Spencer Brown signs 4 year extension

Big Blitz

1 minute ago, Turk71 said:

Ahem

Diggs' unnecessary early extension was historically bad....biggest non qb dead cap in league history that gave the Bills 31 million less to spend this year, enough to possibly derail their chances this year. Amazing how many just pretend that didn't happen.

Had Diggs not imploded personally his extension at age 29 when WR’s tend to play at or near prime level until around 33/34 wasn’t that bad. 

You can argue investing in a volitale personality like Diggs in 2022 was not the best idea but the on field aspect was solid. Also while the Bills are eating a lot of dead cap this year the Bills did get a 2nd round pick for Diggs so even that extension returned some value 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Turk71 said:

Ahem

Diggs' unnecessary early extension was historically bad....biggest non qb dead cap in league history that gave the Bills 31 million less to spend this year, enough to possibly derail their chances this year. Amazing how many just pretend that didn't happen.

The contract wasn't the issue. Trading him was. No dead cap if he is still on the team and he costs over $3M less this year. 

Hope one day we get the full story 

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

The contract wasn't the issue. Trading him was. No dead cap if he is still on the team and he costs over $3M less this year. 

Hope one day we get the full story 

Diggs is a petulant dick.

That’s the whole story.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Surprised people haven't talked about how he's been playing hurt the last couple years.  Maybe they've seen him fully healthy now and are confident he can be dominant going forward.  

I’m on the fence here. I assume the deal is in the 14-15 mill a season range which is actually a bargain for ascending tackles if you can believe that. Whether you think Brown is worth it is another point entirely. 

I agree with the point that with Grable and RVD looking like they’re ready to step in in a year or two. I assume Brown is working under his rookie contract for this year then the big money will be in the last two years. 

Dawkins signed an extension but has an out that happens to line up two years from now. That means by the time Browns money kicks in, Dawkins could be coming off the books for either Grable, RVD or a rookie pick. 

From a OL money management perspective it makes sense that you’ll likely only be playing one OT big money moving forward still in the future but will Brown keep ascending to be a dominant RT or will he plateau is the question. 

I also don’t think this affects us getting  WRs in the future. All our WRs are under cheap contracts and I full expect, especially with locking up Brown, that one of our top 3 picks will be used on a pass catcher next year

I’m on the fence here. I assume the deal is in the 14-15 mill a season range which is actually a bargain for ascending tackles if you can believe that. Whether you think Brown is worth it is another point entirely. 

I agree with the point that with Grable and RVD looking like they’re ready to step in in a year or two. I assume Brown is working under his rookie contract for this year then the big money will be in the last two years. 

Dawkins signed an extension but has an out that happens to line up two years from now. That means by the time Browns money kicks in, Dawkins could be coming off the books for either Grable, RVD or a rookie pick. 

From a OL money management perspective it makes sense that you’ll likely only be playing one OT big money moving forward still in the future but will Brown keep ascending to be a dominant RT or will he plateau is the question. 

I also don’t think this affects us getting  WRs in the future. All our WRs are under cheap contracts and I full expect, especially with locking up Brown, that one of our top 3 picks will be used on a pass catcher next year

2 hours ago, hondo in seattle said:

North of 15M would make me frown.  

It depends, too, how much is guaranteed and how easily we can get out of the contract.  I'm not a huge Brown fan.  I want to keep him as long as he's the best RT we have but I hope we find a better one and send Brown and his newer/bigger contract away when we do.  

Better yet, Brown brings his game to a new level and proves me wrong.  

Got it, that 15 mil number was the first one that popped in my head. I actually loved the pick at the time, have loved that they stayed the course with him through some up and down play and injuries, and were rewarded with a nice season last year.

• Like (+1) 2

52 minutes ago, khlax3 said:

Brown is one of the most athletic tackles in the league and still only 26 years old. I get he isn’t a star WR or DL but he is young and still developing and can be a top RT in the NFL. 

A lot of people also keep commenting on the young pipeline of OL. I am excited for those players as well but none of them have started an NFL game. To just say we would replace Brown with one of them is a bit of a stretch and exactly what people are crying about this year and that we filled out WR and Safety group with a bunch of unproven guys. 

We now have the opportunity to keep our entire starting OL and depth together for the next next 2-3 years. We have a ton of picks available next year and without having to invest picks in the OL you can use them to get impact playmakers 

I think the point that matters is that investment is a major opportunity cost. Let's say that happens and he's the very best RT in the league. If Coleman and Shakir both break out and you have to let one go so you can pay Spencer Brown, was it worth it? The amount of money you can spend is fixed. You have to choose what players you give veteran contracts to, and which you replace with rookies.

Personally, I'm saving most of my money for good to elite players at critical positions, spending most of the rest on quality players on the defensive front 7 and oline and then I'm rotating in a bunch of younger cheaper guys as depth every year. While offensive line play as a whole is very important, I don't see RT as a critically important part of that. Dion Dawkins is the 6th highest paid LT in the league. If we had Laremy Tunsil, who is #2 or Ronnie Stanley, who is #15 does that have a meaningful impact of our Super Bowl chances? I argue no. Clearly it's important to have competent play, but do I want to pay the extra for top dollar? No way - and LT is far more important than RT.

13 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

The amount of money you can spend is fixed. You have to choose what players you give veteran contracts to, and which you replace with rookies.

The salary cap increased by an average of $12M from 2013 to 2020… dipped in 2021 because of COVID and continued its ascent since then. So the amount of money you can spend is fixed? 

3 minutes ago, Chaos said:

Once an RT hits the 12.0 million mark, does the NFL allow that player to line up in the backfield and false start on every play.  Asking for my friend Jawaan. 

Nope, that is reserved for RTs making $20M per year.