Spencer Brown signs 4 year extension

Big Blitz

1 hour ago, Coach Tuesday said:

I am fine even if it's a slight overpay.  This is the going rate for ascending young RTs and I am biased in favor of keeping Allen as healthy as possible because watching him play every week is one of the greatest joys of my life.  Period.

I’m with you.  I’d rather it be wasted there than on, say, the nine snaps that Mike Williams got last night at $10m/year. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, YattaOkasan said:

If we cut him before the 2026 season we save 2.8 mil.  what is so tough about that?  Being able to move on after two years (including the final year of his rookie) is pretty easy to me. Being able to get out in 2 years seems super team friendly to me.

My expectation is in 2 years he will be underpaid.  This is a fair contract.

Not directed at YattaOkasan but why the negativity?

We locked up a good player who is getting better. His back issues appear to be behind him.

I have faith that the Bills did their due diligence on ability, long term team cap planning, and health wise to extend him.

Beane is thorough. This isnt the reactionary clown car of front offices of the past.

Some people would prefer we let him go so they can B word about some washed up l'aeal (sp) Collins or rookie we plug in to replace him.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

At first glance, he is gone after 2025 with a $4M dead cap hit. Dont see how you pay your RT $20M per unless he becomes dominant. It is hard to fully grasp how BUF feels about Brown. Each of the past few years they have brought in competition or back up plans for him at the costing the team some decent funds. 

Edited by ngbills

6 minutes ago, Andrew Son said:

Good point.  Josh only had 10 seconds on that one.

No doubt he was the primary cause there, as I already said earlier in the thread, but to completely discount the fact the brown ran into Josh's running lane, maybe even clipped him, and his man recovered a fumble is a bit much to sweep under the rug.

• Eyeroll 2

3 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

No doubt he was the primary cause there, as I already said earlier in the thread, but to completely discount the fact the brown ran into Josh's running lane, maybe even clipped him, and his man recovered a fumble is a bit much to sweep under the rug.

I think you have a certain amount of time to win the pass rush (ESPN uses 2.5 seconds).  Since Browns pass blocking held up longer than that its not a pass rush win.  On the flip side Torrence would get dinged for allowing the rusher in super quick on the 3rd and long that went to Cook even though Josh escaped.  

9 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

From the article. 

"Our pass rush win rate metric tells us how often a pass rusher is able to beat his block within 2.5 seconds. Likewise, our pass block win rate metric conveys the rate linemen can sustain their blocks for 2.5 seconds or longer."

• Like (+1) 1

Spencer Brown was a manimal on Sunday as was Dawkins.  Our tackles were mauling people out there.

It’s only week 1, but his new deal versus his level of play Sunday is what I would bet will look like a bargain here pretty quick if this continues.  

29 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

Brown was literally one of the best players on the field Sunday.  Are you trying to say different?

And what happened to your “it’s just one play” defense of Diggs drop against KC?  You want to disregard that Brown was mauling people all game because of what feels like a negative bias recount of one play?  

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

13 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Spencer Brown was a manimal on Sunday as was Dawkins.  Our tackles were mauling people out there.

It’s only week 1, but his new deal versus his level of play Sunday is what I would bet will look like a bargain here pretty quick if this continues.  

Brown was literally one of the best players on the field Sunday.  Are you trying to say different?

And what happened to your “it’s just one play” defense of Diggs drop against KC?  You want to disregard that Brown was mauling people all game because of what feels like a negative bias recount of one play?  

Yikes. I thought he did his job and looked solid, but I would never have said he was "one of the best players on the field". It's true he had his side locked down most of the game, but he wasn't challenged at all. He spent most of the day fending off a 5th round rookie and a 7th year journeyman with 14 career sacks.  I definitely didn't see anything that would classify him as a "manimal". He wasn't out there blowing people off the line or running them over. He just did his job.

• Disagree 2

It’s all about the deal structure, folks.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/player/_/id/72474/spencer-brown

He’s going to get paid $8M next year with a big dead cap figure, then in 2026 when the big years kick in, we can cut him with only $3.8M dead cap charge.

Thats huge. Pay him if he’s worth it at that point, cut him if he’s not. Beautifully written contract.

Edited by Rigotz
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Disagree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

3 hours ago, HappyDays said:

They/Over the Cap were not wrong. $19M is what's FULLY guaranteed. Ian Rapaport is copy pasting what the agent sent him which is including other guarantees later in the contract, including a $16M option bonus owed in March 2025 and injury guarantees that don't kick in until future years. This is how Spotrac is describing it:

Only 19.8m guaranteed?  Absolute steal.

2 hours ago, Virgil said:

Holy crap, I was only joking and pretty much nailed it 😛

Just need to work on the guarantee part.  19m vs. 46m is huge.

41 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Dawkins flat out ran over a dude on Shakir's TD

• Agree 1

18 minutes ago, Rigotz said:

He’s going to get paid $8M next year with a big dead cap figure, then in 2026 when the big years kick in, we can cut him with only $3.8M dead cap charge.

That's not exactly true, Spotrac is not accounting for his option bonuses. According to OTC he will have a $16.6M dead cap charge if we cut him in 2026. Presumably we have some kind of built-in option or restructure to massage that year's $19.5M cap hit down though, I'd be surprised if that cap charge actually ever shows up on the books.

• Like (+1) 2

32 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

Yikes. I thought he did his job and looked solid, but I would never have said he was "one of the best players on the field". It's true he had his side locked down most of the game, but he wasn't challenged at all. He spent most of the day fending off a 5th round rookie and a 7th year journeyman with 14 career sacks.  I definitely didn't see anything that would classify him as a "manimal". He wasn't out there blowing people off the line or running them over. He just did his job.

All I can judge him on is how he did with the guys lined up across from him.  I don't care who they were, he had an excellent game.  If you want to diminish that because you feel the competition was sub-par, well fine.  I will admit, "one of the best players on the field" may have been a bit of an overstatement, so I will give you that and that was more of a reaction to seeing you kind of downplay is outing.  I should have said one of the best OL on the field as so many other players also had great games.  

But if this is what we get every week from him I will be thrilled.  

12 minutes ago, Bray Wyatt said:

Dawkins flat out ran over a dude on Shakir's TD

It was awesome

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BullBuchanan said:

Why can't you just be happy once in a while?

• Eyeroll 1
  • Dislike 1

Bit of smoke and mirrors here… the 2025 $16m option bonus is not guaranteed “at signing”, but to be prevented from getting this , he will need to be cut at the end of this season leaving a dead cap of $17.5m …as that is impractical it is very likely he will end up being paid  the option bonus …

He will be here through the end of 2026 at the earliest most likely …then he can be paid the last two years of the deal if his form permits it ..

The contract is ok IMO…all the OL is getting paid these days,  not just the LT..

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

56 minutes ago, Rigotz said:

It’s all about the deal structure, folks.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/player/_/id/72474/spencer-brown

Thats huge. Pay him if he’s worth it at that point, cut him if he’s not. Beautifully written contract.

Problem is that this is not true, like at all. Check some posts before you, or go to overthecap. His dead cap in 2026 will be $16.6M, not $3.8M. And that is before inevitable restructures. I'd say he is not cuttable next 4 years (or is cuttable similar to how Diggs was).

23 minutes ago, No_Matter_What said:

Problem is that this is not true, like at all. Check some posts before you, or go to overthecap. His dead cap in 2026 will be $16.6M, not $3.8M. And that is before inevitable restructures. I'd say he is not cuttable next 4 years (or is cuttable similar to how Diggs was).

I dont know that hes a great restructure candidate.  I think thats the cost they pay to have flexibility in the contract.  His salary isnt greater than 10 mil until 2027.  With a cap hit of 19 mil itll be interesting cause both cutting him and restructure could be on the table.