Spencer Brown signs 4 year extension

Big Blitz

Hmm. I'd have favoured letting him play it out personally. He had a good year last year and it is conceivable he is not yet at his ceiling given his physical potential and the relatively low level of college football he played at (so not exposed to top coaching etc). But he has had one good season, a history of back issues (which at his height is a concern), a shoulder surgery AND their 6th round rookie tackle looked really good in pre-season giving you at least a legitimate contender for the job if Brown ends up walking next year. 

The Bills could end up looking smart here if he keeps ascending. But they could look like dummies too. Hopefully Spencer proves them right.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 5

1 hour ago, WMDman said:

I like it, he had a hell of a season last year. Could love it depending on the numbers

He took a big step forward last season. I've been predicting a breakout year for him. He one of the most athletic freaks in the entire NFL, and he's still pretty new to football.

Seems like Beane and the staff also think Brown is going to be too expensive next off-season. This extension is risky, but the reward could be an all-pro RT. Brown has all the tools.

• Agree 2

1 minute ago, somnus00 said:

He took a big step forward last season. I've been predicting a breakout year for him. He one of the most athletic freaks in the entire NFL, and he's still pretty new to football.

Seems like Beane and the staff also think Brown is going to be too expensive next off-season. This extension is risky, but the reward could be an all-pro RT. Brown has all the tools.

Rousseau is another one.  If he can avoid any random foot/ankle injuries, he may be in line top end EDGE money. 

• Agree 1

17 minutes ago, Logic said:

While I understand the hesitance of those that don't love this move, I have to disagree with the sentiment that paying a good right tackle to stick around isn't good business. I think tackle is right up there with WR, CB, and EDGE in terms of positional importance. 

Protecting one's franchise QB is a priority of the highest order. Lest Bills fans forget, we wandered in the RT wilderness for many years before Spencer Brown came along. We may like young prospects like Grable and VanDemark, but none of them has yet proven to be on the level of Spencer Brown. 

Having to go into next year with a big question mark at right tackle -- to add to our likely question marks at WR and S -- does not seem ideal. 

Beane tends to like to do deals a bit early. Sometimes, they pay off -- Ed Oliver and Josh Allen's contracts now looks like steals. Sometimes, they don't -- see Tyler Bass and Dawson Knox. With Spencer Brown, the arrow of improvement still seems to be pointed upward, and they're banking on him being a top 5-10 RT for the next few years. Time will tell if they're right or wrong, but I certainly can't blame Beane for placing a high priority on the protection of Josh Allen.

I don't think either one of those things are true. They both got top money at the time. Every year contracts go up so previous ones move down in total value. Oliver was most definitely an overpay as he's just now starting to be valued appropriately compared to his peers imo. There aren't a lot of players making more than him that he's clearly better than. Allen was made the second highest paid player of all time with the most amount of guarantees of all-time. Time passing doesn't make it a better deal, as the same thing will happen to guys that sign bigger deals this year.

• Disagree 4
  • Dislike 1

A bit risky as Spencer has been hurt a lot. Will wait for the contract to see the price and how tied to him this makes us in the future. Protecting Josh and giving him weapons is all I care about, so without all the context right now I like it.

Just now, BuffaloRebound said:

That usually means it’s team friendly since the agents are the ones who release contract numbers.  

True but the tweet quoted who the agents were so the agents wanted their names out there.  I'm guessing it's around 20 million.

if he gets hurt for too long or too often then this is a bad move, if he stays healthy it's prolly a solid one.

he has some real ability and a lot more upside, and he's a physical monster and an intimidator.

methinks w the young tackles coming up, the brain trust is thinking about when they have to move on from dawkins, and being in as much of an advantage position as they can be.

say what you will about how kc builds their team vs ours, one thing reid never lets happen is he won't have a team without premier talent at the OT position.  there is some wisdom there.

• Like (+1) 2

Being that every single offensive play’s success depends on the O-Line…, 

Who the hell else do we have can play the position anywhere as good as Brown can? 

The answer is nobody at this time.

It is a good move for the Bills offense, which means it’s a good move for Josh Allen, 

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Hmm. I'd have favoured letting him play it out personally. He had a good year last year and it is conceivable he is not yet at his ceiling given his physical potential and the relatively low level of college football he played at (so not exposed to top coaching etc). But he has had one good season, a history of back issues (which at his height is a concern), a shoulder surgery AND their 6th round rookie tackle looked really good in pre-season giving you at least a legitimate contender for the job if Brown ends up walking next year. 

The Bills could end up looking smart here if he keeps ascending. But they could look like dummies too. Hopefully Spencer proves them right.

Why would they look smart? According to the report, they're paying him top RT money. If you're just going to hand out a massive contract, you could do it on a proven commodity instead of betting on hope. If they gave him a long term deal with middling numbers, I could argue that being a move where they could look smart. With a top money deal, you can only be wrong, because the numbers make the assumption you're right.

Edited by BullBuchanan
  • Agree 1

Guy seems to be headed in the right direction and replacing a quality OT is never easy and Brown is somewhere north of good which is nearly impossible to replace with any ease.  Frankly I’m relieved to see they signed him as losing him would blow a huge hole (next year) in a line I think will already struggle this year with Morse gone.  Next year I’m betting Connor is back at G and that guy from UGA is the starting center.  And that’s a line that can really protect Josh and run it down anyone’s throat.  

1 hour ago, NewEra said:

If it’s over 12M a year I’m gonna be bummed.  Have a feeling it’s way more that 12M a year.  Right tackles….not a fan of paying them big bucks

He’s worth well over $12m a year.

• Disagree 2
  • Agree 1

Sorry, but I hate this. 

Brown has had injury concerns (back problems with his height is not a good combo). 

His first 2 seasons he was awful, like worst starting RT in the league awful. 3rd season was solid, but he was getting a lot of help from TE/RB chipping. 

Why would we rush into a contract extension when he still had another left on his rookie deal?

This is going to be Dawson Knox all over again. 

1 hour ago, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

On a 4 year deal, you have bonus money spread out over at least 4 seasons, plus some base salary guarantees likely.  I'd guess he couldn't be traded until 2027 at the earliest without a large cap charge.  

Van Demark (ERFA) and Grable being under contract for at least 2 seasons is fantastic for depth.  Gives Grable time to develop and Van Demark as the primary swing tackle.  

I think the player most likely moved/cut would be McGovern.  It only would make sense if VPG is ready obviously.  McGovern wouldn't net a ton of savings in 2025, but it moves the void money (4.8M) up to to 2025 and reduces his overall cap charge to 7.7M.  He might also be a trade target in the offseason as his traded salary is only 5.35M for the year (plus a 1M roster bonus), which an acquiring team can reduce with a void year or extension.  

O'Cyrus didn't look great in the preseason I'm not cutting McGovern unless we know that have two quality starting OGs.

1 hour ago, Augie said:

When you wait, the price goes up. Ask the Cowboys. If you are sure on the player, better sooner than later, IMO. 

That worked for us with Allen. Worked very well. It will work here as well.

• Agree 1

26 minutes ago, Allen2D̶i̶g̶g̶s̶TBD said:

He was a 3rd round pick with a low cap hit, so this will most likely increase his cap hit. Beane restructured Daquan and Epenesa to create room for this.

His cap hit for this season is nearly 3.6.  

I’m going to very curious how this contract hits the cap this season.  Why sign an extension now if it doesn’t help us cap wise this season or at worst not hurt us this season.

Edited by GASabresIUFan