Spencer Brown signs 4 year extension

Big Blitz

3 minutes ago, Charles Romes said:

Hopefully, it’s low enough that we have the option to trade for value and roll with vandy and grable if we want. 

On a 4 year deal, you have bonus money spread out over at least 4 seasons, plus some base salary guarantees likely.  I'd guess he couldn't be traded until 2027 at the earliest without a large cap charge.  

Van Demark (ERFA) and Grable being under contract for at least 2 seasons is fantastic for depth.  Gives Grable time to develop and Van Demark as the primary swing tackle.  

I think the player most likely moved/cut would be McGovern.  It only would make sense if VPG is ready obviously.  McGovern wouldn't net a ton of savings in 2025, but it moves the void money (4.8M) up to to 2025 and reduces his overall cap charge to 7.7M.  He might also be a trade target in the offseason as his traded salary is only 5.35M for the year (plus a 1M roster bonus), which an acquiring team can reduce with a void year or extension.  

• Like (+1) 2

If there’s a position group where you shouldn’t be looking to penny pinch, it’s the OL. I love it, he’s one of my favourite players, big, mean, athletic are the traits I’m looking for to protect the most valuable asset of the franchise.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

13 minutes ago, RoscoeParrish said:

I like it.

Dawkins’ days are numbered. I don’t want to be in the LT and RT market two years from now.

Draft an OT prospect in the next year or two high and let Dawkins walk. 

They drafted the next LT this year and he'll get a couple of seasons to mature as the swing tackle.

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, RoscoeParrish said:

If the wheels fall off in a he next year or two, we will be resetting both of the most valuable positions on the line at the same time when Josh is just turning 30/31.

something tells me Dawkins won’t be playing at a high level at 32+. I suspect Beane feels the same way as he front loaded his cap hit and made him very cuttable in 26.

I'm not saying it doesn't make sense for what they appear to be going for

Brown is much stronger in run block than pass pro and that seems to be the offenses' general direction

9 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I had a feeling this would happen, Beane wants to get a win for his draft class, but IMO it's a mistake. We have a decent stable of tackles behind Brown and RT just isn't that difficult a position to fill. I was hoping we would save our limited cap dollars for a legit WR next year.

Oh well. Since the numbers aren't out I would guess it's a pretty team friendly team, just not what I would have done.

That's where I stand. Listening to Joe Marino, it seems that the stable of you g tackles we have in the pipeline is somewhat promising.  I thought maybe from a financial strategic the smart play would be to let another team pay Brown $16-18M per year on the open market, bag the 3rd round comp. pick and have a young guy ready to go

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

With two promising OTs waiting in the wings and Brown’s injury history, I’m not sure I like it. Will wait to see the numbers, but I was cool with letting him walk and getting a high comp pick in exchange because some team was going to overpay him on the market. He’s an extremely tall guy with back problems, it’s a risk.

• Agree 1

14 minutes ago, Chicken Boo said:

That's my concern.  Why now?

I think the longer you wait the more expensive it is... plus this actually may free up some cap room depending on how it is structured. 

I just can't bring myself to be upset about the Bills locking up both their tackles for the next several seasons.

Always invest in keeping your quarterback upright and giving him weapons. They've got the "keeping him upright" part down, it would appear. They've gotten a good start on the "give him weapons" part with Shakir, Kincaid, and hopefully Coleman. More work to be done on that front next offseason.

Here's hoping Tylan Grable can build on what he showed this preseason and be a capable swing tackle for three-four seasons before taking over at one of the tackle spots when either Dawkins or Brown's extension is up.

• Like (+1) 9
  • Agree 3

Everyone agrees a big problem with our team is we don't have enough true game changers. Brown has been a good to very good RT for us but he is not a game changer. That's where my issue lies. We're taking money that could be spent on a real game changer and giving it to merely a solid player instead, plus we probably could have gotten a 3rd round comp pick back if he walked in FA next year. Every investment is a trade off and I'm not convinced in this case the trade off is worth it.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

It should also be noted that while we may have some trepidation about the handling our WR room, this OL looks to be a well oiled machine.

Drafting well.  Developing well.  Kromer is top notch at his craft.  

We now have 4/5 starters locked up for multiple years with two young tackles in the pipeline, a young G/C we’ve developed for two years now and a mid-round rookie C who played at the highest level in college. 

• Like (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, Toledo Bill said:

I have always thought Dawkins is a knee injury waiting to happen due to his weight. I know he has been very durable but age and weight will probably catch up with him.

Get what we can from Dawkins, hope Brown is a fixture for years and develop the youngsters.

have you ever looked at Dawkin’s knees. He’s built like a dancing brontesaurous. 

• Haha (+1) 2

14 minutes ago, Rubes said:

Since everyone around here seems to be in a foul mood I expect this will go over super well.

Yup, the moment I read it, I new it would piss off a bunch board members, it’s amazing how essentially it’s the same cohort that gets triggered by every thing that the Bills do , 🤣

• Agree 3

11 minutes ago, Chicken Boo said:

That's my concern.  Why now?

Agreed. I'm very concerned, not quite Knox level vibes but still concerning. We can't keep throwing out $10m+ contracts at above average players.  My concern with Brown is more about his back than his performance last year being a blip.  Knox had a clear inflated touchdown total the year before he signed, and was zero threat to hold out or walk, there was no reason to sign him at the zenith of his leverage when we did. Brown signing makes a little more sense given if he has another good year this year the price would go up astronomically, and there was actually a chance of that, unlike Knox who was virtually guaranteed to regress statistically if you watched his fluky scores the year before, and had injury concerns of his own. I'm still upset about the Knox deal, even talking about it now gets my blood boiling. It was so objectively bad even at the time for anyone that actually watches every play of the Bills games, and looks worse now after drafting Kincaid etc. I insist to this day that there is no way Beane misjudged that poorly, he had to have felt pressure from Allen to sign his boy. Regardless, will wait to see the numbers on Brown before judging too hard but definitely not super excited. It does provide some stability at tackle I guess with Dawkins being kind of inconsistent (and expensive). 

7 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Everyone agrees a big problem with our team is we don't have enough true game changers. Brown has been a good to very good RT for us but he is not a game changer. That's where my issue lies. We're taking money that could be spent on a real game changer and giving it to merely a solid player instead, plus we probably could have gotten a 3rd round comp pick back if he walked in FA next year. Every investment is a trade off and I'm not convinced in this case the trade off is worth it.

of course, someone tell Beane to sign a game changer instead!  what a buffoon!

• Haha (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

I'm not saying it doesn't make sense for what they appear to be going for

Brown is much stronger in run block than pass pro and that seems to be the offenses' general direction

Better run blockers often make for better blockers in a short passing attack that buffalo is looking to implement.    

• Thank you (+1) 1