Tyreek Hill apparently arrested this morning…

stevestojan

Since several posters claim you do not need to lower your window, different states have different rules/laws...

Do drivers need to roll down their windows during a traffic stop? (yahoo.com)

In Fort Lauderdale, Florida, criminal defense law firm Meltzer & Bell says drivers are required to roll down their windows when they are pulled over in order to ensure smooth interaction with law enforcement.

2 hours ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

I did watch the video. He rolled the window back up. And then refused to keep it down. It was objectively reasonable for them to order him out of the car at that point given the window tint. We also don’t know if he was making any furtive movements in the car. That would also be more support for them to order him out of the car.

again, I don’t know what their thinking was on cuffing him. But ordering him out was reasonable. 

The point is this: the officers put themselves in a situation where they were justified in physically removing him from the vehicle. Of course so did Hill. 

I contend the officers were itching and looking for any reason to show Hill who's in charge, who is the boss. They felt disrespected and they wanted some blue justice. Why do I think that? 

The police had every opportunity to afford the whole situation. When have them the docs they could have simply walked back to the patrol car, complete their, and give citations. Who cares if his window was up or down? 

Instead, the police officers chose to stay next to the vehicle and engage Hill, demand that the window be down instead of going to their vehicle. They weren't having any kind of de-escalating here. They were aggressive and looking for a reason to act physically. They were going so that disrespectful black man a lesson. Listen and respect the cops or else. Listen to what they told him. It backs up this theory. 

It gets worse as Hill is cuffed and standing next to an officer. He's lagging to sit down and a second officer grabs Hill around the neck to assist him to sit down

Screams at him about surgery on his eyes. 

The whole incident is very poor policing from the start. The was a simple give the citation and go. Instead, they Miami police officers inappropriately engaged in an unnecessary pissing contest with the piece of crap Hill. Their emotions and muchismo get the best of them. They further escalated the situation which is a complete blunder by any police officer standards. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 4
  • Agree 1

Just now, Lieutenant Aldo Raine said:

At what point does this thread have anything to do with Buffalo Bills football?  Seems like a good "off the wall topic".

This is a NFL board - Buffalo Bills Community. Discussing the Buffalo Bills and the NFL 24 hours a day since 1998!

1 hour ago, oldmanfan said:

He was speeding apparently.  He got pulled over and from what I can tell did not obey lawful orders.  Why should he be treated differently than anyone else?

Hill's actions contributed to the whole situation. No way anyone can say otherwise. However, Hill's actions by police standards is not out of the ordinary. They deal with non compliant, rude, and disrespectful people daily. It's what they do. 

The equally disturbing or perhaps more so is the police behavior, attitude, and actions. Totally unacceptable and very poor policing. 

Folks, the two can be true. It doesn't have to be an either or here like many want to do. 

• Disagree 1
  • Dislike 1

I don't think there are any villains in this story, though both sides could have done better.

I think the cops did their job with an uncooperative motorist, though I do believe they escalated from knocking on the window to dragging him out of the car too quickly.

I get Tyreek wanted the keep the window closed to avoid being recognized by passers-by and creating a scene that ended up with photos in the media.  Nonetheless, he should have been more cooperative.  

• Disagree 2
  • Agree 1

The whole argument goes out the window when he was prob going so fast he should have went to jail for criminal charges speeding that fast.

Then has the audacity to act like an idiot.

This is a perfect example of a entitled prick, being a prick, and winning a prize.

At first I thought the police had maybe been a little too eager but after watching the video he is 100 percent at fault. And a liar, and a entitled prick.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Disagree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

I don't think there are any villains in this story, though both sides could have done better.

I think the cops did their job with an uncooperative motorist, though I do believe they escalated from knocking on the window to dragging him out of the car too quickly.

I get Tyreek wanted the keep the window closed to avoid being recognized by passers-by and creating a scene that ended up with photos in the media.  Nonetheless, he should have been more cooperative.  

Tyreek literally created the tense situation from the start. Why was his window rolled up when the cop was approaching his vehicle? Why did he start making aggressive demands to the cop as soon as he rolled down his window? Why did he refuse to listen to the cop's orders? If he was raised correctly, he wouldn't have done any of that, and he would have had a friendly interaction with the cops.. guaranteed. 

26 minutes ago, Prospector said:

Tyreek literally created the tense situation from the start. Why was his window rolled up when the cop was approaching his vehicle? Why did he start making aggressive demands to the cop as soon as he rolled down his window? Why did he refuse to listen to the cop's orders? If he was raised correctly, he wouldn't have done any of that, and he would have had a friendly interaction with the cops.. guaranteed. 

Agreed! None of those A-holes did what the officers requested. As Sharky mentioned previously, "entitled pricks." 

1 hour ago, Prospector said:

I agree.  But the cops escalated from first contact to throwing him on the ground and cuffing him in something like a minute.  All because he was speeding and then slow to respond to the policeman's instructions.  Tyreek was uncooperative, but he wasn't violent.  The police escalated too quickly.  

Both sides were imperfect.  

4 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

I agree.  But the cops escalated from first contact to throwing him on the ground and cuffing him in something like a minute.  All because he was speeding and then slow to respond to the policeman's instructions.  Tyreek was uncooperative, but he wasn't violent.  The police escalated too quickly.  

Both sides were imperfect.  

While I agree somewhat... this ALL could have been avoided if Tyreek actually respected law enforcement

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Lost said:

Ah yes, the coveted college degree.   Answer to all life's problems and the gateway to utopia.  

Actuarial data from The Association of Land Grant & Public Universities finds that those with a bachelors degree earn 86% more than those with a HS diploma. The Bureau of Labor Statistics finds that, on average, you earn 25 thousand more a year compared to a HS diploma. It should be coveted. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Mojo44 said:

Actuarial data from The Association of Land Grant & Public Universities finds that those with a bachelors degree earn 86% more than those with a HS diploma. The Bureau of Labor Statistics finds that, on average, you earn 25 thousand more a year compared to a HS diploma. It should be coveted. 

This is true, mostly because society is geared to make it that way. Whether those people are actually better at their jobs might be the real debate. Yes, I want my doctor or lawyer to have a degree, but “credential inflation” caused many careers to become college grad jobs when they never were. We really have no idea if that’s made the workforce more functional. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, Mojo44 said:

Also, in countries that require a 4 year degree in order to be a police officer, there are far lower rates of abuse and corruption.

The idea that a just out of high school person can take 6 months of training and then be thrown out onto the streets with a gun is a big reason we are where we are today.

• Like (+1) 3