Tyreek Hill apparently arrested this morning…

stevestojan

1 minute ago, klos63 said:

I would think if they had reasonable suspicion, they could search the car.  But here's the point... they obviously were not worried about him having a gun. If they were, they wouldn't just stand next to the window.

Rolling up your window is uncivilized?  Interesting take, who's the one on a mission here?

I think you clearly have an agenda.

You're trying to cherry pick my words and twist this.

I have zero agenda.  Hill broke the law, disobeyed officers, then wants to play victim.  And after the fact, happened to twist the story to media.

Simple.  No agenda.  Everyone go about your day when you act "civilized".  I.didnt call it uncivilized to roll up a window.  It's called common sense and also acting without being a total entitled dick.

How about in education?  What if your kid verbally abuses a teacher then says just give me my detention I'm in a hurry.  Yeah, bigger issue here isn't how authority figures handle the situation it's the human beings that have lost all decency.

Going a step forward.  Whenever a person's actions cause an unwanted reaction, they threaten to sue OR play victim.  Great society we live in.  So yes, I'll say again, act civilized.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1. Cop can ask hill to roll down window.

2. Hill can refuse.

3. Cop then can tell hill to exit. Cop does not need probable cause or reasonable suspicion that anything more than a traffic infraction was committed.
4. Hill can choose to refuse, but then Hill can be physically removed and arrested (in nys issued an appearance ticket) Appears Hill refusal to exit wasn’t charged but it could have been. Officers do not have to charge someone, they also can choose to unarrest someone (discretion).

Cops use to be trained when dealing with a difficult person refusing to comply: ask, tell, make. Now it’s more ask, beg, plead, ask again, then speak to a supervisor, ask one more time. They let them go because it’s not worth it. 

Is he required to ask Hill twice to exit? No. Obviously he could have been more patient. Does he have to be? No. Can a cop rip you out of a car for refusing a command to get out. Yes. They can even put you on the ground and cuff you. They didn’t punch him on the ground, they cuffed him. Cop may have had an ego, but was justified in his actions legally. 98 out of 100 cops may have been cooler, more patient and chose not to ask him out of the car, that doesn’t mean this officer wasn’t justified in his actions legally. Can he be disciplined? Absolutely if they believe his tone, attitude and language was unprofessional. 

Hill is no victim here.  Not Complying was his choice and was illegal. 

Edited by Jtowntobuffalo
  • Thank you (+1) 1

So according to a story I read (espn I think), Hill was calling the team’s security guy named Drew. He started that call before the craziness happened. I’m sure every team has that protocol, call so and so if you’re in trouble. I want to know that guy’s deal. That’s the annoying part to me, that all these teams have that shady guy out there who makes speeding tickets go away. 

What would have happened if you weren’t Tyreek Hill? You would have actually gotten your ticket… well, that and you wouldn’t have been in the super fancy fast car in the first place. 

Edited by shrader

15 minutes ago, Jtowntobuffalo said:

1. Cop can ask hill to roll down window.

2. Hill can refuse.

3. Cop then can tell hill to exit. Cop does not need probable cause or reasonable suspicion that anything more than a traffic infraction was committed.
4. Hill can choose to refuse, but then Hill can be physically removed and arrested (in nys issued an appearance ticket) Appears Hill refusal to exit wasn’t charged but it could have been. Officers do not have to charge someone, they also can choose to unarrest someone (discretion).

Cops use to be trained when dealing with a difficult person refusing to comply: ask, tell, make. Now it’s more ask, beg, plead, ask again, then speak to a supervisor, ask one more time. They let them go because it’s not worth it. 

Is he required to ask Hill twice to exit? No. Obviously he could have been more patient. Does he have to be? No. Can a cop rip you out of a car for refusing a command to get out. Yes. They can even put you on the ground and cuff you. They didn’t punch him on the ground, they cuffed him. Cop may have had an ego, but was justified in his actions legally. 98 out of 100 cops may have been cooler, more patient and chose not to ask him out of the car, that doesn’t mean this officer wasn’t justified in his actions legally. Can he be disciplined? Absolutely if they believe his tone, attitude and language was unprofessional. 

Hill is no victim here.  Not Complying was his choice and was illegal. 

The only thing Hill is required to do is provide DL, proof of insurance, and registration. You can see him hand it to the cop when his window was down. 

You are not legally obligated to keep your window down even if the big bad cop wants it down. You don't have to answer any questions or even talk to the cop. 

The cop will likely be fired or suspended for excessive use of force.

8 minutes ago, shrader said:

So according to a story I read (espn I think), Hill was calling the team’s security guy named Drew. He started that call before the craziness happened. I’m sure every team has that protocol, call so and so if you’re in trouble. I want to know that guy’s deal. That’s the annoying part to me, that all these teams have that shady guy out there who makes speeding tickets go away. 

What would have happened if you weren’t Tyreek Hill? You would have actually gotten your ticket… well, that and you wouldn’t have been in the super fancy fast car in the first place. 

If you have money, you get away with *****. That's how this world has always worked and will always work. 

Edited by Herc11
  • Agree 1

7 hours ago, shrader said:

D̶r̶e̶w̶ ̶=̶D̶r̶e̶w̶ ̶R̶o̶s̶e̶n̶h̶a̶u̶s̶

Drew = Drew Miami’s security dude

Edited by MarkKelso'sHelmet
wrong

4 minutes ago, Herc11 said:

The only thing Hill is required to do is provide DL, proof of insurance, and registration. You can see him hand it to the cop when his window was down. 

You are not legally obligated to keep your window down even if the big bad cop wants it down. You don't have to answer any questions or even talk to the cop. 

The cop will be fired, just like the cop involved with Scottie Shefler, because he used excessive force.

If you have money, you get away with *****. That's how this world has always worked and will always work. 

If the cop asks you to exit a vehicle you must do so. Period. Penn v Mimms. 

Hill doesn’t have to roll down window. But he must exit if commanded to do so. If not he can be arrested and removed forcefully. Period. 

cop may be fired for his tone, lack of patience, and attitude. But legally he was within his rights to do what he did. If Hill did in fact refuse to exit. 

• Disagree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, klos63 said:

I would think if they had reasonable suspicion, they could search the car.

Just a point of law:  You need just reasonable suspicion to pull a vehicle over.  You need just reasonable suspicion to detain a person.  You need probable cause to search a vehicle.

In my opinion based on what I have seen on video and what has been reported, they had reasonable suspicion to stop the car and reasonable suspicion to detain the driver.  They did not have probable cause to search the vehicle.

Was the ticket for reckless driving or just speeding. The reckless part is a pretty serious offense:

Florida

Florida Statute Section 316.192: Reckless Driving [9]

(1)(a) Any person who drives any vehicle in willful or wanton disregard for the safety of persons or property is guilty of reckless driving.

(b) Fleeing a law enforcement officer in a motor vehicle is reckless driving per se.

(2) Except as provided in subsection (3), any person convicted of reckless driving shall be punished:

(a) Upon a first conviction, by imprisonment for a period of not more than 90 days or by fine of not less than $25 nor more than $500, or by both such fine and imprisonment.

(b) On a second or subsequent conviction, by imprisonment for not more than 6 months or by a fine of not less than $50 nor more than $1,000, or by both such fine and imprisonment.

(3) Any person:

(a) Who is in violation of subsection (1);

(b) Who operates a vehicle; and

(c) Who, by reason of such operation, causes:

1. Damage to the property or person of another commits a misdemeanor of the first degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082 or s. 775.083.

2. Serious bodily injury to another commits a felony of the third degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082, s. 775.083, or s. 775.084. The term "serious bodily injury" means an injury to another person, which consists of a physical condition that creates a substantial risk of death, serious personal disfigurement, or protracted loss or impairment of the function of any bodily member or organ.

(4) Notwithstanding any other provision of this section, $5 shall be added to a fine imposed pursuant to this section. The clerk shall remit the $5 to the Department of Revenue for deposit in the Emergency Medical Services Trust Fund.

(5) In addition to any other penalty provided under this section, if the court has reasonable cause to believe that the use of alcohol, chemical substances set forth in s. 877.111, or substances controlled under chapter 893 contributed to a violation of this section, the court shall direct the person so convicted to complete a DUI program substance abuse

6 minutes ago, Jtowntobuffalo said:

If the cop asks you to exit a vehicle you must do so. Period. Penn v Mimms. 

Hill doesn’t have to roll down window. But he must exit if commanded to do so. If not he can be arrested and removed forcefully. Period. 

cop may be fired for his tone, lack of patience, and attitude. But legally he was within his rights to do what he did. If Hill did in fact refuse to exit. 

There were three cops near Hill’s door. The one doing all the talking is not the one that pulled him out. I’m not so sure that people even realize that. 

55 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

Disagree. You are making all kinds of unfounded allegations. I doubt the tinted window was not in compliance with vehicle laws. There is no mention of the windows being illegal. Hill complied by giving his license and registration. State what law requires him to roll down his window? There's no indication that Hill had a weapon or was a threat to the police. Zero evidence. In fact, the police officers made it very clear that he didn't listen to them. That they are the ones in control. That he should have listened. Cite the violation of law here. The only violation of law here is the police officers actions. 

Not trying to argue , but do you live in Florida or practice law in Florida ?  I have lived here in Ponte Vedra , a suburb of Jax, since 1985.  

THERE is indeed a law in Florida regarding window tint and you can get a ticket , cited , for your tint being too dark. I own a sports car type vehicle ,  I only mention this as I have owned simple sedan type cars as well, and like it or not , sports car type vehicles draw more “ scrutiny “ , than other suv/ sedan type cars.  Just saying , practically , that’s a real part of life in Florida. 

To even get your windows tinted in Florida ( almost everyone does it to protect the dash and other leather/ plastic from the damaging rays j

down here all year long.  To even get the next level just slightly darker than what is legal , I went to a shop and I had to specify, by saying the exact words , that I wanted the next level of tint and that I did know I was asking for an ILLEGAL tint to be  applied , or the owner of the shop would NOT EVEN touch the car.  
      He would not even say the words next level or illegal etc,,,he waited until  I came across with the right phrase ( which included using the illegal next level ) of tint.  I didn’t know I had to request this as this was the first sports car type I thought was worth protecting from the sun as I planned on keeping the vehicle for quite a while.
     The guy owns a shop right next to an exotic car dealer /repair shop in Jax  called OMEGA motiorspotrs.   I mention this cuz the owner and his wife have been patients in my practice for over 20  years and he told me he sends all his customers to this tint shop to get the windows done as he won’t do it in his dealership.  He is a certified master technician for Porsche and was the manager of the garage  of the largest Porsche dealer in Florida before he left to open his shop. He only works on exotic cars and he is well known in the area. He only works with very qualified other car technicians. 

My tint is no where near the darkness of the tint on hills car.  You can still see the driver in my car , but it’s darker than what is LEGAL IN FLORIDA, , and I did it to help protect the dash as stated.   So how do I know it’s illegal , besides having to ask for illegal tint to be applied.?  I was driving home one early evening after seeing a patient in the er who I admitted. I live 20 min from the hospital , and on the way home I was honestly deep in thought about the case and I didn’t know I was being followed for at least  10 min by a trooper. When I finally noticed , it was too late as the guy had his lights on and pulled me over.  

He came up and asked me to roll my window down.  Luckily I still had my white coat on and a stethoscope around my neck.  He explained he was following me for ten min , trying to give me a chance to slow down before pulling me over !  I was honest and said I really didn’t notice him and I was apologetic for speeding ( I was about 15 mph over the limit) and I was just not paying attention as I was thinking about the person I just admitted.    He appreciated the honesty, and also at that time put some instrument on my window and also told me my tint exceeded the legal level of tint allowed in Florida.   I told him I had just purchased the car  ( true., I got it from a close friend with only 100 miles on the car) and I bought it that way.  So def a little white lie there as I had only owned the car a week and I did get the tint installed. Again , shen I did it . I had no idea it was a big deal and too dark was illegal. 

The trooper was amazingly nice , because I had been honest about not intentionally speeding , just not paying attention, and he gave me a warning only. He told me he could have given me a ticket for the tint , but because I was in a service industry like him , he wasn’t going to even put that on the warning because that meant I had to have it replaced within a certain time, 2 weeks I believe.

The point is tho , there is a LEGAL AND HENCE , ILLEGAL LEVEL of window tint on Florida and he informed me you can be pulled over just for having too dark a tint on your windows in Florida. I have no  reason to believe he or the shop that installed mine would lie to me. .  I watched the police cam from HILLS CASE , ON FOX TONIGHT , and I can tell you that tint is way darker than what is on my car , so there is an ILLEGAL level of tint.

As they said on Fox, when  they pull over the car , there is NO WAY TO TELL RACE OR WHATEVER IS GOING ON.Behind THAT  LEVEL OF TINT.   All he had to do was comply.  Of course the officer escalated things inappropriately, but if HILL had just not been breaking the law , and then acted like an entitled a hole , he would have had a simple ticket to fight in court.  

So, yes , there is a legal / illegal tint level in Florida and they carry an instrument to measure that in their cars. Hope that helps from a long time Florida resident.   HE WAS VIOLATING THE LAW( speeding and above 10 mph above the limit , it is a criminal infraction in Florida that I have officers tell me then requires a court appearance , not just a ticket you can pay online).    So if pulled over , comply , and realize the fact that with a tint that dark , they are pulling over a CAR ONLY, there is NO WAY TO SEE RACE , OR A GUN in a car and for officer safety they can legally ask you to roll down the window.  I know if I’m pulled over , I’m being compliant and nice to avoid tickets, but also to avoid some crazy macho ,bad apple people you run into in any profession! .  😊✌️🥼

• Thank you (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, Jtowntobuffalo said:

98 out of 100 cops may have been cooler, more patient and chose not to ask him out of the car, that doesn’t mean this officer wasn’t justified in his actions legally. Can he be disciplined? Absolutely if they believe his tone, attitude and language was unprofessional. 

In Graham vs Connor, the US Supreme Court established what has become known as the “objectively reasonable standard” when it held that “the ‘reasonableness’ of a particular use of force must be judged from the perspective of a reasonable officer on the scene, rather than with the 20/20 vision of hindsight.  This could be enforced by civil or crimninal courts.

That said, each police department can establish its own (more restrictive) Use of Force standards for its internal policy.  As you said, that would be enforced by personnel discipline actions.

3 minutes ago, RangerDave said:

In Graham vs Connor, the US Supreme Court established what has become known as the “objectively reasonable standard” when it held that “the ‘reasonableness’ of a particular use of force must be judged from the perspective of a reasonable officer on the scene, rather than with the 20/20 vision of hindsight.  This could be enforced by civil or crimninal courts.

That said, each police department can establish its own (more restrictive) Use of Force standards for its internal policy.  As you said, that would be enforced by personnel discipline actions.

100% correct.

Just because 98 out of 100 officers may have just ignored that they they could remove Hill out of the vehicle, the fact this officer chose to take action I don’t think on its face makes it  a unreasonable action. Each state and department have different guidelines. But speaking to weather legally you can remove someone from a vehicle the law has ruled you can. Now the amount of force you use to make a lawful arrest is weighed by the objectively reasonable standard. 

• Disagree 1