Kickoff Strategy

Process

The NFL changed the kickoff rules to increase the number of returns. 9 out of 11 kickoffs yesterday were touchbacks....

Looks like this might be a bust but obviously this is a small sample size. 

How would you approach it? Kick deep every time? Mix it up?

Once we have more data it will be interesting to see what the average starting position is when the kick is returned. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Process said:

The NFL changed the kickoff rules to increase the number of returns. 9 out of 11 kickoffs yesterday were touchbacks....

Looks like this might be a bust but obviously this is a small sample size. 

How would you approach it? Kick deep every time? Mix it up?

Once we have more data it will be interesting to see what the average starting position is when the kick is returned. 

They moved the touchback from the 25, to the 35, then back to the 30.  For a big game that even though it's week 1 has potential playoff seeding ramifications, i didn't expect either team to do much creatively on the kickoffs.  

2 minutes ago, Low Positive said:

The way that they have it set up, the returner pretty much gets to the 25 before contact so there is little advantage to kicking returnable balls. 

I agree with this, seems like more often than not, the returner would get to at least the 25 yard line, which doesn't give the kicking much incentive to put it in play. 

Just now, Process said:

I agree with this, seems like more often than not, the returner would get to at least the 25 yard line, which doesn't give the kicking much incentive to put it in play. 

I heard the average starting position in the preseason was even the 28 yard line, so even less incentive to risk a return if you have a kicker that can kick for the touchback.

There is almost no penalty for teams kicking touchbacks. If they really wanted to prevent touchbacks they either needed to move the kickoff back to the 20 like it used to be or up the penalty so it would be teams starting at the 35 or 40 instead of the 30.  There is virtually no reason for a team to not kick the ball thru the endzone right now, especially since they have no idea how kick coverage will be on these plays over a large sample size during the season. An extra 5 yards, wow...big deal.

The NFL made all these changes but were almost pointless due to not really penalizing the team for TBs or moving the ball father back on kickoff so that a TB would be much harder, which IMO is exactly what they wanted...give the "illusion" they were bringing kickoffs back into play but leave it so that kicking a TB is still going to be far and away the most likely outcome.  

Which is no surprise since that's what they do with lots of things...give the illusion they care for public image, but really don't...player safety, retired players, concussions, field playing surfaces, etc...

Edited by Big Turk
  • Agree 1

29 minutes ago, MJS said:

I don't think it is wise to just concede the 30, personally. But we'll see how it goes.

I tend to agree unless you are worried about your ST which I think we are. So maybe it makes sense to concede especially against an opponent that many feel inferior. I think overall this year there will not be 1 philosophy team wise, I think it will be situational and predicated on the over all performance of your ST.

34 minutes ago, MJS said:

I don't think it is wise to just concede the 30, personally. But we'll see how it goes.

Preseason has shown that they're already conceding the 25yd line.

The timing and need to maintain your coverage lanes doesn't allow much collapse or pursuit to the ball. The returner basically hits a wall of tacklers at the 25.

I'm wondering if there are teams that will allow their Returner to take it out of the endzone.

10 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

Teams have been working on strategies for this.  No one has shown their hand YET.

It will take time to see if this is really stupid OR something else.

The strategy is to kick the ball out of the endzone and take the known versus the unknown, as multiple coaches and ST coaches have said.

Edited by Big Turk

2 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

The strategy is to kick the ball out of the endzone and take the known versus the unknown, as multiple coaches and ST coaches have said.

That won't happen all the time.

I'm going to wait and see what develops.

2 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

If that's what it ends up being then the KO needs to just be eliminated and teams start with it at the 20 or 25. Teams shouldnt be starting with it on the 30 IMO. 

3 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

That won't happen all the time.

I'm going to wait and see what develops.

Neither did kicking touchbacks last year...nothing is going to develop...teams are going to randomly try it until they get burnt once and say F that, it isn't worth it and continue kicking TBs. Just like they did with kicking short at times last year strategically.

3 minutes ago, Process said:

If that's what it ends up being then the KO needs to just be eliminated and teams start with it at the 20 or 25. Teams shouldnt be starting with it on the 30 IMO. 

The NFL did it to themselves by not either increasing the penalty for TBs or moving the kickoff back so it would be harder to kick TBs.  IMO, they don't want kickoffs and did all these changes for the "illusion" that they want to bring them back but they really don't.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 1