Spencer Brown signs 4 year extension

Big Blitz

I had a feeling this would happen, Beane wants to get a win for his draft class, but IMO it's a mistake. We have a decent stable of tackles behind Brown and RT just isn't that difficult a position to fill. I was hoping we would save our limited cap dollars for a legit WR next year.

Oh well. Since the numbers aren't out I would guess it's a pretty team friendly team, just not what I would have done.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, RoscoeParrish said:

I like it.

Dawkins’ days are numbered. I don’t want to be in the LT and RT market two years from now.

Draft an OT prospect in the next year or two high and let Dawkins walk. 

I'm opposite on this tbh

I'd roll w Dawkins until the wheels fall off and keep cycling the RT position...Dawkins is a proven very solid player and Brown isn't the kind of guy you absolutely need to keep imo

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

Just now, RoscoeParrish said:

I like it.

Dawkins’ days are numbered. I don’t want to be in the LT and RT market two years from now.

Draft an OT prospect in the next year or two high and let Dawkins walk. 

I have always thought Dawkins is a knee injury waiting to happen due to his weight. I know he has been very durable but age and weight will probably catch up with him.

Get what we can from Dawkins, hope Brown is a fixture for years and develop the youngsters.

If it's a good price, I'm in favor. One less hole to plug down the line and I think he can be an above average starter for many seasons.

Biggest issues is injuries. His worst season was recovering from off-season back surgery (which is usually very bad for any football player, but especially big heavy guys).

Edited by DapperCam
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, GoBills808 said:

I'm opposite on this tbh

I'd roll w Dawkins until the wheels fall off and keep cycling the RT position...Dawkins is a proven very solid player and Brown isn't the kind of guy you absolutely need to keep imo

If the wheels fall off in a he next year or two, we will be resetting both of the most valuable positions on the line at the same time when Josh is just turning 30/31.

something tells me Dawkins won’t be playing at a high level at 32+. I suspect Beane feels the same way as he front loaded his cap hit and made him very cuttable in 26.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I had a feeling this would happen, Beane wants to get a win for his draft class, but IMO it's a mistake. We have a decent stable of tackles behind Brown and RT just isn't that difficult a position to fill. I was hoping we would save our limited cap dollars for a legit WR next year.

Oh well. Since the numbers aren't out I would guess it's a pretty team friendly team, just not what I would have done.

I don’t know… the Ravens had plenty of hype but anyone around the team knew they had one big issue… their OL.  

With where WR contracts are going, I’m going to hope we find something with the committee approach along with top end TE play, a good OL and RB room, then use another high draft pick on a WR. 

7 minutes ago, Chicken Boo said:

That's my concern.  Why now?

When you wait, the price goes up. Ask the Cowboys. If you are sure on the player, better sooner than later, IMO. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 7

Just now, Virgil said:

Absolutely love this.  If we found a way to fit him under the cap as it is, great job Beane.  He's been solid and still young

I'm sure the extension is Beane's way to increase our cap space this year in exchange for more $$ in future years.

1 minute ago, HappyDays said:

No disrespect, but nothing about Beane remotely suggests to me he makes moves like this to create the perception of a "win" in a draft class.  He has proven over and over again he is 100% committed to making what he feels is the right moves for the Bills and never made a move that seemed to be about himself.  So I have to respectfully disagree with that statement.  

As fas as our ability to make a move for a WR next year if need be, remember, we are able to get Von off the books next year, his deal was essentially a 3 year deal.  So I think people forget that some when thinking about next years cap, not to mention not having all that dead cap either.  

I think this was a good move...you win in the postseason in the trenches.  And if we didn't lock him up now his price tag would be even higher after this season if he puts together another season like last year.  So for me, shoring up our OL in front of Josh is never a bad move.  

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 12
  • Thank you (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, SCBills said:

With Van Demark and Grable being developed by Kromer, I wasn’t so sure this would happen.  

That said, while he does have some risk.. he’s an ascending player, already above average at his position and with the ceiling of elite RT. 

This.  I thought the same thing, especially with the injury history and with grable.  I wonder if they got him at a bit of a discount.