight is for the cop's safety. They don't know what you are doing in there. Possibly getting a weapon or getting ready to drive away. It would be a good opportunity to use this to show how both sides should have acted so people learn rather than both sides pointing fingers and causing more of a rift 

I'm no Tyreek fan, but it is not illegal to not keep your window down. He had it down, the cop was going to walk away, he rolled it back up. The cop then wanted it back down and was pissed that Tyreek only cracked it. 

The cop 100% power tripped and over reacted, including when he came over and grabbed him around the neck and threw him down.

Edited by Herc11
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, MphsBillsfan said:

How hard is it to comply?  If he had an issue with the officer deal with it later.  

Crying for his agent shows entitled he thinks he is.

He pulled over,  handed over license and registration.  He complied.

Why can't cops deal with simple *****.

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, MasterStrategist said:

You aren't entitled to respect as an officer. Sorry, but that's the truth.

It's not how I would handle myself in that situation, but that's not really important.

Individuals who wield power over others inherently need to be held to a higher standard.  If we can't trust our law enforcement to act professionally and without emotion, then you might as well expect individuals to react like Tyreek, because the social contract has eroded.

Instead of using deescalation, he clearly was offended by the behavior and allowed his emotions to get the better of him. I'm not going to pretend that it isn't understandable, but just because I can empathize with the officer's frustration doesn't make it acceptable. He has to act better than the person he's giving a citation to, because he's a professional and has access to all the tools and training that certainly should enable him to act without a bruised ego.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 4

1 minute ago, MasterStrategist said:

Disagree.  Yeah you have rights, but the request wasn't to strip naked in the streets or immediately exit vehicle and get on the ground.

I have plenty of law enforcement family at all levels, and this was a typical pull over.  Hill escalated the situation period.  Police have rights too.  Well within their rights how it was handled.

Ever think there are political factors behind the scenes (re: why he was released)?  Star WR for local team going to be held on a simple traffic stop....yeah that goes over great with voters.

It’s possible he was released because he is rich and/or a football star, but…. The initial reason for the stop was speeding.  If he simply rolled down his window and left it down he would have never been detained at all.  Once the tempers settled down, he might have been released even if he wasn’t a football star.

Cops should not be subjected to being blinded to whatever is going on inside a car they just pulled over.  Requiring the window to be left down is in no way unreasonable.  

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, TFBillsfan said:

Thus far I’ve seen ZERO accountability from Hill. The guy was going 60mph over the limit. That’s how people get killed. His attitude was give me a ticket so I can be on my way. He literally was trying to leverage his NFL status.

According to FL law: Reckless driving in Florida is not just a minor traffic infraction; it’s a criminal offense that can result in significant penalties. 

At the end of the day, this will become highly political but I’m not sure the cops crossed the line. I think anyone that did what he did would have resulted in the same outcome. I’m sure others may disagree though. 

If he committed a criminal offense, why wasn't he arrested immediately and why was he let go?

yeah, after watching that bodycam footage both parties were in the wrong.  Tyreek is beyond moronic for rolling up his (tinted) window, but the cops did seem to use excessive force even after it was pretty clear he wasn’t a threat (although you could make the argument they thought he had a weapon in his pocket).

Totally agree with @MarkKelso'sHelmet’s assessment of “two alpha males puffing out their chests”.

2 minutes ago, Bruffalo said:

It's not how I would handle myself in that situation, but that's not really important.

Individuals who wield power over others inherently need to be held to a higher standard.  If we can't trust our law enforcement to act professionally and without emotion, then you might as well expect individuals to react like Tyreek, because the social contract has eroded.

Instead of using deescalation, he clearly was offended by the behavior and allowed his emotions to get the better of him. I'm not going to pretend that it isn't understandable, but just because I can empathize with the officer's frustration doesn't make it acceptable. He has to act better than the person he's giving a citation to, because he's a professional and has access to all the tools and training that certainly should enable him to act without a bruised ego.

You are also not entitled to leave your tinted window rolled up.

Just now, Bruffalo said:

It's not wielding power over others.

This is a soapbox speech coming from personal situation/strong feeling, I applaud your enthusiasm.  

However, Hill did not comply and could've very easily been concealing a weapon behind blacked out windows.  Hills attitude along with non-compliance, is what escalated the situation.  

This is not a traffic cop wielding power.  It's a non-compliant, law breaking citizen who thinks they can do and say whatever they'd like.  Everyone moves on with their day in 15 minutes if Hill doesn't try to control the situation

• Disagree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, RiotAct said:

yeah, after watching that bodycam footage both parties were in the wrong.  Tyreek is beyond moronic for rolling up his (tinted) window, but the cops did seem to use excessive force even after it was pretty clear he wasn’t a threat (although you could make the argument they thought he had a weapon in his pocket).

Totally agree with @MarkKelso'sHelmet’s assessment of “two alpha males puffing out their chests”.

What do you want them do? Dickerson around while holding up traffic all morning on a game day so they can negotiate w/Tyreek? What is he a 3 year old? Art of the deal?

• Agree 1
  • Dislike 1