No coach has ever made their first superbowl after being with a team for 7+ years

57 minutes ago, TrentEdwardsCheckDownOn4th said:

You're right I meant to say "made it to the superbowl " not " won the superbowl ". I edited the title. 

14 minutes ago, CoudyBills said:

Hell, OP didn't even go with won.  Said made.

He had to change the title because he was 100% wrong.  

21 minutes ago, Shortchaz said:

I mean, statistically speaking it’s probably more likely McDermott is fired than he wins a superbowl 

That is True - it is also statistically likely that the same is true of any replacement coach as 0% of people coaching the Bills have won a Super Bowl.

It is statistically more likely for every coach hired that they will be fired rather than winning the Super Bowl as only like 35 coaches have ever won and the number of coaches in the history of the NFL is significant.

2 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

2nd best record is what I wrote!!

Yes, second best record would be second most super bowls.  If you had said second best regular season record , you would be correct.  But that is not what you said. 

• Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 1

32 minutes ago, Chaos said:

Yes, second best record would be second most super bowls.  If you had said second best regular season record , you would be correct.  But that is not what you said. 

Come on Chaos. You are reaching for straws here. And I usually agree with most of your posts. 

When someone says second best record they are not talking post season. That's been the common understanding for as long as I can remember. 

1 hour ago, Chaos said:

Really how do you figure that?  I also didn't state 2nd best super bowl record either, so you also are incorrect.  You're just a Bills hater who twists everything to try and look like your right, but really are just clueless.

11 hours ago, julian said:

That’s correct, but at some point you roll the dice instead of continuing to bang your head on the same door until one day your 1st ballot HOF QB retires or walks out the door.

Fear of the unknown can’t hold you back from making a change, all that being said I’m pulling for McDermott and hope he gets it done.

True can't keep doing the same things, but the odds are much greater the team will get worse than better with a change as they use to say about the 1962 Mets, there's no place to go but up!  In this case there's a better chance of going down.

• Like (+1) 1

I think, maybe, what OP means is that no (head coach + starting QB) combo has made their (first) super bowl (together) after 6 seasons (together). 

Andy Reid and McNabb were in year 6 together when they lost to New England. 

Tom Landry coached for a long time before finally making (and losing) the Super Bowl in Craig Morton's 2nd season as the starter. Then Landry made Roger Staubach the starting QB the following season and won the Super Bowl in Staubach's first year as starter. 

John Madden was in his 8th year coaching the Raiders when they won the Super Bowl, but that was Ken Stabler's 4th season as the starting QB. 

Lombardi and Starr? They won NFL Championships together before the Super Bowl existed. 

Bill Cowher? Made his first Super Bowl in his 4th season as coach. Lost with Neil O'Donnel.  Finally won a Super Bowl in Big Ben's 2nd season. 

How about Bud Grant? He made his first Super Bowl in year 7 as the Vikings coach. But it was Fran Tarkington's 2nd year as starter. 

And this brings us back to Andy Reid and the Chiefs... Reid was in year 7 coaching the Chiefs when he won his first Super Bowl with Pat Mahommes in his 2nd year as the starter. 

Oh, and speaking of the Chiefs, here's a good one. Hank Stram was in his 10th year as Chiefs coach and Len Dawson was in his 8th year as starting QB when the Chiefs won Super Bowl IV. BUT... Stram and Dawson won an AFL Championship (the highest level they could achieve at the time) in Stram's 3rd year as coach and Dawson's first year as starter. Meaning, they had already cleared the hurdle of winning the big one together. 

Last year, I made a whole spreadsheet tracking the coach and starting QB for every Super Bowl winner and loser (because I'm a loser). It all checks out. I wanted to find a loophole. There isn't one. History is damning for the likelihood of McDermott and Allen making a Super Bowl together as the Bills HC and starting QB. I hope they're the first to do it. 

Edited by MPL

32 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

True can't keep doing the same things, but the odds are much greater the team will get worse than better with a change as they use to say about the 1962 Mets, there's no place to go but up!  In this case there's a better chance of going down.

Just agree with me goddammit !!!!! Lol