Spencer Brown signs 4 year extension

Big Blitz

2 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

They/Over the Cap were not wrong. $19M is what's FULLY guaranteed. Ian Rapaport is copy pasting what the agent sent him which is including other guarantees later in the contract, including a $16M option bonus owed in March 2025 and injury guarantees that don't kick in until future years. This is how Spotrac is describing it:

Was just going to say that.  It's pay as you go.  IF Spencer continues to improve it's a good contract for both sides.

If he doesn't, they can get out without too much pain.

The contract really makes Spencer work for his money.  It's a couple million more than he's worth right now but if he improves

a lot this season it saves the Bills $s in the future.

3 minutes ago, Virgil said:

Holy crap, I was only joking and pretty much nailed it 😛

The next RT that resets the market will be at $29M.  Sewel is already at $28M.

• Like (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

Now the 8th highest paid RT in the league - absolutely insane contract. Beane continues to bend himself over a barrel in very contract negotiation.

Quality offensive linemen are expensive these days. It’s harder and harder to find a franchise guy up front, so when you do, you pay them. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Roundybout said:

Quality offensive linemen are expensive these days. It’s harder and harder to find a franchise guy up front, so when you do, you pay them. 

I'm not sure a franchise RT exists. If they do, not sure I want one.

Morgan Moses graded out higher than Spencer Brown last year and makes 5M. Trent Brown did as well and makes under 5M.

Draft a rookie and grab a vet.

• Haha (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

Morgan Moses graded out higher than Spencer Brown last year and makes 5M. Trent Brown did as well and makes under 5M.

Yeah but both of those guys are aging journeymen on cheap one-year deals. Brown is young and can contribute to our team for years to come. 

If you can’t get a Joe Alt or a Penai Sewell in the draft, it’s dicey. 

Edited by Roundybout
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

19 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

$19m guaranteed is significantly different than $46m.  I guess Beane learned his lesson from Diggs’, Tre, Milano and Miller’s contracts.  

Wait, I saw another report that said he was getting 45 mil guaranteed

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Virgil said:

Wait, I saw another report that said he was getting 45 mil guaranteed

I've seen both numbers reported and there hasn't been any clarification on which is correct. 

I think the 45 million is correct but has a 7 million roster bonus in 2026 that everyone is assuming will be granted (I think this is a good assumption).  The reason for the lower number is the option and roster bonus not being included (signing bonus and guaranteed salary only)

23 minutes ago, Bruffalo said:

I've seen both numbers reported and there hasn't been any clarification on which is correct. 

• Like (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, Roundybout said:

Look at the list and how many are 30 plus.  Brown is still young.  Makes sense to do.  Look at Baltimore, KC, and Thursday Miami and see why you do it.  Alot of questions at OT. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, YattaOkasan said:

I think the 45 million is correct but has a 7 million roster bonus in 2026 that everyone is assuming will be granted (I think this is a good assumption).  The reason for the lower number is the option and roster bonus not being included (signing bonus and guaranteed salary only)

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/cash/_/year/2024

$19.8m guaranteed at signing.  Beane put in a lot of protection for the Bills in the contract in case Brown regresses or gets hurt.  Seems like a fair contract.  

• Like (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

Both are over 30 and neither offer what Brown does in the ground game.  His ability to get wide or pull across formation is not common.  It’s a projection but his age and athletic ability rarely make it to the open market.   

• Agree 2

15 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/cash/_/year/2024

$19.8m guaranteed at signing.  Beane put in a lot of protection for the Bills in the contract in case Brown regresses or gets hurt.  Seems like a fair contract.  

Agree its fair.  But the option bonus hits next year.  So thats 16 mill more.  Then 7.1 mil more in 2026 if hes on the roster (assuming early in the league year, prior to the draft).  Thats why people are putting the 45 mil number out there.  Cause there are very likely to be earned money that is guaranteed once the contract gets to that point.  I agree its a fair deal.  The cap hit is pretty manageable through 2026 (that year gets a bit high at 19 mil), and if they want to get out after that year then it saves 7 mil.  The downside of this contract seems to be that we cant restructure for a few years so we will be pretty stuck with that 2026 cap number.