No coach has ever made their first superbowl after being with a team for 7+ years

1 hour ago, MPL said:

I think, maybe, what OP means is that no (head coach + starting QB) combo has made their (first) super bowl (together) after 6 seasons (together). 

Andy Reid and McNabb were in year 6 together when they lost to New England. 

Tom Landry coached for a long time before finally making (and losing) the Super Bowl in Craig Morton's 2nd season as the starter. Then Landry made Roger Staubach the starting QB the following season and won the Super Bowl in Staubach's first year as starter. 

John Madden was in his 8th year coaching the Raiders when they won the Super Bowl, but that was Ken Stabler's 4th season as the starting QB. 

Lombardi and Starr? They won NFL Championships together before the Super Bowl existed. 

Bill Cowher? Made his first Super Bowl in his 4th season as coach. Lost with Neil O'Donnel.  Finally won a Super Bowl in Big Ben's 2nd season. 

How about Bud Grant? He made his first Super Bowl in year 7 as the Vikings coach. But it was Fran Tarkington's 2nd year as starter. 

And this brings us back to Andy Reid and the Chiefs... Reid was in year 7 coaching the Chiefs when he won his first Super Bowl with Pat Mahommes in his 2nd year as the starter. 

Oh, and speaking of the Chiefs, here's a good one. Hank Stram was in his 10th year as Chiefs coach and Len Dawson was in his 8th year as starting QB when the Chiefs won Super Bowl IV. BUT... Stram and Dawson won an AFL Championship (the highest level they could achieve at the time) in Stram's 3rd year as coach and Dawson's first year as starter. Meaning, they had already cleared the hurdle of winning the big one together. 

Last year, I made a whole spreadsheet tracking the coach and starting QB for every Super Bowl winner and loser (because I'm a loser). It all checks out. I wanted to find a loophole. There isn't one. History is damning for the likelihood of McDermott and Allen making a Super Bowl together as the Bills HC and starting QB. I hope they're the first to do it. 

A grudging tip of the hat to you for the good post and work.

Still as others have pointed out, history does not disqualify future unprecedented events.

Go Bills!!!

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Sierra Foothills said:

A grudging tip of the hat to you for the good post and work.

Still as others have pointed out, history does not disqualify future unprecedented events.

Go Bills!!!

100%. I like McDermott. I like Allen. I root for them to make history. 

• Thank you (+1) 2

18 hours ago, TrentEdwardsCheckDownOn4th said:

What makes us think McDermott will be the first coach to ever break this trend ? Players get tired of the same message year in and year out if it's not producing championships.

Who cares

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, newcam2012 said:

KC, Mahomes, Reid, and Veach aren't going anywhere. The path to the Bills beating them in the playoffs is what in your opinion? 

In a single eliminator you're always a squib kick away.

22 hours ago, TrentEdwardsCheckDownOn4th said:

What makes us think McDermott will be the first coach to ever break this trend ? Players get tired of the same message year in and year out if it's not producing championships.

This is so stupid.  How many coaches make it 7 years?  I'm guessing not many.  It's not that the players get tired since there's so much player turnover.  It's more because coaches are hired by underachieving teams & it's tough to turn a team around enough not to get fired within 7 years when you start with a bad team.  The only teams that keep coaches around that long are teams that acquired a franchise QB before the coach could get fired.  A franchise QB can carry a coach for many seasons.  

Maybe the real stat is no coach has lasted 7 years without a franchise QB.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 9/7/2024 at 7:56 PM, TrentEdwardsCheckDownOn4th said:

Respectfully, if you believe this tiny little bit of data has any predictive value whatsoever, well, you don’t seem to know how these things work.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, TrentEdwardsCheckDownOn4th said:

Mr McDermott please forgive me for making this asinine post. But also please don't dissappear again against the cheifs come playoff time.

Honestly it just seems like a troll job all around 

And McDermott can't hear you

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Haha (+1) 1