Can we really judge Bass in Sunday's weather?

DeepPass

Is this a first time preemptive Bass excuse thread? Now we know he's a concern

It's going to be 64 degrees and sunny ffs, you answered your own question in the first sentence

Edited by Nelius
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Our opponents - who are not used to Buffalo weather - have come to Buffalo and made plenty of kicks in bad weather, more than our own kicker that has had more experience in these conditions. So yeah, we can judge him, especially if Prater is making his kicks…

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, DeepPass said:

For the Cardinal game it will be 64 degrees and sunny.  Great Fall day.

But, winds will be 20-25 mph from the West.  We all know how our stadium handles wind.  I'm hoping the game doesn't come down to FG's.

where are you seeing this wind speed?

I am a big weather worrier, and what I am seeing is wind speed of around 12 MPH. Gusts might be in the 20’s, but gusts alone don’t necessarily mean a windy day. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

where are you seeing this wind speed?

I am a big weather worrier, and what I am seeing is wind speed of around 12 MPH. Gusts might be in the 20’s, but gusts alone don’t necessarily mean a windy day. 

I am too. 20+ mph winds could be an issue, especially in our stadium.

But hopefully McDermott is smart enough to take into consideration his kicker's struggles when making decisions tomorrow. We punted a lot when in opponent's territory the first half of last season, but if Bass is struggling, I'd rather they go that route than take long shot FGs.

Either that or know you're going for it on 4th down & call plays with that in mind.

• Like (+1) 1

Let’s do the golf comparison. I believe it’s valid. A good golfer (very good, great, pro) will hit soft/hard punch shots with lots of shape all day long in Rich Stadium equivalent weather. Of course a bad day is expected, but they shoot very good scores playing a completely different style of golf more times than not. It’s easy, it’s low, it’s short, it’s controlled, it’s more about feel and conditions. It’s a joy to witness. 

A lesser good player who quickly finds out they’re not so good (ask me how I know this one) when on a new course, in bad weather, on a different continent. I couldn’t handle it, but I learned a lot. 

If Bass can’t kick in bad weather, he’s no good anymore. I’m not happy about it. But we should not be even be questioning our kicker in ANY conditions. We should be saying, and only saying, cool… our kicker can handle it, and their kicker might struggle at OP. 

50 minutes ago, BigDingus said:

I am too. 20+ mph winds could be an issue, especially in our stadium.

But hopefully McDermott is smart enough to take into consideration his kicker's struggles when making decisions tomorrow. We punted a lot when in opponent's territory the first half of last season, but if Bass is struggling, I'd rather they go that route than take long shot FGs.

Either that or know you're going for it on 4th down & call plays with that in mind.

If Bass is struggling, wouldn’t we fry McDermott..??