Spencer Brown signs 4 year extension

Big Blitz

I'm a little surprised this happened now, but the oline now and in the future is looking really bright. We have good starters and a good pipeline of younger guys developing. It is awesome to not need to worry about oline, at least significantly, for the next few years at least. There are not many teams in the NFL who can say that. There are some TRASH olines out there.

• Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Brown's price would have gone up a bunch if he had a good season with no extension.  Yes, there is some risk involved but I believe this is a solid move.  Beane wants to use his premium picks on WR and DE imo

• Agree 4

I love this move. He's become a great RT. For all the talk of his injury history, he's only missed three games since starting in '21, and there doesn't appear to be any lingering issues from his late-season injury vs. the Chiefs. He's the best RT we've had since, who... Jordan Mills...??? We have one of the better RTs in the league now, and he's 26. And going forward, one would imagine that Brown will be a starter longer than Dawkins. If Grable is all that (and he very well might be), then eventually we end up with him at LT. 

As far as his contract is concerned, if it's top end money, it's better Beane signed him now, rather than later (just like when he extended Josh Allen, who is now the seventh highest paid QB in total value, and not even in the top ten for this season). Since this is a 2025 extension, I assume it has no affect on this year's cap. Salaries only go up each season-- great we locked him down now. 

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Roundybout said:

Wait is this the guy that posts here 

Yes, he is the troll that posts here.

The year Josh got the extension, this troll said Beane signed him too soon and would regret it.

Edited by Scott7975
  • Haha (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, NewEra said:

If it’s over 12M a year I’m gonna be bummed.  Have a feeling it’s way more that 12M a year.  Right tackles….not a fan of paying them big bucks

Well, some linemen are getting paid $20M plus these days. If it’s for $12M-$14.5M I can’t complain. That will be middle of the road money in another year or two.

4 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

He would’ve gotten a MASSIVE contract on the open market.  Not saying this was the best allocation of resources (let’s see the ultimate numbers) but right tackles have been getting paid recently and he would’ve been highly coveted.

Rousseau next.

Yeah he would. Lots of teams with bad olines would shell out money for him.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Alphadawg7 said:

No disrespect, but nothing about Beane remotely suggests to me he makes moves like this to create the perception of a "win" in a draft class.  He has proven over and over again he is 100% committed to making what he feels is the right moves for the Bills and never made a move that seemed to be about himself.  So I have to respectfully disagree with that statement.  

Totally agree. When has Beane ever done anything like that? That's a strange comment for me

• Agree 1

56 minutes ago, julian said:

I can agree with that, where’s your line in the sand.. what’s the number?

lol… seeing Filthy Beast take, I’m now convinced we hit a home run 

North of 15M would make me frown.  

It depends, too, how much is guaranteed and how easily we can get out of the contract.  I'm not a huge Brown fan.  I want to keep him as long as he's the best RT we have but I hope we find a better one and send Brown and his newer/bigger contract away when we do.  

Better yet, Brown brings his game to a new level and proves me wrong.  

• Like (+1) 1

I’m certainly not opposed to the signing, but I’m a little surprised they didn’t wait a while on this.  If Van Demark and/or Grable continue to develop, you could have considered letting Brown walk, save the $, and take the comp pick.

They must be confident his level of play is going to continue to rise, because at his best he's been an average RT. I'm not trying to discount his insane ceiling, but it doesn't feel like a priority extension unless he seriously proves it this season.  

• Agree 1