Spencer Brown signs 4 year extension

Big Blitz

Just now, GunnerBill said:

Zero pressures given up by our tackles. 1 by Edwards (who was really good in the run game too) 2 by McGovern and 3 from Torrence (who also had 3 penalties - he was even worse on a 2nd look).

Torrence is a huge disappointment so far.  He came into the season without his mind or body right.  

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

Zero pressures given up by our tackles. 1 by Edwards (who was really good in the run game too) 2 by McGovern and 3 from Torrence (who also had 3 penalties - he was even worse on a 2nd look).

Broadcast was rough and wanted to hear about the all 22.  He still seems very engaged (picking teammates up, running to celebrate).  Think this is sophomore slump or is this Kromer working on things in the offseason and so hes taken a small step back before he gets go a better place?

2 minutes ago, YattaOkasan said:

Broadcast was rough and wanted to hear about the all 22.  He still seems very engaged (picking teammates up, running to celebrate).  Think this is sophomore slump or is this Kromer working on things in the offseason and so hes taken a small step back before he gets go a better place?

I think what happened a bit is after his strong start last year teams got film on him and identified he has a bit of a weakness to a quick first step pass rusher attacking his inside shoulder. And teams are going after it. To @Coach Tuesday's point above though I do wonder about his conditioning. I know he is a bigger guy but he looks heavy and he isn't the most fleet of foot to start with. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, gonzo1105 said:

Way more than I would want to pay for sure. I think this contract means that they are moving on from Dawkins after his contract is up. We have our tackles locked up until at least 2027 when Dawkins contract becomes releasable.

Was anyone thinking we’d be keeping Dawkins after his contract is up? He will be 34 in 2028. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

I think what happened a bit is after his strong start last year teams got film on him and identified he has a bit of a weakness to a quick first step pass rusher attacking his inside shoulder. And teams are going after it. To @Coach Tuesday's point above though I do wonder about his conditioning. I know he is a bigger guy but he looks heavy and he isn't the most fleet of foot to start with. 

Thanks.  I think thats a very reasonable assessment.  There were a few processing errors that I found interesting.  He misses the blitzer in the B gap on the cook 3rd down conversion after Josh bails Torrence out.  The false start.  Im hoping they were/are working on a couple things and hell get it sorted.  Conditioning is always gonna be a big thing with him.  Think he started playing football to keep his weight down cause he was pushing 400' at one point.

Edited by YattaOkasan
  • Like (+1) 2

21 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

Was anyone thinking we’d be keeping Dawkins after his contract is up? He will be 34 in 2028. 

Im not saying they are bad wording on my part but tackled do play forever. Whether Dawkins can do that is another question 

3 minutes ago, QCity said:

That is not a team-friendly deal, those cap hits from 2026-2028 are averaging over $20M. Just no solid reason to do this now.

Buffalo owes Brown 20 mil over 4 years. Most of the 20 mil will be paid over the next 2.5 years.  They renegotiate, trade, or cut Brown those cap numbers go away.  Its closer to 2 years 30 with 20 guaranteed. The other 2 years will only be seen if he is probowl plus caliber and even then they would renegotiate to get him more guarantee and lower his cap number. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

Contract details are in:

Pretty low guaranteed number. That 2026 cap hit looms large though so hopefully there is some kind of restructure built in to stretch that out in future years.

16 minutes ago, vtnatefootball11 said:

Do we still not know the numbers? 

See above

• Haha (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Mat68 said:

Buffalo owes Brown 20 mil over 4 years. Most of the 20 mil will be paid over the next 2.5 years.  They renegotiate, trade, or cut Brown those cap numbers go away.  Its closer to 2 years 30 with 20 guaranteed. The other 2 years will only be seen if he is probowl plus caliber and even then they would renegotiate to get him more guarantee and lower his cap number. 

I understand that, do you really think it's worth it to gain 1 extra year of control?

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

Cody Ford is his strength and conditioning coach

23 minutes ago, Mat68 said:

21 minutes ago, YattaOkasan said:

Yeah but they are not guaranteed so if hes not performing we can cut him. 

Yeah but even if we cut him after those 2 years (in fact after 3 years, since he was on his rookie contract) after 2026 season, he has a dead cap of $12M. That is NOT an easy or an early out.

Like I said I hope this works out but it doesn't seem like a team friendly deal. There are lot of risks involved. Let's hope it works out this time.

• Agree 1

19 minutes ago, Roundybout said:

Yeesh, how was Cover 1 so wrong?

They/Over the Cap were not wrong. $19M is what's FULLY guaranteed. Ian Rapaport is copy pasting what the agent sent him which is including other guarantees later in the contract, including a $16M option bonus owed in March 2025 and injury guarantees that don't kick in until future years. This is how Spotrac is describing it:

Edited by HappyDays
  • Like (+1) 6
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, No_Matter_What said:

Yeah but even if we cut him after those 2 years (in fact after 3 years, since he was on his rookie contract) after 2026 season, he has a dead cap of $12M. That is NOT an easy or an early out.

Like I said I hope this works out but it doesn't seem like a team friendly deal. There are lot of risks involved. Let's hope it works out this time.

If we cut him before the 2026 season we save 2.8 mil.  what is so tough about that?  Being able to move on after two years (including the final year of his rookie) is pretty easy to me. Being able to get out in 2 years seems super team friendly to me.