Spencer Brown signs 4 year extension

Big Blitz

1 minute ago, QCity said:

Unless they got an extremely team-friendly deal, I just don't see the need to do this right now.

It acts as a restructure and lowers his cap hit this year. There has been a lot of re-signings this week across the league and I think this is why.

1 minute ago, Low Positive said:

It acts as a restructure and lowers his cap hit this year. There has been a lot of re-signings this week across the league and I think this is why.

He was on a 3rd round pick rookie deal, how much lower could his cap hit go? 

• Like (+1) 1

I don’t think he’s earned a huge extension yet, was hoping he played his way into one this year. Now I hope he out performs the contract. 

This really could be another awful extension for beane. 

Edited by Shortchaz
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, BullBuchanan said:

I think the point that matters is that investment is a major opportunity cost. Let's say that happens and he's the very best RT in the league. If Coleman and Shakir both break out and you have to let one go so you can pay Spencer Brown, was it worth it? The amount of money you can spend is fixed. You have to choose what players you give veteran contracts to, and which you replace with rookies.

Personally, I'm saving most of my money for good to elite players at critical positions, spending most of the rest on quality players on the defensive front 7 and oline and then I'm rotating in a bunch of younger cheaper guys as depth every year. While offensive line play as a whole is very important, I don't see RT as a critically important part of that. Dion Dawkins is the 6th highest paid LT in the league. If we had Laremy Tunsil, who is #2 or Ronnie Stanley, who is #15 does that have a meaningful impact of our Super Bowl chances? I argue no. Clearly it's important to have competent play, but do I want to pay the extra for top dollar? No way - and LT is far more important than RT.

Personally spending 40-50 million on 5 guys on the online to me is a better investment than paying a single elite WR 35 million a year. But I know everyone has different team building philosophies. 

Josh Allen threw for 400-4500 yards a year when he had an elite high paid WR in Diggs. This year I expect he will still throw for the same amount of yards it will just be split amongst more guys. If we had Jefferson and chase on the team I don’t think Josh Allen suddenly stars throwing for 5000 yards I think it ends up like the dolphins where hill and waddle get all the catches and yards and no one else gets any. 

To me having a top online and dline with numerous solid consistent guys at the playmaker position will get us farther than a couple of elite wr

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 4

1 hour ago, Low Positive said:

They're going to extend him 10s of millions of dollars to lower his $3.5M cap hit this year? Nah that doesn't jibe.

• Like (+1) 2

Not a fan of this at all despite not knowing the numbers. 

This guy has had ONE decent season. He was pure trash and also constantly injured before that . I think he’s a mid RT and was really hoping to see him perform at a high level another year before investing . 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, DJB said:

Not a fan of this at all despite not knowing the numbers. 

This guy has had ONE decent season. He was pure trash and also constantly injured before that . I think he’s a mid RT and was really hoping to see him perform at a high level another year before investing . 

I don't understand this extension. I hope he earns it, but this is odd. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Rocky Landing said:

This bears repeating: Does anyone else remember how bad our O-line was in 2018?

Followup question: Does anyone think we would have dominated our division, and gone as far in the five years since if we hadn't addressed the O-line?

Lol..they dominated because they got Diggs and drafted Davis.

The OL was a liability every year except last year

• Agree 2

18 minutes ago, MikePJ76 said:

The reaction in here to this smart signing is identical to the reaction to Ed Oliver getting an extension last year.  

most complaining did not even know he was a 3 tech tackle.  

It's fair to question the re-signing IF it's at the AAV and guaranteed numbers most are fearing. Brown has not put consistent tape out there minus one season. Granted, that one season was last year, and he's ostensibly healthy now and thriving. A physical SPECIMEN at RT entering his prime (best case). Some trouble with smallish speed rushers, sure. But the trend line for Brown is definitely up and to the right. 

I tend to trust the O-Line moves made under a well-established and thriving Beach Chairs regime. Kromer is good at what he does, and I get the sense he is being listened to by the Bills brass. Let's hope his plan for LG and OC works out as well as the plan has at the other 3 positions. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Check your history. In 2018, the Bills' O-line finished in the bottom three. In 2019, they finished 21st, and in 2020, they finished 10th. They dipped in '21, but last season they finished 8th. If you think that the only thing Beane did to build a perennial division champion team was to add Diggs, and Davis, I'll say you are dead wrong.

• Thank you (+1) 1

9 hours ago, NewEra said:

If it’s over 12M a year I’m gonna be bummed.  Have a feeling it’s way more that 12M a year.  Right tackles….not a fan of paying them big bucks

These days you can't get a decent one for less than that.

Price of doing business lately.

I like the move, myself.

I'm sure they got a serious discount for signing him this early.

1 hour ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Not at all, they've had pretty good pass protection from early on.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 1