Tyreek Hill apparently arrested this morning…

stevestojan

1 hour ago, newcam2012 said:

I mostly agree with this. However, what I think you might be overlooking of the cops attitude and verbal interactions with Hill.

If I may digress. For the most part, believe officers take charge, act assertively and or aggressively, give orders and commands,communicate in very stern tone of voice, and are dominant in nature. Most often it serves a purpose and promotes officer safety. 

IMHO, the opposite of the above is under taught and under trained. To be humble, to listen,  to acknowledge a person's feelings, etc...  Often one sees this as a sign of weakness. Nothing is further from the truth. As one of my training officers once taught me. There is always more than one way to skin a cat. That saying always resonates in my mind. 

Fast forward to the Hill incident. The officer approaches Hill and hits his window. Was it too hard or too many times? Who knows and who cares. What is important is the perception of the suspect who happens to be Hill. What if the officer said, I'm sorry sir that wasn't my intention. I can understand how you feel that way. It won't happen again? I hear you that you are running late. I'll be as quick as I can.Sounds weak and corny but think about how that may have played out. Instead, the cop gets into verbal judo with Hill. Point being the officer missed the opportunity to fe escalate things immediately. Whether it would have been effective who knows. 

Then Hill rolled up the window after the officer received his license and registration. At that point couldn't the officer just proceed to his patrol car? I say yes yes and more yes. Instead, he choose to engage in a pissng contest over the window. Legally, the officer is correct. However, from a deescalating and avoid more problems he wasn't . What transpired wasn't worth it. 

In short, the officers upped the tension, engaged in improper and unnecessary banter which led to an unavoidable use of force situation. 

Does that lessen what Hill did? No. Did Hill contribute to what happened? Yes yes and more yes. 

Hope that helps give another perspective to others. 

Good post as well, and I also mostly agree with this and appreciate the perspective.  But, the only thing I would add is that I did not personally feel the cop was really out of line with how he approached the car or knocked on the window.  I don't really know how the officer could have done anything different in that regard, he walked up to a car with dark tinted windows and driver had yet to roll his window down.  What other recourse does an officer have other than to knock on his window.

Then Hill rolls it down partially and just starts mouthing off not to knock on his window.  And if Hill doesn't want him to knock on his window, he should have already rolled his window down after being pulled over and seeing the officer approach.  

I am all about deescalation, so I don't disagree with you in them needing to be trained in how to be better about that, its a serious issue in our police force in general.  

At the same time, cops need to make split decisions out there where the wrong one can mean they may not go home to see their families.  And I think there does need to be more respect for that from people when dealing with officers.  So it is hard for me to have sympathy for a entitled rich boy acting a fool, not complying and putting himself into a position to where he is making an officer have to make a decision to keep letting this go and risk the safety of themselves and fellow officers or having to escalate the situation to take back control of the that situation to insure their safety.

So for me, while I do agree there were maybe less escalated options the officer could have taken, I also can not really fault him for the decision he did make given the position Hill put him either.  Now if he had roughed Hill up or something, sure year that would be a real issue.  But forcing Hill to comply when he refused, that for me is on Hill more than anything.  The officer gave Hill plenty of time and multiple chances to avoid the escalation, Hill instead chose to remain defiant.  

8 minutes ago, WotAGuy said:

@Alphadawg7 would have given them an A+ 

(Sorry, Alpha, had to do it!)

Hahaha, don't apologize, that was funny 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

How about just act like a decent human being, don’t speed and endanger the public, if you are pulled over for endangering the public then comply with instructions, take your deserved ticket and be on your way without incident like the vast majority of us do everyday.

I knew exactly what I was going to see on the released body cam footage before I even watched it, an idiot needlessly escalating a police interaction instead of just taking his ticket.

Edited by julian
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 4

23 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Good post as well, and I also mostly agree with this and appreciate the perspective.  But, the only thing I would add is that I did not personally feel the cop was really out of line with how he approached the car or knocked on the window.  I don't really know how the officer could have done anything different in that regard, he walked up to a car with dark tinted windows and driver had yet to roll his window down.  What other recourse does an officer have other than to knock on his window.

Then Hill rolls it down partially and just starts mouthing off not to knock on his window.  And if Hill doesn't want him to knock on his window, he should have already rolled his window down after being pulled over and seeing the officer approach.  

I am all about deescalation, so I don't disagree with you in them needing to be trained in how to be better about that, its a serious issue in our police force in general.  

At the same time, cops need to make split decisions out there where the wrong one can mean they may not go home to see their families.  And I think there does need to be more respect for that from people when dealing with officers.  So it is hard for me to have sympathy for a entitled rich boy acting a fool, not complying and putting himself into a position to where he is making an officer have to make a decision to keep letting this go and risk the safety of themselves and fellow officers or having to escalate the situation to take back control of the that situation to insure their safety.

So for me, while I do agree there were maybe less escalated options the officer could have taken, I also can not really fault him for the decision he did make given the position Hill put him either.  Now if he had roughed Hill up or something, sure year that would be a real issue.  But forcing Hill to comply when he refused, that for me is on Hill more than anything.  The officer gave Hill plenty of time and multiple chances to avoid the escalation, Hill instead chose to remain defiant.  

Hahaha, don't apologize, that was funny 

Not much for me to quibble about. Nice response. 

9 minutes ago, julian said:

How about just act like a decent human being, don’t speed and endanger the public, if you are pulled over for endangering the public then comply with instructions, take your deserved ticket and be on your way without incident like the vast majority of us do everyday.

I knew exactly what I was going to see on the released body cam footage before I even watched it, an idiot needlessly escalating a police interaction instead just taking his ticket.

But you are thinking like a rational law abiding citizen. Thugs, criminals, pieces of poop, etc ...don't think like that. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 hours ago, cgang said:

Didnt like Hill refusing to lower his tinted window.  But after the unknown safety threat was rectified when they got him out of the car, didn’t like that they forced him down, in handcuffs, for a speeding violation, and then handcuffed his teammate. That seemed way over the top.  I don’t see how any of that was justified. 

I agree but strictly from a legal standpoint the officers acted within the parameters of law. With the exception of the police officer grabbing Hill by the neck and forcing him to sit down. That was excessive use of force since he was cuffed, posed no threat, was restrained by fellow officer, and appeared to be slowly starting to comply and sit down. The neck grab was excessive. 

The officers arrested Hill by forceably removing him from the vehicle and hand cuffing him. Folks, that's not a detainment. It meets all the criteria for an arrest. It's pretty much a slam dunk 

The police had the legal right to remove Hill. They gave him a lawful order and he did not comply. Thus, the use of force was necessary. The amount of force used to subdue and cuff Hill was justified and not excessive. He could have been easily charged with obstructing justice or something similar to that charge. 

When cooler heads prevailed the authorities reviewed the incident and chose not to charge Hill criminally. Lots of theories as to why that happened. Who knows? No way in hell would a district attorney pursue criminal charges on Hill. They would be laughed right out of their position. 

This incident was a complete ***** show by all parties involved. Poor police behavior, actions, and judgement even if it falls with the law. Both can be true. Poor behavior, actions, and judgement from Hill. 

In the end, law enforcement officers are always held to a higher standard. Every LEO knows this and it comes with the territory. Folks, what we saw wasn't a high standard. It was borderline embarrassing. It's bad policing when a police officer allows a suspect to get them angry and that anger leads too bad decisions. I believe that's what happened here. It's bad policing when the police officers escalate rather than deescalate the situation. I believe that's what happened here. Their behavior, actions, and lack of judgement are the exact kinds of behaviors that leads to serious injuries to suspects and police officers. Thankfully, no one was hurt. 

It's not a good look for the Miami PD. 

Edited by newcam2012

None of this happens if you simply treat the police officers with the respect that they are due. Taking the point of view that after I've acted like a complete arse, I should get my panties in a bunch that the officer acts somewhat aggressive towards me in return is just a rhetorical form of chicken and egg. These same principles apply to every social interaction that you have in life. Including those with friends, relatives, teachers, waitresses, sales clerks, customer service reps, etc.  Trust me when I say that I'm not coming at this with a Holier Than Thou frame of reference. I am actually terrible at it. My wife, on the other hand, is fantastic at it, and she always gives me 'the look' when she sees or hears me beginning to go off. 😂

Edited by SoCal Deek
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

None of this happens if you simply treat the police officers with the respect that they are due. Taking the point of view that after I've acted like a complete arse, I should get my panties in a bunch that the officer acts somewhat aggressive towards me in return is just a rhetorical form of chicken and egg. These same principles apply to every social interaction that you have in life. Including those with friends, relatives, teachers, waitresses, sales clerks, customer service reps, etc.  Trust me when I say that I'm not coming at this with a Holier Than Thou frame of reference. I am actually terrible at it. My wife, on the other hand, is fantastic at it, and she always gives me 'the look' when she sees or hears me beginning to go off. 😂

True, and to take it a step further...

None of this happens if one cares enough about others and their community to NOT drive 60+mph through neighborhoods.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

True, and to take it a step further...

None of this happens if one cares enough about others and their community to NOT drive 60+mph through neighborhoods.

Let's take it a step further.

No one goes hungry if you feed them.

No one is homeless if you give them shelter. 

See where I'm going with this? 

Edited by newcam2012

24 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

I’m guessing that’s illegal also. Somebody get ready to start the next thread. 

I hope Space Force pulls him out from behind his tinted face shield.

In vacuum. 

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, newcam2012 said:

Let's take it a step further.

No one goes hungry if you feed them.

No one is homeless if you give them shelter. 

See where I'm going with this? 

I have no idea what point you're trying to make.  Comparing apples to badgers here.

• Thank you (+1) 1