Spencer Brown signs 4 year extension

Big Blitz

3 hours ago, GreggTX said:

Sorry, but he is not one of the top RT's in the NFL. His run blocking is passable and his pass protection sucks. He's average at best. Beane made a big mistake signing Lotulelei to a long term contract. This is his 2nd big mistake. I don't like this move at all.

We don't have the numbers yet to make that statement. Yes, Star was a terrible contract but Miller, Knox, Bass & Diggs could arguably be worse for the Bills.

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, YattaOkasan said:

If all you knew last year was that Oliver got extended would it be 50/50?  I agree the numbers for Oliver are great. Optimistic they are good for brown too

Yes. Ed was a stud even before the sack numbers. When you are winning pass rush reps and getting pressures at the rate he was in 2021 and 2022 and the sacks are just a matter of time. He got the numbers in 2023 and so he got his flowers but he has been consistently excellent for 3 seasons. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 4

I can't believe some folks are still relying on the formula of letting players walk in hopes of comp picks when we literally just saw that scenario not play out in our favor (seeing as though nobody has definitive knowledge of how comp picks are distributed)

I also can't believe that folks have this many gripes about retaining an "above average" OL (whom could very much still improve) that protects our best QB ever in hopes of the above mentioned scenario hypothetically playing out.

• Like (+1) 4

2 minutes ago, Bills aPHILLYate said:

I can't believe some folks are still relying on the formula of letting players walk in hopes of comp picks when we literally just saw that scenario not play out in our favor (seeing as though nobody has definitive knowledge of how comp picks are distributed)

I also can't believe that folks have this many gripes about retaining an "above average" OL (whom could very much still improve) that protects our best QB ever in hopes of the above mentioned scenario hypothetically playing out.

We payed a lot of average players and didn't win a SB so I'm not sure why it's that confusing we are worried about paying a guy that has injury history early on, and is not consistently considered really good.

Look at the contracts to von, bass, and the rotation line situations in the past. Diggs.

People want to get over the hump and having money in average or injured players is not how you do it. People have a right to both sides of the discourse here.

• Like (+1) 3

4 minutes ago, Sharky7337 said:

We payed a lot of average players and didn't win a SB so I'm not sure why it's that confusing we are worried about paying a guy that has injury history early on, and is not consistently considered really good.

Look at the contracts to von, bass, and the rotation line situations in the past. Diggs.

People want to get over the hump and having money in average or injured players is not how you do it. People have a right to both sides of the discourse here.

They are rating him above average and probably think he is still ascending. The injury history is a concern.

Personally, I think investment in the oline is normally one of the sounder strategies. If they are right, but wait until there is enough body of work to confirm it so that it would be an easy consensus, the price tag goes way up. 

Folks who are uncertain can always point to failed gambles, but I don't think a GM can avoid projecting and gambling. It's sunk cost now, so let's hope Beane got this one right.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Bills aPHILLYate said:

I can't believe some folks are still relying on the formula of letting players walk in hopes of comp picks when we literally just saw that scenario not play out in our favor 

Nobody is saying this. 

What many (including myself) are saying it may have been more prudent to wait another year to see if he can 1) replicate last year's season and 2) stay healthy. His contract wasn't expiring this weekend. 

As I said earlier, the only way this makes sense is if they got an extremely team-friendly deal. We'll see.

Edited by QCity
  • Thank you (+1) 2

35 minutes ago, Sharky7337 said:

Fair. My point speaks more specifically to the OL position and the ones who hope to bypass the current situation and hope for either a comp pick (which we assume is relative to performance in some manner) or just want to move onto another roll of the dice in the form of another promising young player.

We now have some proof of concept with Brown (when healthy) which is probably the justification as to why they stuck with him as a promising young player to begin with.

A comp pick could very likely turn into another Cody Ford scenario 

I'm not saying that folks can't see it from a different perspective though. 

I also get that some moves made could be considered premature but when it comes to the OL I like continuity as much as possible especially with the caliber of QB we have.

• Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, QCity said:

Nobody is saying this. 

What many (including myself) are saying it may have been more prudent to wait another year to see if he can 1) replicate last year's season and 2) stay healthy. His contract wasn't expiring this weekend. 

As I said earlier, they only was this makes sense is if they got an extremely team-friendly deal. We'll see.

You might not be saying that, but I absolutely read in here that some folks were hoping to let him (and Dawkins) go.

However I don't think your stance is invalid either. 

We do have some history of deals looking bad almost immediately afterwards; when they potentially had more time to assess the scenario. 

I think some were done as all in moves (which usually come with some measure of risk) and some were premature (which speaks to your stance).

I don't know the details of the contract but I don't think it's the most questionable move either. 

Hopefully we got ahead of the market in that area and when we have way more cap next year we can make a splash move or 2 to upgrade the weapons for Josh

14 hours ago, Rocky Landing said:

Check your history. In 2018, the Bills' O-line finished in the bottom three. In 2019, they finished 21st, and in 2020, they finished 10th. They dipped in '21, but last season they finished 8th. If you think that the only thing Beane did to build a perennial division champion team was to add Diggs, and Davis, I'll say you are dead wrong.

I'm curious, whose rankings are those?

If nobody thinks Beane & co don't know Josh Allen's opinion of him, you probably haven't thought about it. I'm sure they didn't ask Allen "Hey, do you like Brown, should we extend him?" but I'm quite sure they took Allen's opinion of him into consideration.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Turk71 said:

I'm curious, whose rankings are those?

End of year PFF, I think

EDIT: Also worth noting that the rankings for some of those years were low as a result of the poor run game, when we were a pure spread offense.

Edited by Rocky Landing

5 hours ago, Dr. Who said:

They are rating him above average and probably think he is still ascending. The injury history is a concern.

Personally, I think investment in the oline is normally one of the sounder strategies. If they are right, but wait until there is enough body of work to confirm it so that it would be an easy consensus, the price tag goes way up. 

Folks who are uncertain can always point to failed gambles, but I don't think a GM can avoid projecting and gambling. It's sunk cost now, so let's hope Beane got this one right.

See the problem on gambling on contracts in the NFL is that if the player bombs you are stuck with a bad cap hit. And if he outperforms his low cap hit then the player holds out and asks for more money. It’s a lose lose for GM’s. 

Ideally you wait until the player performs at a high level for at least two years before backing up the Brinks truck.

Again not knowing the amount of money he got I still wish Beane had waited one more year 

• Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

I don't know whether this contract is a good move or not for multiple reasons:  price, is he good enough, etc.  Beane knows more about it than we do, and we will just have to wait and see. 

However, I wanted to post something about this idea that letting Brown walk is a good idea, because some other team will sign him and the Bills will get a comp pick.  That just doesn't make sense.   Let him walk, and the Bills have a hole at right tackle.  If the Bills fill the hole with the comp pick, they have a rookie playing right tackle, and like Brown, even if the Bills draft the right guy, it will take two to three years to get him up to speed.  Assuming the guy they get succeeds, three or four years from now the Bills will be in the same situation.  All that means is the Bills repeatedly will be plugging the hole.   

That's no team building strategy.   Essentially what that system would mean is that you have maybe 15 starting positions where you're constantly training players, cutting them, drafting more, training them, cutting them.  Sonner or later, for most of your roster, you have to invest in players.   I think Knox is a good example.  Was Knox great as his first deal was ending?  No.  But you simply can't keep releasing players at the end of their first contracts.   

What are you going to do with Torrence  He may be a high=priced free agent in a few years?   Gonna release him?   Yes, then you have a hole at right guard.  Sign him?   Some will say yes, because he's a keeper.  Okay, but what if you get lucky in the draft and you five Torrence-level offensive linemen.   You can't sign them all, or you will destroy your cap situation.  Sign some of them and let others walk?  Okay, then you have maybe three stud on your offensive line and two rookies.   That isn't a formula for repeated success. 

You simply have to pay the price to keep some of your solid players, guys who meet your needs and guys you can build with.  It isn't simple, and it isn't easy, but you can't afford to keep letting your solid contributors walk. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2