9/8/24 GAMEDAY Opening Day Bills vs Cardinals Pregame Thread

Chandler#81

It’s finally Here! 

A long 8 months ago, we witnessed the end of an era at New Era. While our overall playoff record is a semi-admirable 19-21, the most recent time we won the last playoff game of a season was December 1965. Chiefs RB Mike Garrett adding the finishing touch by running through the entire Bills Defense to score and put the game away.

The last time was also against KC, but the damage was self inflicted.

Soon after, the Bills bid adieu to future Ring of Honor enshrinees Tre White, Stefon Diggs, Micah Hyde & Jordan Poyer plus a handful of other starters. What was billed as necessary cost cutting measures and a youth infusion quickly dissolved by accommodating Diggs’ trade desire and eating $34million in dead cap, only getting a 2nd Round pick (& a late rounder) in return. We will however, be completely clear of him at seasons’ end. This season, simply stated, is a great unknown. What can be expected from Babich at the helm of the Defense with so many of the last years’ squad no longer here? Milano’s injury is a killer, though we’ve had to do without him a lot. Only Shakir returns from the WR Corp with only Curtis Samuel being a known contributor. Many here debate BBeane’s drafting capabilities, (Worthy notwithstanding) but in recent seasons we’ve built a strong young core from this process including 8 from last season and 14  from this years’ rookie crop. 

Rather than digress to the unknown factor, there are some ‘knowns’. We have an excellent coaching staff. From Sean and Kromer to Brady, Babich & Smiley and introduces Jahmile Addae as the DB coach.  We can anticipate very good line play on both sides of the ball and the onus is now on Rapp, Bernard, Benford and T. Johnson to hold down the Secondary. If our award winning health and wellness team isn’t the League’s best, I don’t know who is. We have a resurrected corpse starting at Corner today! The passing game no longer has an egomaniac demanding the ball while disappearing, so Allen will have a full field to find an open man. Scheme will be essential and #17 is now a true master at dissecting Defense and knowledge of specific tendencies. Josh is an MVP worthy QB who has improved every year and he’ll challenge for the award again this season. I believe we’ll have a determined effort running the ball and I expect the offense to be very good matriculating upfield. With that, of course, the more plays you run, the more opportunities for turnovers.. We’re used to playing 1st Place schedules, which is also a positive. How many games it takes to meld everything against bonafide powers early on will likely determine our chances in December.

As for the Cardinals, we know Kyle Murray is an elusive playmaker and rookie WR Marvin Harrison Jr is a must see, high potential player. HC Jonathan Gannon had a terrible 1st season with Murray still recovering from a knee injury as their 4-13 record attests. Buddha Baker appears to be the lone bright spot on Defense. Their schedule is more brutal than ours with us, the Rams, Lions, 49ers, Chargers, Jets, Packers, Bears & Miami after us and all before Thanksgiving. So they’re eyeing today as a Must Win game!

I have no clue what to expect from the touch-league inspired kickoff rules, but I wish Nyheim Hines was still here.

So here we go! Ready or not, 2024 is ON!

GO BILLS!

Joe Marino chimes in

Edited by Chandler#81
  • Like (+1) 6
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

GO BILLS!!! 

playoff seeding starts at 1:00 pm fellas, no fuh king around, be serious, play loose, and kick some azs!

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I have very high hopes for Cole Bishop at Safety. 4 year starter and team captain. I’m fairly certain he’d have been our 2nd round pick even if Poyer & Hyde were still here.

Edited by Chandler#81

2 hours ago, Mike in Horseheads said:

Lets go Bills! Please Don't rip our hearts out again ! Some of us our getting a little old for constant restarts on our tickers

I’d venture there’s a few million Bills fans pushing up daisies who’ve never seen a title in this city..😥

Edited by Chandler#81
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Ah, the "Bills bipolar" begins for another year. It's been with me since I was a child and always affects me at this time of year.

Sunday mornings are euphoric, full of excitement and endless possibilities. I love my family and feel glad to be alive.

A few hours later I hate everyone and everything, football has gone to hell and isn't even a sport anymore and I insist I'm going to start reading more instead of watching this garbage. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 4