Tyreek Hill apparently arrested this morning…

stevestojan

12 minutes ago, extrahammer said:

I worked on Tyreek's podcast last year, I directed the Marshawn Lynch and Michael Vick episodes which were his highest podcast episodic traffic numbers btw. After working with Tyreek, and knowing all the rumors and commentary on him, he earned my respect. Not once in those shots did he ever disrespect or demean anyone, he went above and beyond and out of his way for everyone, especially for the kids and older folks, making sure everyone was taken care of. He doesn't drink, he doesn't do drugs, he's very strict about his training and his diet. I'm not and it's just something I'll always remember. He's in the prime of his life, the biggest athlete in Miami since Lebron, and he loves women. I, a male, had an issue with payment for the podcast, I brought it up, and his team quickly worked to resolve it. No runaround with me. 

Aside from the gibberish about targeting, personal women stuff with officers, etc the number of factual inaccuracies in this rant is impressive.

#1- Hill was not pulled over for a seatbelt; he was pulled over for reckless and speeding. There is video showing him speeding.

#2- Hill was not arrested

#3- No officers have been suspended

#4- Campbell was not arrested

#5- Legally, Hill did not comply when he did not get out of the car when ordered

I'm not defending the cops; two of them should lose their badges, imo.

But defending Tyreek Hill who did everything he could to escalate and make a simple traffic stop as bad as it could be is a stunningly foolish take.

• Like (+1) 3

On 9/10/2024 at 3:19 PM, Simon said:

Aside from the gibberish about targeting, personal women stuff with officers, etc the number of factual inaccuracies in this rant is impressive.

#1- Hill was not pulled over for a seatbelt; he was pulled over for reckless and speeding. There is video showing him speeding.

#2- Hill was not arrested

#3- No officers have been suspended

#4- Campbell was not arrested

#5- Legally, Hill did not comply when he did not get out of the car when ordered

I'm not defending the cops; two of them should lose their badges, imo.

But defending Tyreek Hill who did everything he could to escalate and make a simple traffic stop as bad as it could be is a stunningly foolish take.

IMO arrested means in handcuffs. Being booked is a different thing folks try to rationalize, but when you're in handcuffs, bottom line is you're arrested. Campbell was placed in handcuffs so he was arrested IMO. Legally, Tyreek asked them for the citation reason 3 times and they defer to asking him about his seatbelt. Again he's a block from the stadium. I know I will get vilified for this but Tyreek knew his rights, asked the right questions, and complied legally. A lot of folks are going to differ bc of the fandom, but he was targeted IMO and it is very common with LEOs. He was pulled over for a seatbelt, it's all they acknowledge in the videos, he was arrested just not booked, as was Calais. An officer has already been placed on paid leave yesterday. Legally, Tyreek was within his rights to roll his window up after "complying" and handing over his license. Even legal expect YouTube influencers agree and say he will win any retroactive cases. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1

7 minutes ago, extrahammer said:

IMO arrested means in handcuffs. Being booked is a different thing folks try to rationalize, but when you're in handcuffs, bottom line is you're arrested. Campbell was placed in handcuffs so he was arrested IMO. Legally, Tyreek asked them for the citation reason 3 times and they defer to asking him about his seatbelt. Again he's a block from the stadium. I know I will get vilified for this but Tyreek knew his rights, asked the right questions, and complied legally. A lot of folks are going to differ bc of the fandom, but he was targeted IMO and it is very common with LEOs. He was pulled over for a seatbelt, it's all they acknowledge in the videos, he was arrested just not booked, as was Calais. An officer has already been placed on paid leave yesterday. Legally, Tyreek was within his rights to roll his window up after "complying" and handing over his license. 

Well, you're wrong, bro.  Handcuffs do not equal arrested.  It's not about rationalizing.  It's the just the facts.  

Edit: this is from personal experience on the receiving end of cuffs.

Edited by TheBrownBear
  • Like (+1) 3

7 minutes ago, extrahammer said:

IMO arrested means in handcuffs. Being booked is a different thing folks try to rationalize, but when you're in handcuffs, bottom line is you're arrested. Campbell was placed in handcuffs so he was arrested IMO. Legally, Tyreek asked them for the citation reason 3 times and they defer to asking him about his seatbelt. Again he's a block from the stadium. I know I will get vilified for this but Tyreek knew his rights, asked the right questions, and complied legally. A lot of folks are going to differ bc of the fandom, but he was targeted IMO and it is very common with LEOs. He was pulled over for a seatbelt, it's all they acknowledge in the videos, he was arrested just not booked, as was Calais. An officer has already been placed on paid leave yesterday. Legally, Tyreek was within his rights to roll his window up after "complying" and handing over his license. Even legal expect YouTube influencers agree and say he will win any retroactive cases. 

>Nobody was arrested

>He was not pulled over for a seatbelt

>He did not comply legally

>No officers were placed on leave

I do not care about YouTube influencers.

We have reached the point where you are simply spreading false information and that does not fly here.

Stop.

Now.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, DrDawkinstein said:

So in my lifetime I've had a few incidents that I could have (should have) been arrested over. There was even one that I could have been killed by police (10 cops, guns drawn), and they would have been justified in doing so. It would have been a tragic mistake, but they wouldnt have been legally wrong.

I not only survived all of them, but have never been arrested in any of them. The main reason being, my desire to stay out of jail is larger than my sense of entitlement/ego (unlike Hill).

So whenever I did have contact with the police in those situations, the first and only thing out of my mouth was "I'm sorry officer, I'm an idiot. I'm just stupid. I'm sorry. Sure, whatever you say. Yes, sir. Yep, I'm an idiot." And in doing so across ALL situations I was let go with just warnings.

It may have looked wimpy in the moment, but I at least got the last laugh like "I cant believe they let me go" as I'm pulling away a free man, and the officers were able to not fear for their lives and act accordingly.

It wasnt difficult to comply in those situations. Just roll your frickin window down. Prove your point another day.

Well you should consider yourself lucky for officers using their discretion. According to your account, the police could have arrested you several times and even justifiably killed you. Did I get that right? 

So let's dig deeper here and connect the above to the Hill incident. 

Police use discretion on a daily basis. They make choices to arrest or not to arrest. They make choices to use force; including deadly force. In short, police officers have broad powers and often choose not to use them even when justified.  They don't arrest everyone on every crime that is committed. Agree? They can be choose not to use use of force even when justified. Agree? You see where I'm going here?

Now let's take a look at the Hill incident. Hill gave the officer his license and registration. Why didn't the officer(s) depart Hill's vehicle and go to his patrol car. Run his checks and write the tickets? Hell, Hill wanted that. Is that unreasonable to think this should of or could of happened? Isn't that pretty much standard procedure? Why didn't it happen? I've stated my viewpoints previously; no need to go there. 

The officers chose to engage in a window fight instead. That's the choice they made! It didn't have to go that way. Even if they are correct legally they could have absolutely avoided what was to come. Agree? You think this is good policing? Sound judgements and use of discretion? Application of the law? What threat do you think the police perceived? Dragging him out of the car over a window that was partially open. Over a traffic violation. Really? Hand cuffing him, grabbing him by the neck. Telling him he should have listened, it's not about what he says but about what the police say, the police are not going to play games, and did he has surgery on his ears. What's the theme of the police officers message? Listen or you will be dealt with. Sound about right? Can you validate the police officers behavior and actions? Do you think it was solid legal police action, use of force, verbal communication, and use of discretion? 

Policing is much more than enforcing a penal code. It's much more than flexing your power and showing people your authority. It's much more than being aggressive and confrontational. It more than a badge and a gun. It's a myriad of things to consider. It's one of the most dangerous and dangerous jobs. Police should be respected much more than they are. Hill is an example of the garbage law enforcement officers deal with. However, the Miami police officers and their conduct and decisions gave all law enforcement officers a black eye. They failed us. 

Edited by newcam2012
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

Well you should consider yourself lucky for officers using their discretion. According to your account, the police could have arrested you several times and even justifiably killed you. Did I get that right? 

Sure let's dig deeper here and connect the above to the Hill incident. 

Police use discretion on a daily basis. They make choices to arrest or not to arrest. They make choices to use force; including deadly force. In short, police officers have broad powers and often choose not to use them even when justified.  They don't arrest everyone on every crime that is committed. Agree? They can be choose not to use use of force even when justified. Agree? You see where I'm going here?

Now let's take a look at the Hill incident. Hill gave the officer his license and registration. Why didn't the officer(s) depart Hill's vehicle and go to his patrol car. Run his checks and write the tickets? Hell, Hill wanted that. Is that unreasonable to think this should of or could of happened? Isn't that pretty much standard procedure? Why didn't it happen? I've stated my viewpoints previously; no need to go there. 

The officers chose to engage in a window fight instead. That's the choice they made! It didn't have to go that way. Even if they are correct legally they could have absolutely avoided what was to come. Agree? You think this is good policing? Sound judgements and use of discretion? Application of the law? What threat do you think the police perceived? Dragging him out of the car over a window that was partially open. Over a traffic violation. Really? Hand cuffing him, grabbing him by the neck. Telling him he should have listened, it not about what he say but about what the police say, the police are not going to play games, and did he has surgery on his ears. What's the theme of the police officers message? Listen or you will be dealt with. Sound about right? Can you validate the police officers behavior and actions? Do you think it was solid legal police action, use of force, verbal communication, and use of discretion? 

Policing is much more than enforcing a penal code. It's much more than flexing your power and showing people your authority. It's much more than being aggressive and confrontational. It more than a badge and a gun. It's a myriad of things to consider. It's one of the most dangerous and dangerous jobs. Police should be respected much more than they are. Hill is an example of the garbage law enforcement officers deal with. However, the Miami police officers and their conduct and decisions gave all law enforcement officers a black eye. 

Your post knocks it out of the park.  It takes a special kind of person to be a good/great cop. Unfortunately, there's just not enough of those personalities to go around, so we have to settle with a bunch of relatively decent folks who are not fit for the high stakes of policing in the long run.  What you often end up with is highly anxious armed dudes (essentially with PTSD) that are tasked with interacting with and protecting the public.  I always try to keep that in mind when stopped by or interacting with police in any situation. Just comply and do everything you can not to escalate a routine stop.

(Not going to get into the small amount of truly crooked or power tripping fascists that end up in the police force.  I acknowledge they exist and most of us or our loved ones have had run ins with these types at some point in our lives.)

• Thank you (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, extrahammer said:

Pretty much spot on here. Hill absolutely was arrested. There's no real debate from a legal perspective. The law is pretty clear here. That was no detainment. The police used there discretion and pretty chose not to person any charges. That in itself speaks volumes. Some went to use the football player status as a reason why he was let go. Maybe maybe not. I can say without a doubt, he wouldn't have been released if he was facing any serious crimes. The whole incident was a police debacle. How people try to justify the police officers incompetence is pretty alarming. 

The police do have the right to ask and make Hill exit the vehicle. Mimms clearly states this and I was flat out wrong earlier when I said otherwise. Unfortunately, this is "the out" many are using for the police officers. Legally, they are correct. Nevertheless, the police made upteen errors in judgement. They clearly escalated the incident. Again others will point out they legally don't have to deescalate. Another "out" for the police. This concept is absurd. Police are trained to deescalate. It's engrained into a police officers mindset from day one. 

You are correct that Hill broke no law when he rolled up his window. There's no penal that I know of that states otherwise. Some claim it was an officer safety issue. Another "out" for the officers. While generally true, I don't believe this was the case here. The serious of events leads me to believe the officers were just pissed and looking for any reason to go rogue. That's exactly why they didn't walk away from Hill's vehicle when they received the needed docs. It's exactly why the police officer argued about the window. If course that's my opinion. It's an opinion based on the totality of the circumstances. I find it hard to believe the officer wanted the window down for officer safety. In fact, when Hill slightly rolled down the vehicle the officers never drew there weapons or called out a weapon. It was clear they were pissed off because he wasn't listening. That's the bottomline. They sought to give out some police justice. That is clear as day. Don't listen to me. Listen to what they tell Hill. I mean a second officer choked Hill to the ground while he's cuffed and restrained by another officer. I suppose Hill was a threat there too. 

Hill could have acted differently and things would have been different. However, the police are trained to deal with all kinds of scenarios. Most of them are hostile, non complaint, aggressive, etc... No way in hell would this type of behavior be condoned in a training exercise. In fact, a person in the academy might very well go home for such action. 

35 minutes ago, TheBrownBear said:

Well, you're wrong, bro.  Handcuffs do not equal arrested.  It's not about rationalizing.  It's the just the facts.  

Edit: this is from personal experience on the receiving end of cuffs.

Handcuffs alone doesn't automatically equate to an arrest. However, you are really missing the boat on the Hill incident. You have to take in the totality of the circumstances. It was absolutely an arrest and Hill said it numerous times. It the reasonable person standard. Hill was reasonable to conclude he was being arrested. Yanked out of his car, aggressively placed on the ground with knee in his back, handcuffed, being told he should have listened, being told it's too late, being told it doesn't matter what he says, and being choked while cuffed. If that doesn't add up to an arrest then I'm fuc#ing lost.

2 hours ago, RobbRiddick said:

Dominque Foxworth said on TV today that if a cop stops a car driving in the direction of a stadium and the driver is black, muscular and covered in gold, he should know it's probably a football player. As though football players are exempt from being pulled over when driving and acting like a tool.

Sad thing is your gonna hear a lot of stupid ***** come out of the talking heads mouths over the next few days, doubt you’ll hear any say Tyreek should have been more compliant.  Doubt any will say the situation might not of escalated if he just rolled down his window. Dudes going to a play a football game but he is using surgery as an excuse for not sitting down. Makes sense. Tyreek is a total POS, he’ll milk this as much as he can. I’m shocked by the teams statement. No accountability for anything.

• Agree 2

2 minutes ago, Simon said:

There's dozens of people saying that right in this thread :doh:

I'd be surprised if anyone took Hill's side. I haven't seen anyone here defending his actions. It's been quite the opposite almost to a fault where the police are getting a pass. I totally get that because you treat poop like poop. 

The debate is more about the police actions, behavior, judgement, legal issues, laws, etc...That definitely fair okay and open to interpretation.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, BananaB said:

Sad thing is your gonna hear a lot of stupid ***** come out of the talking heads mouths over the next few days, doubt you’ll hear any say Tyreek should have been more compliant.  Doubt any will say the situation might not of escalated if he just rolled down his window. Dudes going to a play a football game but he is using surgery as an excuse for not sitting down. Makes sense. Tyreek is a total POS, he’ll milk this as much as he can. I’m shocked by the teams statement. No accountability for anything.

That's because the people with the badges and guns have total control over how things go for Hill in that situation, regardless of how he behaves.  A person interacting with police can be totally compliant and still get roughed up, or a lippy smart-ass and walk away unscathed.  The only thing that your behavior changes is potentially the likelihood of police abuse of power and the number of people who think you deserved it if the video of your interaction is released.

"Be respectful to police officers or they might find an excuse to ruin your day or physically harm you" is good practical advice, but is certainly interesting to hold as a positive value system.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

9 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

I'd be surprised if anyone took Hill's side. I haven't seen anyone here defending his actions. It's been quite the opposite almost to a fault where the police are getting a pass. I totally get that because you treat poop like poop. 

The debate is more about the police actions, behavior, judgement, legal issues, laws, etc...That definitely fair okay and open to interpretation.

Did you miss the statement by the Dolphins?!

• Thank you (+1) 1

Tyreek’s actions, including the speeding and reckless driving and his mouth were practically begging the policeman to drag him from the car and cuff him.  So dumb. The fact that Tyreek is being made out to be a victim is so bad.  and the number of people blindly supporting him including his coach and the Dolphins organization is kind of nauseating.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 2

2 minutes ago, zow2 said:

Tyreek’s actions, including the speeding and reckless driving and his mouth were practically begging the policeman to drag him from the car and cuff him.  So dumb. The fact that Tyreek is being made out to be a victim is so bad.  and the number of people blindly supporting him including his coach and the Dolphins organization is kind of nauseating.  

exactly.  Hill is acting like an entitled spoiled rich kid, as are Campbell and others. You don’t roll up onto an active police scene after you were told to leave.  It’s more dangerous for the officers and everyone involved.  Only spoiled morons who never dealt worth consequences would think otherwise.  

9 minutes ago, HereComesTheReignAgain said:

Did you miss the statement by the Dolphins?!

That's to be expected. They are going to protect their star player. Football takes priority over morality in the Dolphin organization. This incident isn't big enough for the Dolphins to jump off the Tyreke train. 

The other incidents seem far worse. You bet they are going to protect him.