Spencer Brown signs 4 year extension

Big Blitz

5 hours ago, QCity said:

They're going to extend him 10s of millions of dollars to lower his $3.5M cap hit this year? Nah that doesn't jibe.

Agreed, this is a move aimed mostly at the long term. May lower his cap this year fractionally, but not significantly.

Past few days they did a few deals to free up money. This is why.

5 hours ago, DJB said:

Not a fan of this at all despite not knowing the numbers. 

This guy has had ONE decent season. He was pure trash and also constantly injured before that . I think he’s a mid RT and was really hoping to see him perform at a high level another year before investing . 

That's a really pessimistic look at how he's been. "Trash" is nonsense. 

Basically, when healthy he's been good. His first year he was really looking good at times, particularly for a rookie and particularly late in the season when he started to get used to the speed in the NFL. He's trended up and is continuing to do so.

No guarantee this works, of course, but IMO smart getting him early for a discount.

We got some bookends.

Edited by Thurman#1

4 minutes ago, BuffaloBillsGospel2014 said:

You sign your top OL and DL so I'm more than good with this. It's probably going to be a higher price tag than people would like but I like locking up the lines. We were so inept  there for so long it's nice to have continuity finally.

^^Someone with a memory!^^

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

He would’ve gotten a MASSIVE contract on the open market.  Not saying this was the best allocation of resources (let’s see the ultimate numbers) but right tackles have been getting paid recently and he would’ve been highly coveted.

Rousseau next.

If he has another good year, yes, he would. If he regresses to 2021/2022 form then I don't think so. As I said it's a gamble. It might work out for them. Let's hope it does.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Sorry, but he is not one of the top RT's in the NFL. His run blocking is passable and his pass protection sucks. He's average at best. Beane made a big mistake signing Lotulelei to a long term contract. This is his 2nd big mistake. I don't like this move at all.

Edited by GreggTX
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 2

9 hours ago, BullBuchanan said:

If we had Laremy Tunsil, who is #2 or Ronnie Stanley, who is #15 does that have a meaningful impact of our Super Bowl chances? I argue no. 

That's a flawed comparison. Stanley is down there because he has been hurt. If he had stayed healthy the past couple of seasons he'd have signed another big deal by now. 

Looking at the list does Tunsil (#2) over Cam Robinson (#10), Grant Bolles (#11) or Jonah Williams (#13) have a meaningful impact on your Superbowl chances? Yes. Yes it does. You are just talking a totally different tier of player at one of the most important positions on the field. Is that worth the extra c.$8m AAV that the difference between those tiers is? I 100% believe it is. 

Now I don't think Spencer Brown has yet proved he is anything close to an elite Right Tackle (and I agree paying right tackles is a less impactful decision in the first place unless your QB is a lefty). Even if he recreates his 2023 season in 2024 he is still the equivalent of the Bolles / Robinson tier for right siders. I still don't see numbers anywhere even semi reputable yet for this contract but if they are top of market as you claimed earlier then for the deal to work out Brown has to keep ascending. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

7 hours ago, QCity said:

They're going to extend him 10s of millions of dollars to lower his $3.5M cap hit this year? Nah that doesn't jibe.

They need more money this year so I bet they reduced his salary this year to the minimum and gave it as bonus to spread over the deal.  That should not have been a reason to do the deal but if you are doing it you can save a little on th cap this year which they need.  

Edited by Matt_In_NH

5 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

These days you can't get a decent one for less than that.

Price of doing business lately.

I like the move, myself.

I'm sure they got a serious discount for signing him this early.

Not at all, they've had pretty good pass protection from early on.

I hear ya.  I like the guy, but one season of good play from a guy with a history of back injuries worries me.  I thought he was good last season, but he got whooped on plenty and if it wasn’t for 17 being 17, he’d have been on the hook for a decent amount of sacks imo.  

after sleeping in it- I’ll be ok with it if 15M and under…..but I still think it’ll be 17-19, and that, I’m not cool with.  Hopefully he proves me wrong

• Agree 1

https://www.si.com/nfl/2017/05/31/nfl-left-tackles-michael-lewis-blindside-right-tackles-left-defensive-ends#:~:text=Starting right tackles%2C on average%2C make barely half,offense’s right side%2C but so are the turnover-creators.

An interesting article about right tackles being as valuable as left tackles.  I'm a believer in building from the line out, so to me this deal works.  

• Like (+1) 5

7 hours ago, MikePJ76 said:

The reaction in here to this smart signing is identical to the reaction to Ed Oliver getting an extension last year.  

most complaining did not even know he was a 3 tech tackle.  

He is????

• Haha (+1) 2

I like the move, but there is definite risk due to injury. 

He has gotten better every year and he was excellent in the playoffs, only giving up one pressure and zero sacks on nearly 80 pass plays.  That is elite numbers against playoff teams. 

7 hours ago, MikePJ76 said:

The reaction in here to this smart signing is identical to the reaction to Ed Oliver getting an extension last year.  

most complaining did not even know he was a 3 tech tackle.  

Not from me. I think the Ed Oliver extension was a slam dunk. This is more of a 50/50 one for me (though let's see the figures before I take a final view). I see a route for this to be a successful move. But it isn't a given. 

I’m not sure what people are looking for. You protect your franchise QB. You lock in your offensive linemen and develop continuity. You simply can’t have moving parts all over the offensive side of the ball. Beane appears to be of the mindset that RB and WR are the positions where you can have flexibility from year to year. We’ll all find out if he’s right. 

• Agree 1

29 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Not from me. I think the Ed Oliver extension was a slam dunk. This is more of a 50/50 one for me (though let's see the figures before I take a final view). I see a route for this to be a successful move. But it isn't a given. 

If all you knew last year was that Oliver got extended would it be 50/50?  I agree the numbers for Oliver are great. Optimistic they are good for brown too

2 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

https://www.si.com/nfl/2017/05/31/nfl-left-tackles-michael-lewis-blindside-right-tackles-left-defensive-ends#:~:text=Starting right tackles%2C on average%2C make barely half,offense’s right side%2C but so are the turnover-creators.

An interesting article about right tackles being as valuable as left tackles.  I'm a believer in building from the line out, so to me this deal works.  

Do we know what the deal even is?

8 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

That's a really pessimistic look at how he's been. "Trash" is nonsense. 

Basically, when healthy he's been good. His first year he was really looking good at times, particularly for a rookie and particularly late in the season when he started to get used to the speed in the NFL. He's trended up and is continuing to do so.

No guarantee this works, of course, but IMO smart getting him early for a discount.

We got some bookends.

I think the back surgery and subsequent recovery also held back his development more than a lot of people realize. The team knows where he stands. 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 1