Tyreek Hill apparently arrested this morning…

stevestojan

3 hours ago, mjd1001 said:

And others have said, it appears he rolled up the window because he wanted to call his agent right away and reached for his phone.

Suppose the cops could see a TINY bit though all that tint....its likely they couldn't see he was reaching for, or using a phone, but they COULD see he was reaching for something.

From Hill's point of view, hes 'too dumb' to think from anyone else's point of view other than his own.  He thinks 'all he did' was reach for his phone, but from the officers point of view, Officers have been shot when someone inside a car reaches for a gun that they can't see. It has happened.

I look at it as what would a reasonable person do in this situation and act accordingly,  he didn't.   

He's an entitled idiot who thinks he's above the law.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Just Jack said:

And then Hill comes out with this statement after the game...

"It's hard," Hill said. "I don't want to bring race into it, but sometimes it gets kind of iffy when you do. What if I wasn't Tyreek Hill? Lord knows what those guys would have done. I just wanted to make sure I was doing what my uncle always told me to do whenever you're in a situation like that — put your hands on the steering wheel and just listen."

That's nice. The cop can't see that when you have tinted windows. You can see in the video the only thing the cop can see is his own reflection. He overreacted though, that's why it's the first thing I posted in my reply. Both wrong. Could be a learning opportunity if they worked together to say why and didn't point fingers like this. What's he going to do? Sue and get the cop fired when Tyreek made over $1 million that DAY and the cop makes probably less than $100k per year dealing with people who want to kill him every day? Wow I guess he really showed him.

Or maybe be a standup guy for once and say this cop overreacted but I will take the high road and say I was also rude for yelling at him and was wrong for speeding 100mph but I'm going to work with the police department to make a video to show kids how to react when being pulled over so both sides can learn how to do the right thing. Be calm and respectful, communicate clearly, make sure the police can see you at all times, and everyone is happy and you aren't on the evening news.

Edited by K D
  • Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

You are interpreting Mimms incorrectly. There are perimeters in which a police officer can legally force a citizen to exit their vehicle. They are not legally permitted to yank anyone out their vehicle just because they say so. That's ridiculous.

If it’s a valid traffic stop. Yes you can be asked to step out of the vehicle, as it 

The Court held that the intrusion of asking a person to exit his or her car was “de minimis.” The Court also noted that the police officer is much safer from not only oncoming traffic but from any potential nefarious act of the driver or the passenger.     

The current state of search and seizure law allows a police officer to order a driver and the passengers out of vehicle that is stopped for even a minor traffic violation. However, the law does not require you to answer any questions or to consent to a search of your vehicle.

I said if one refuses to exit there vehicle on a valid traffic stop. They can be charged and arrested. And yes they can. 

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

43 minutes ago, Jtowntobuffalo said:

If the cop asks you to exit a vehicle you must do so. Period. Penn v Mimms. 

Hill doesn’t have to roll down window. But he must exit if commanded to do so. If not he can be arrested and removed forcefully. Period. 

cop may be fired for his tone, lack of patience, and attitude. But legally he was within his rights to do what he did. If Hill did in fact refuse to exit. 

Hill complied with the request and rolled the window down about 3-4 inches. The cop wasn't happy and decided to forcefully remove him. 

I'm no lawyer or cop, but Hill was complying. Sure he may of had an attitude, but that's not illegal. I'm sure a cop has to have reason to forcefully remove someone from a vehicle, such as not complying or providing the necessary documentation. They can't just go ripping people out of cars because you made them mad, which is clearly the case here.

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

I disagree. A police cannot forceable remove someone from their vehicle just because they can. Hill complied by giving his documentation. Heck he even rolled down the window seconds before he was forceable removed from his car. The officer stated "we ain't playing these games." Officer safety is an absolute valid reason to remove a suspect from a vehicle. There was nothing of the sort here. This was a power struggle from the get go. Hill requested the officer to give him a ticket cause he was running late. The officer chose to argue with Hill and abuse his authority instead. Likely an illegal arrest. What the video. 

Zero deescalation skills by the officers. I wouldn’t want someone behaving like that policing my community because he comes off as explosive lacking self control and patience. Now where we differ is if he could take such action not on if his department should discipline or fire him.  He can be asked out. If he refuses he can be charged. Doesn’t matter if all his windows are down and he’s naked and calm and compliant. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

I disagree. A police cannot forceable remove someone from their vehicle just because they can. Hill complied by giving his documentation. Heck he even rolled down the window seconds before he was forceable removed from his car. The officer stated "we ain't playing these games." Officer safety is an absolute valid reason to remove a suspect from a vehicle. There was nothing of the sort here. This was a power struggle from the get go. Hill requested the officer to give him a ticket cause he was running late. The officer chose to argue with Hill and abuse his authority instead. Likely an illegal arrest. What the video. 

I agree this was a pissing match between Hill and the officers.  One the officers will almost always win.

Some officers are badge heavy.  These appear to be this type.  Whether they acted within the "range of reasonableness" will be up to the courts and/the department, if it gets that far.  I believe officers like this damage the credibility of police everywhere, but they don't often lose in court.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 3

2 minutes ago, RangerDave said:

I agree this was a pissing match between Hill and the officers.  One the officers will almost always win.

Some officers are badge heavy.  These appear to be this type.  Whether they acted within the "range of reasonableness" will be up to the courts and/the department, if it gets that far.  I believe officers like this damage the credibility of police everywhere, but they don't often lose in court.

Definitely a bad look for the police department. 

• Disagree 1

28 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

I'm not sure you are correct here. The police have to have a legal reason to open up a passengers door and physically remove them. I'm not sure that threshold is met here. 

If Hill refuses to give his license and registration. The police have every legal right to remove Hill and arrest him. That didn't happen here. Hill complied and gave the officer his appropriate documentation. In fact, Hill told the officer (with his window rolled down) to give him a ticket cause he's fixen to be late. Then Hill rolled up his window. Then a pissing contest ensues. At no time, does the officer mention officer safety. There seems to be no issue with officer safety here. It's more about egis in play. Hill actually did roll down his window. Not all the way but he did roll it down. Could it be viewed as an effort to comply? I think so. Was it was rolled down enough for the officers to see in? 

Listen to the officers statements as they open the car door, yank, subdue, and cuff Hill. "We ain't playing this game." "When we tell you to do something you do it."  "It's not what you want it's what we tell you." Talk about abuse of authority and misconduct. They defense team is going to have a field day with this. 

Later, Hill is cuffed and by legal standards arrested. One police officer tells him to sit on the curb. Hill is lagging and not moving fast enough for the police. Is he a threat? No way no how. What happens now. A second police officer grabs Hill around the neck and assist him in sitting down. While doing so he says something about Hills ear and window. I couldn't make it out. It shows the officer is still pissed about the window incident. 

This incident was never about officer safety. It was about the police flexing their power. It was a lesson about listening to the police or else. The officers own words and actions clearly back up this theme. Yes Hill is a POS. Still doesn't justify the police actions.

In short, I don't believe the officers had the legal authority to yank Hill out of the car. 

Hill made a comment about his ankle being injured as he was forcing him down and the cop said something about his ear being injured too (since he wasn't listening)

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

This incident isn't really a use of force case in a true sense. I would say the officer who grabbed a cuffed Hill (and restrained by another officer) around his neck was not justified use of force. 

This case is more about whether the police violated Hill's rights by forceably removing Hill from his vehicle. What legal basis did they have to do that? A police officer is not legally authorized to forceably remove citizens from their povs just because they are officers. There has to be articulate facts like drugs, safety of officers or others, non compliance like refusing to I'd when a crime or violation has been committed. I'm not sure the Miami police can legally articulate the facts to justify their actions. 

If the police can articulate that the driver "failed to obey a lawful order", he can be yanked out of a car and arrested.  Whether he was issued a lawful order will be debated.

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, RangerDave said:

If the police can articulate that the driver "failed to obey a lawful order", he can be yanked out of a car and arrested.  Whether he was issued a lawful order will be debated.

Interesting to see what happens from a legal view point. I suspect the POS Hill gets some money and the police department discipline a couple of officers. Soon this will be a non story. 

I am fascinated by the legal implications of the incident. I stand by what I said but others here are making me question my stance. Not a bad thing. 

• Like (+1) 1

Not saying the officer handled it the best. But what most people don’t realize is, if you are asked to exit a vehicle during a traffic stop, you are required to do such. If you don’t, you can be forcefully removed from the vehicle. The Supreme Court has ruled on this. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

38 minutes ago, K D said:

That's nice. The cop can't see that when you have tinted windows. You can see in the video the only thing the cop can see is his own reflection. He overreacted though, that's why it's the first thing I posted in my reply. Both wrong. Could be a learning opportunity if they worked together to say why and didn't point fingers like this. What's he going to do? Sue and get the cop fired when Tyreek made over $1 million that DAY and the cop makes probably less than $100k per year dealing with people who want to kill him every day? Wow I guess he really showed him.

Or maybe be a standup guy for once and say this cop overreacted but I will take the high road and say I was also rude for yelling at him and was wrong for speeding 100mph but I'm going to work with the police department to make a video to show kids how to react when being pulled over so both sides can learn how to do the right thing. Be calm and respectful, communicate clearly, make sure the police can see you at all times, and everyone is happy and you aren't on the evening news.

Nah. He’ll play the race card because that is how it goes. Instigate, call foul when it gets ugly. I can’t stand jerks like Hill 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 4

38 minutes ago, Jtowntobuffalo said:

If it’s a valid traffic stop. Yes you can be asked to step out of the vehicle, as it 

The Court held that the intrusion of asking a person to exit his or her car was “de minimis.” The Court also noted that the police officer is much safer from not only oncoming traffic but from any potential nefarious act of the driver or the passenger.     

The current state of search and seizure law allows a police officer to order a driver and the passengers out of vehicle that is stopped for even a minor traffic violation. However, the law does not require you to answer any questions or to consent to a search of your vehicle.

I said if one refuses to exit there vehicle on a valid traffic stop. They can be charged and arrested. And yes they can. 

I stand corrected. You are right. 

Both appear to be in the wrong.   If Hill took a different approach and was respectful of the officers this would not have happened.  The officers are not used to rich people not complying with their words and are power hungry tough guys.  Not sure if laws were broken but Hill will likely “Win” here. 

• Disagree 1

28 minutes ago, Matt_In_NH said:

Both appear to be in the wrong.   If Hill took a different approach and was respectful of the officers this would not have happened.  The officers are not used to rich people not complying with their words and are power hungry tough guys.  Not sure if laws were broken but Hill will likely “Win” here. 

How can they both be in the wrong if Tyreek Floyd would have just complied? One side caused the whole situation.

How are they power hungry?  Want them to just hang out there all day and be like crazy Mike McDaniel, new age coach, and try and reason with him to why he should comply.

Again... They didn't kill him. Sure they tuned him up... Did he learn his lesson about listening?

Have we really gone this soft?

He was driving like a nut in his supercar... Motorcycle cops pulled him over... He got two citations.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Gonna bottom line this.   If the arrogant jerk had rolled his windows down and complied with their requests he would have been written and ticket and been on his way.   Had his teammates not pulled over and started filming with their phones, and got back in the car and immediately left like requested there would have been little to no issue.

For all the people defending Tyreek Hill why don't you go work in Miami, maybe even Dade County for even just a week and see if you don't get a little agitated when you have to knock on someone's window during a traffic stop, wondering to yourself what's next. 

I cannot fathom how anyone can defend this scumbag. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

How can they both be in the wrong if Tyreek Floyd would have just complied? One side caused the whole situation.

How are they power hungry?  Want them to just hang out there all day and be like crazy Mike McDaniel, new age coach, and try and reason with him to why he should comply.

Again... They didn't kill him. Sure they tuned him up... Did he learn his lesson about listening?

Have we really gone this soft?

He was driving like a nut in his supercar... Motorcycle cops pulled him over... He got two citations.

With Floyd, they were both wrong too......Floyd was being a punk but he also did not deserve to be murdered......and he was 100% murdered.  So by referring to the Floyd thing you you showed exactly why the underlined can be true.   Cops get away with all kinds of things they are not permitted to under the constitution because they have a ton of power.  Put a cop and a defendant on the stand, no matter what the truth was, a jury will believe the cop.  They have the power to change the course of lives and that power goes to their head in a lot of cases, it's just human nature.    Tyreek was a punk and none of this would have happened if he politely explained he was in a hurry and should not have been speeding or whatever he was doing.  Oh yeah, he should have had his seatbelt on too.  The worst part about this whole thing is the media is playing it 100% as the police are in the wrong, I am not an expert but it did seem excessive even though Hill was a jerk.  

8 hours ago, Herc11 said:

If you believe it's ok to drag someone out of the car for rolling his window up after he provided his driver's license, you're a problem just like these cops. This is 100% excessive force.

There is no law that states you must keep your window down during a traffic stop. You just have to provide DL, registration, and proof of insurance. 

The officer has to be able to see your hands and ensure that you are not grabbing a weapon. Traffic stops can be very dangerous.  His windows were clearly darker than the allowable tint level. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2