Spencer Brown signs 4 year extension

Big Blitz

Just now, Fan in Chicago said:

Couple of points

1. Is this new money which counts against the cap this year? If yes, where did it come from and could we have spent it elsewhere such as on a WR

2. @Simonhad said mid season that he was a liability. What do you think about this extension ? 

1 - Likely no.  The contract is an extension beginning in 2025.  

2 - I don't love it, but i see why they did it.  I think he still gets more on open market as there are a number of teams with cap space and needs on the line.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

28 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

We have a decent stable of tackles behind Brown and RT just isn't that difficult a position to fill.

It’s possible we have a decent stable behind him, but, when healthy, Brown is a known and ascending player. The Bills have not had a great track record with RTs for the last 20 years. As long as this deal is reasonable, it’s always a good move to solidify the line. 

• Like (+1) 3

If my wife shows up today with a Ford F-150, I'm going to ask her about it.

If she says she got it new for $12,000, I'll praise her for a good deal.

If she paid, $120,000 for it, I'll go insane.

I won't have an opinion on Brown until I see the price tag.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

I mean it's all relative right

If you're getting a raptor that's the price...if you only need the base just get a used one

While I understand the hesitance of those that don't love this move, I have to disagree with the sentiment that paying a good right tackle to stick around isn't good business. I think tackle is right up there with WR, CB, and EDGE in terms of positional importance. 

Protecting one's franchise QB is a priority of the highest order. Lest Bills fans forget, we wandered in the RT wilderness for many years before Spencer Brown came along. We may like young prospects like Grable and VanDemark, but none of them has yet proven to be on the level of Spencer Brown. 

Having to go into next year with a big question mark at right tackle -- to add to our likely question marks at WR and S -- does not seem ideal. 

Beane tends to like to do deals a bit early. Sometimes, they pay off -- Ed Oliver and Josh Allen's contracts now looks like steals. Sometimes, they don't -- see Tyler Bass and Dawson Knox. With Spencer Brown, the arrow of improvement still seems to be pointed upward, and they're banking on him being a top 5-10 RT for the next few years. Time will tell if they're right or wrong, but I certainly can't blame Beane for placing a high priority on the protection of Josh Allen.

• Like (+1) 4

1 minute ago, Logic said:

While I understand the hesitance of those that don't love this move, I have to disagree with the sentiment that paying a good right tackle to stick around isn't good business. I think tackle is right up there with WR, CB, and EDGE in terms of positional importance. 

Protecting one's franchise QB is a priority of the highest order. Lest Bills fans forget, we wandered in the RT wilderness for many years before Spencer Brown came along. We may like young prospects like Grable and VanDemark, but none of them has yet proven to be on the level of Spencer Brown. 

Having to go into next year with a big question mark at right tackle -- to add to our likely question marks at WR and S -- does not seem ideal. 

Beane tends to like to do deals a bit early. Sometimes, they pay off -- Ed Oliver and Josh Allen's contracts now looks like steals. Sometimes, they don't -- see Tyler Bass and Dawson Knox. With Spencer Brown, the arrow of improvement still seems to be pointed upward, and they're banking on him being a top 5-10 RT for the next few years. Time will tell if they're right or wrong, but I certainly can't blame Beane for placing a high priority on the protection of Josh Allen.

Especially with the NFL being more of a passing league where defenses covet pass rushers on both ends now.  You need both tackles protecting the QB now.

• Like (+1) 4

14 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

I can agree with that, where’s your line in the sand.. what’s the number?

2 minutes ago, Roundybout said:

Wait is this the guy that posts here 

lol… seeing Filthy Beast take, I’m now convinced we hit a home run 

• Agree 2
  • Haha (+1) 6
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, boyst said:

If tommy Doyle would have panned out for a swing backup OT is be so happy. Maybe he still can.

Glad we locked him up now.

I think Doyle's still hanging around rehabbing something.  

End of the day - Brown played tight end in 8-man football in highschool, then missed his senior year in FCS due to covid moving that season to the spring.  He was raw when he came here and has still started 44 games in 3 seasons including all 17 last year.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Everyone agrees a big problem with our team is we don't have enough true game changers. Brown has been a good to very good RT for us but he is not a game changer. That's where my issue lies. We're taking money that could be spent on a real game changer and giving it to merely a solid player instead, plus we probably could have gotten a 3rd round comp pick back if he walked in FA next year. Every investment is a trade off and I'm not convinced in this case the trade off is worth it.

Since when do people consider RTs "game changers?"  The job of the RT is to keep our "game changer" upright and block for other "game changers" to make yards and score touchdowns.

• Like (+1) 5

1 minute ago, eball said:

Since when do people consider RTs "game changers?"  The job of the RT is to keep our "game changer" upright and block for other "game changers" to make yards and score touchdowns.

He doesn't do that very well

Brown surrendered 42 pressures of Allen and five sacks on the season