Tyreek Hill apparently arrested this morning…

stevestojan

No one in this situation saw the incentive or value to be the one to deescalate. If Tyreek had treated the officer with an ounce of respect nothing excessive would have happened.

In the end it’s two “alphas” puffing out their chests.

In any case, Tyreek is neither a hero nor a victim. Being a dick to officers is a horrible strategy in any case …

Edited by MarkKelso'sHelmet
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

Incorrect. There was no violation where cuffs should have been applied. The proper police action was for the officer to run all his checks and give Hill a ticket for speeding. He had no legal right to make Hill to roll down his window, drag him out of the car,and handcuff him. Huge illegal actions by the police. 

It wasn't justified at all. Once Hill was handcuffed a reasonable person would think he or she is under arrest. Thus, the application of handcuffs effected an arrest. An illegal arrest which Hill definitely has a winning civil lawsuit if he chooses to go down that path. Slam dunk. The officers involved will be disciplined maybe even fired. 

Get your JD from YouTube?

2 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

Case law has shown that a driver does not have to roll down his window under most conditions. All states have tint window laws so police can see into a vehicle. Some cases where the exception follows is if they police smelled, saw, suspected drugs and or weapons in the vehicle. There's no evidence  this is the case. 

But what if is windows was illegally tinted so they could not see inside? In that case do they have the right to demand he keep it rolled down?  As others have said, it can be a safety issue for the officer, if the window is tinted too much he can't see if anyone inside the car is reaching for a weapon.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

6 minutes ago, MarkKelso'sHelmet said:

No one in this situation saw the incentive or value to be the one to deescalate. If Tyreek had treated the officer with an ounce of respect nothing excessive would have happened.

In the end it’s two “alphas” puffing out their chests.

In any case, Tyreek is neither a hero nor a victim. Being a dick to officers is a horrible strategy in any case …

Last I knew , being a dick wasn't against the law

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Thus far I’ve seen ZERO accountability from Hill. The guy was going 60mph over the limit. That’s how people get killed. His attitude was give me a ticket so I can be on my way. He literally was trying to leverage his NFL status.

According to FL law: Reckless driving in Florida is not just a minor traffic infraction; it’s a criminal offense that can result in significant penalties. 

At the end of the day, this will become highly political but I’m not sure the cops crossed the line. I think anyone that did what he did would have resulted in the same outcome. I’m sure others may disagree though. 

Just now, newcam2012 said:

Disagree. You are making all kinds of unfounded allegations. I doubt the tinted window was not in compliance with vehicle laws. There is no mention of the windows being illegal. Hill complied by giving his license and registration. State what law requires him to roll down his window? There's no indication that Hill had a weapon or was a threat to the police. Zero evidence. In fact, the police officers made it very clear that he didn't listen to them. That they are the ones in control. That he should have listened. Cite the violation of law here. The only violation of law here is the police officers actions. 

A lot of states haw laws prohibiting front window tint for precicely that reason as officers cant see if vehicle occupants are holding a weapon.   Thankfully most officers arent that strict on enforcing them.  But if you have blacked out windows and get pulled over, dont be a d*ck and keep your window rolled and not expect some reaction from officers.   

44 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

They violated Hill's civil rights. They didn't do their jobs according to the oath they took. 

It's exactly what happened. 

All Hill is required by law is to give his license and registration. He doesn't have to talk, answer questions, or be nice and polite. Hill is a dbag but he did nothing legally wrong. The cops violated his civil rights by pulling him out of the car/handcuffing him which was an illegal arrest. It's really that simple. 

It wasn’t an arrest but by all means keep blathering.

• Disagree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, johndhall1 said:

Last I knew , being a dick wasn't against the law

I agree.

But it’s not smart nor strategic when dealing with law enforcement during a traffic stop.  

I know from experience. When I was younger I was a dick to an officer for an open container violation.

It caused me a massive headache and I learned my lesson. 

But you’re right. It’s our protected god-given constitutional right to be a massive dick whenever we want.

Perhaps not a good life strategy though. Especially when dealing with judges and cops etc.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, johndhall1 said:

Hill is an asshat but that cop definitely escalated that situation needlessly.

The onus is on the cop to deescalate. If we don't hold police to a higher standard then we've failed as a society.

I think Tyreek is a jackass and I don't think he was respectful here but that cop clearly can't handle the pressure of the job.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Disagree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

Disagree. You are making all kinds of unfounded allegations. I doubt the tinted window was not in compliance with vehicle laws. There is no mention of the windows being illegal. Hill complied by giving his license and registration. State what law requires him to roll down his window? There's no indication that Hill had a weapon or was a threat to the police. Zero evidence. In fact, the police officers made it very clear that he didn't listen to them. That they are the ones in control. That he should have listened. Cite the violation of law here. The only violation of law here is the police officers actions. 

For all of those saying Hill's civil rights were violated....I don't think that is true, at least according to a couple previous Supreme court rulings.

There may be a gray area in the law, the law may not clearly define this exact situation, but that is why we have court rulings, and in this case the Supreme court that ruled the officers CAN remove him from his vehicle.

Having deeply tinted windows that the officer can't see through, its a grey area but yes, the police have the right to do what they did....

Two Supreme Court decisions allow police officers to remove drivers and passengers from a car during a traffic stop.

Now, there are ways the police officer can escalate the above response to their request to roll down your window. If an officer feels threatened or that the traffic stop can be handled more effectively, they can order the driver and any passengers out of the vehicle. The U.S. Supreme Court decision for Pennsylvania v. Mimms (1977) says officers can remove the driver from a vehicle during a traffic stop. The court’s decision in Maryland v. Wilson (1997) concluded that passengers can also be pulled from a car during a traffic stop. Both of these “intrusions” are thought of as “matters of course” and are not considered violations of the Fourth Amendment.

As such, let’s say you only crack your window 1/4 of the way down and refuse to roll it down any further. The officer might just continue the traffic stop without further comment on the window. Alternatively, they might find this suspicious or discomforting to their safety. Regardless of the officer’s sentiment, they can’t search your vehicle without probable cause. However, they can order you out of the vehicle to continue and complete the traffic stop.

You can find this ruling various spots on the internet, but here is just one easy one to find: https://www.motorbiscuit.com/how-far-roll-down-window-traffic-stop/

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Bruffalo said:

The onus is on the cop to deescalate. If we don't hold police to a higher standard then we've failed as a society.

I think Tyreek is a jackass and I don't think he was respectful here but that cop clearly can't handle the pressure of the job.

I essentially agree with this. If I were the cop… I’d say something like… “ Hey man I’m a big fan but I’m gonna have to cite you. You can’t drive so recklessly with pedestrians around.”

And if he’s a dick back to me… oh well. That’s the reality of the world.

Power trip cop meets entitled superstar.

Both are to blame in human terms.

Legally speaking? I’m too bored to look closely at the nuances of the law.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Eyeroll 1

29 minutes ago, TFBillsfan said:

Thus far I’ve seen ZERO accountability from Hill. The guy was going 60mph over the limit. That’s how people get killed. His attitude was give me a ticket so I can be on my way. He literally was trying to leverage his NFL status.

According to FL law: Reckless driving in Florida is not just a minor traffic infraction; it’s a criminal offense that can result in significant penalties. 

At the end of the day, this will become highly political but I’m not sure the cops crossed the line. I think anyone that did what he did would have resulted in the same outcome. I’m sure others may disagree though. 

Going 60 mph over the posted speed limit is cause for immediate arrest in some states. Dunno about Florida though.

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Buff the Cat said:

Going 60 mph over the posted speed limit is cause for immediate arrest in some states. Dunno about Florida though.

Sorry about the multiple quotes. I thought my internet was glitching and I didn't realize that it responded

already.

It's an occasional board issue; I'll clean it up

Saw the police cam…Hill’s an a-hole and deserves what he got…

Telling the cop not to knock on his window, and then rolling it up while he was talking to Hill, screams FU, and is very disrespectful…Even I know better not to do that…What an idiot…

Learn to act civilized and maybe you won’t be put on the ground…👍

Edited by JaCrispy
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 4

6 minutes ago, johndhall1 said:

If he was really going 60 over the limit,  why wasn't he issued a ticket for it. Reports are he got one for reckless driving and one for no seat belt.

He may have been going 60, but there was no way he was doing 100 in that video.

They probably didn't have a radar gun on him so just went with reckless as it was clear he was speeding but didn't have a specific number.