Spencer Brown signs 4 year extension

Big Blitz

Usually the agent leaks the numbers if they are large. I doubt the team cares about releasing them during the season. My guess is it’s much more team friendly than we think especially with the comments about Buffalo being the city for him. 

Im guessing 13 mill a year and yes that is team friendly now for a tackle 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, gonzo1105 said:

Usually the agent leaks the numbers if they are large. I doubt the team cares about releasing them during the season. My guess is it’s much more team friendly than we think especially with the comments about Buffalo being the city for him. 

Im guessing 13 mill a year and yes that is team friendly now for a tackle 

13/y would be fantastic. I am hoping for 15, expecting 16-18 and afraid it could be more. But hopefully you are right and it is around 13.

On 9/7/2024 at 3:47 PM, todd said:

If nobody thinks Beane & co don't know Josh Allen's opinion of him, you probably haven't thought about it. I'm sure they didn't ask Allen "Hey, do you like Brown, should we extend him?" but I'm quite sure they took Allen's opinion of him into consideration.

Agree. And I'm 100% for paying the guys that protect Josh

6 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Contract details are in:

Pretty low guaranteed number. That 2026 cap hit looms large though so hopefully there is some kind of restructure built in to stretch that out in future years.

Just came to post it.

It is also on Sportrac:

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/player/_/id/72474/spencer-brown

It is confusing to me since those dead cap numbers in 2026-2028 can't be true, right? If there is prorated option bonus §3,2M per year then dead cap in 2026 has to be north of §10M. Or maybe they are showing  prorated option bonus but not showing its dead cap implications. Hopefully somebody smarter can enlighten me.

EDIT:

Ok https://overthecap.com/player/spencer-brown/9557 has it too and it is exactly what I am  talking about above. 

I am really not sure I like it. $18M per is quite a lot after one year of good production and he basically can't be cut without heavy consequences until 2028.

Let's hope he performs, but I am not a fan (and I like him as a player and yes I want to protect Josh).

Edited by No_Matter_What

That seems like a reasonable deal. I hate paying a RT $18M but at least the guarantees are low. I'm not a cap expert but it seems like we can get out of the deal in a couple if years need be?

Edited by Process
  • Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Process said:

That seems like a reasonable deal. I hate paying a RT $18M but at least the guarantees are low. I'm not a cap expert but it seems like we can get out of the deal in a couple if years need be?

We can't. In 2026 his dead cap is §16,6M and that is without any restructures which are usually necessary. In 2027 it is §12,1M but it will surely go up.

He needs to perform, then it might be a good deal. 

15 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Contract details are in:

Pretty low guaranteed number. That 2026 cap hit looms large though so hopefully there is some kind of restructure built in to stretch that out in future years.

Suggests years 4 and 5 are pretty small fry in terms of guarantee. It's a 4 year extension, money spread over 5 years, and potentially cheap exit after 3. 

• Like (+1) 1

Reasonable guarantees on a contract with pretty substantial overpay on AAV. That’s the only saving grace of this deal. The Bills can get out of it. I thought he was worth $12M AAV on a 4 year deal, but was braced for $15M. He got $18M AAV. Ouch.  

16 minutes ago, No_Matter_What said:

Just came to post it.

It is also on Sportrac:

It is confusing to me since those dead cap numbers in 2026-2028 can't be true, right? If there is prorated option bonus §3,2M per year then dead cap in 2026 has to be north of §10M. Or maybe they are showing  prorated option bonus but not showing its dead cap implications. Hopefully somebody smarter can enlighten me.

Yea the option bonus doesn't formally prorate until March next year. But it will. It's a given. So yes, you need to add $3.2m dead cap to 2028 and $6.4m dead cap to 2027.

EDIT: sorry $6.4m in 2028 and $9.6m in 2027.... didn't spot that $3.2m also goes into a voided year in 2029. 

Edited by GunnerBill

15 minutes ago, No_Matter_What said:

Just came to post it.

It is also on Sportrac:

EDIT:

Ok https://overthecap.com/player/spencer-brown/9557 has it too and it is exactly what I am  talking about above. 

I am really not sure I like it. $18M per is quite a lot after one year of good production and he basically can't be cut without heavy consequences until 2028.

Let's hope he performs, but I am not a fan (and I like him as a player and yes I want to protect Josh).

Spotrac's breakdown is significantly different. They are saying we can get out of it in 2026 with just a $3.8M dead cap hit. OTC says we would have a  $16.6M dead cap hit. I'm going to assume OTC is correct because I doubt Spencer Brown signs Spotrac's version.

Edited by HappyDays

6 minutes ago, No_Matter_What said:

We can't. In 2026 his dead cap is §16,6M and that is without any restructures which are usually necessary. In 2027 it is §12,1M but it will surely go up.

He needs to perform, then it might be a good deal. 

Yea he is here 2025 and 2026. 2027 is the first realistic exit point. 

Just now, HappyDays said:

Spotrac's breakdown is significantly different. They are saying we can get out of it in 2026 with just a $3.8M dead cap hit. OTC says we would have a  $16.6M dead cap hit. I'm going to assume OTC is correct because I doubt Spencer Brown signs  Spotrac's version.

That's cost OTC has already added on the prorated option bonus. But that technically doesn't trigger until March 2025, so Spotrac shows it but isn't counting it. 

• Like (+1) 3

Sounds good to me.  According to those breaking down the game, Brown & Dawkins were dominant Week 1.  

Some of y'all thought we were retaining him for 12-15M!?  Nah.. that was never happening.  The options were let him walk or sign him to a contract like this.   I can understand wanting to let him walk for that money, but it wasn't an "overpay".

People are typically fine throwing big money at a skill position guy, but having a 18M per year weapon doesn't matter much if you're having to run around like Lamar Jackson due to a neglected OL.  

Hopefully we show Miami that it was a mistake to neglect their OL on Thursday Night as well..

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, QB Bills said:

This is an absurd contract for a replacement level player.

Well let's not be crazy here. He is a lot better than replacement level. Especially in the run game we ask him to do certain things that are only possible because of his rare athleticism. I still am not a fan of the deal but I acknowledge he is a good player and would have gotten a similar or more expensive contract on the open market.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Sounds good to me.  According to those breaking down the game, Brown & Dawkins were dominant Week 1.  

Zero pressures given up by our tackles. 1 by Edwards (who was really good in the run game too) 2 by McGovern and 3 from Torrence (who also had 3 penalties - he was even worse on a 2nd look).

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1