Spencer Brown signs 4 year extension

Big Blitz

37 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

O'Cyrus didn't look great in the preseason I'm not cutting McGovern unless we know that have two quality starting OGs.

Offensive linemen tend to get in shape during camp as offseason recovery is big for them - so I'm hoping his conditioning is improved.  Once you're around your peers, and everyone's lifting and training hard it gets a bit easier.  

Just now, Dablitzkrieg said:

Mistake to do it now.  To Happy Days point, it looks like it was forced

It's a negotiating tactic.  The agent basically sets a deadline, and after that it's in Beane's court - either tag him or he walks.  

1 hour ago, GoBills808 said:

He doesn't do that very well

Brown surrendered 42 pressures of Allen and five sacks on the season

So a little more than 2 pressures per game?  I can live with that.  Did you watch the Ravens' OL last night?

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

Everyone agrees a big problem with our team is we don't have enough true game changers. Brown has been a good to very good RT for us but he is not a game changer. That's where my issue lies. We're taking money that could be spent on a real game changer and giving it to merely a solid player instead, plus we probably could have gotten a 3rd round comp pick back if he walked in FA next year. Every investment is a trade off and I'm not convinced in this case the trade off is worth it.

I'm all about protecting Josh, first.  And getting him weapons, second.

A good to great OL can cure alot of problems.  

Also, if we're talking trade offs of cap space/investment.  I'd much rather Beane continue his trend of investing top end picks at WR.  FA WR money is just stupid right now.  We don't know Browns $ yet, but having both OTs locked up is huge.

Coming into next year, we'll have a 3rd year TE (1st rd), 2nd yr WR (2nd rd), and a 4th year RB (2nd rd).  Add another WR in Rd1 or Rd2, and we're set at skill spots.  Depending on what they do with Knox, perhaps a TE2 will be on the radar.

To go along with McGovern, a 3rd year OG (2nd rd), and potentially a replacement LG or in house option.

I'd say Beane has set us up for success.  Contrary to many beliefs on here.  The Diggs dead cap is the elephant in the room.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

15 minutes ago, BigAl2526 said:

I understand Kromer loves him

The dude is a giant and athletic freak, has a great, kick-ass attitude, and seems to have gotten over the injury bug.  This is exactly the type of player you want to reward and keep around.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

Hmm. I'd have favoured letting him play it out personally. He had a good year last year and it is conceivable he is not yet at his ceiling given his physical potential and the relatively low level of college football he played at (so not exposed to top coaching etc). But he has had one good season, a history of back issues (which at his height is a concern), a shoulder surgery AND their 6th round rookie tackle looked really good in pre-season giving you at least a legitimate contender for the job if Brown ends up walking next year. 

The Bills could end up looking smart here if he keeps ascending. But they could look like dummies too. Hopefully Spencer proves them right.

Your final point is simply a truism.  Beane looks like a dummy for the contract he gave Von.  But that's all purely hindsight.   

Brown will be very good or not so good for the next several seasons, and no one knows.  

And I think your other points - "one good season, a history of back issues (which at his height is a concern), a shoulder surgery" don't convince, me either. One good season was his last season.  He was a raw talent when drafted, and just about all offensive linemen have a lot to learn.  So the fact that he's been on a pretty steady up escalator for a few years is a positive, not a negative.  His back issues seem to be getting farther into the rear view mirror, which also isn't surprising, as he's continued to work out and have better training than he had in college.   And since he's more experienced, he's playing in ways that are less likely to injure him.  And the number of tall offensive linemen in the league is growing.  All of that tells me that yes, he COULD have a back problem in his future, but the signs are positive.   Shoulder surgeries guys recover from.  

To Happy's concern, without quoting him, it's his admitted constant refrain:  This team needs game changers.   And I agree.  I think the Bills are short one or two game changers.  Oliver and Rousseau haven't emerged in that category.  There isn't a receiver, in that category, clearly.  

However, the reality of the cap is that you can't afford too many game changers.  You need solid players with experience whom you can rely on when you get to crunch time.  Brown clearly looks like he's emerging as one of those.

Where I think Hap's point is correct is that McDermott likes guys like Brown too much - versatile, do everything, work ethic, etc.  Sometimes I think there are too many of them on the roster, and you have to pay them to keep them, like they've decided to pay Brown.  As I've said often, those guys make your team versatile, which helps you accumulate wins in the regular season.  But when you get to the playoffs, you're playing teams that have more playmakers than you, and that hurts.   Last year in the playoffs against the Chiefs, they had Jones and the Bills didn't have Miller, they had Kelce and the Bills had an ineffective Diggs.   Mahomes and Allen were essentially a push.  That put the Chiefs up 2-0 in the game changer category, and against really good teams, that's a problem.  

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

51 minutes ago, BananaB said:

Remember when everyone was happy they signed Dawson Knox just before the season started. Average player and they are trying to get ahead of the payday. 

I wasn't happy at all with the Knox extension....thought it was a terrible contract.

Money not being announced tells me it is team leaning.  An athletic, young OT get paid paid.  Lock him up now.  Sign your young guys at premier positions.  OT is not an easy position to upgrade in 2024 NFL football.    

1 hour ago, BullBuchanan said:

Why would they look smart? According to the report, they're paying him top RT money. If you're just going to hand out a massive contract, you could do it on a proven commodity instead of betting on hope. If they gave him a long term deal with middling numbers, I could argue that being a move where they could look smart. With a top money deal, you can only be wrong, because the numbers make the assumption you're right.

I haven't seen the numbers.

47 minutes ago, eball said:

So a little more than 2 pressures per game?  I can live with that.  Did you watch the Ravens' OL last night?

I did... they were not impressive

This is very reminiscent of the Knox deal of which I was among a very small number of folks opposed also...we shall see