The chatter around the Worthy trade isn't rational

Success

1 minute ago, MikePJ76 said:

Yea Well I see a player who plays with power and will be a good player here for a while.

Everyone wants a Chris Jones.  The chiefs have no championships without him.  He is pretty rare.  

If you know of a place to get a Chris Jones there are like 30 General Managers in the nfl that would like you to tell them.

Nobody even understands how absurdly good Chris Jones is it’s so aggravating haha. He is rescuing the chiefs in close games more than even mahomes has the last year plus but nobody cares because he plays defense lol 

silver lining is they had to let sneed walk to keep jones and their secondary seemed to have all kinds of issues last night but Lamar couldn’t capitalize 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I knew it would be looked at unfavorably. I just don't care about perception at all. I'll stand by my pre-draft take - I thought outside of the top three WRs, the best of the rest were all 2nd round talents and the most favorable outcome was to trade down into the 2nd to recoup our 3rd and then take the best WR available there. The fact that the Chiefs were the ones who called wouldn't have changed my thinking at all.

thats fine

you and beane felt similarly. reid and veach obviously disagreed. now that early returns are in are we really that surprised by the 'chatter'

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

Genuinely how?  No disrespect to you 😂but I entirely disagree and think that take is mostly just a residual grudge for the mahomes situation for a lot of people.  Worthy is likely there at 32 for them.  They were scared they’d lose out and might’ve gifted us an extra impact player…even if worthy is good we may have fleeced them. 

instant impact?  We traded down, scooped an extra likely good player and drafted a guy that will see the field more than worthy lol I legitimately do not understand the logic. 

if worthy had a ton of catches last night and the offense ran mostly through him maybe a bit of a different vibe for me today 

No. There was a palpable WTF moment with MOsT fans and most of the populous and certainly media. We needed a WR badly. And there was right or wrong a bunch of targets there - legatee, mckonkey, Coleman , worthy, ad Mitchell. 

And we traded with kc for not a super big haul. Sorry we swapped a 4th for 3 rd guys. 

It was aside from the atl qb pick - the biggest moment from the draft 

• Eyeroll 1

21 minutes ago, Billl said:

He didn‘t get a free release.  Marlon Humphrey jammed him.

Watch it again. Humphrey was three yards off the LOS and not playing press. Worthy had a free, three step release before Humphrey stepped up to bump him with that little shove to the side, which actually helped worthy get to the sideline. I just don’t think DCs are gonna give him that room very often. It also helps when your CBs know what the coverage assignments are because Humphrey was playing zone and clearly expecting help when he passed Worthy off. 

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

Nobody even understands how absurdly good Chris Jones is it’s so aggravating haha. He is rescuing the chiefs in close games more than even mahomes has the last year plus but nobody cares because he plays defense lol 

silver lining is they had to let sneed walk to keep jones and their secondary seemed to have all kinds of issues last night but Lamar couldn’t capitalize 

The secondary still seemed very good to me.  Jones is 1 of 1 now that Donald is retired.

I wish buffalo had a Jones or TJ Watt in their prime.  

9 minutes ago, MikePJ76 said:

Yea Well I see a player who plays with power and will be a good player here for a while.

Everyone wants a Chris Jones.  The chiefs have no championships without him.  He is pretty rare.  

If you know of a place to get a Chris Jones there are like 30 General Managers in the nfl that would like you to tell them.

Ok … so he plays with power , whatever that means. I’m not gonna gush about a 5th year college player from duke w Soso production. If he was a “good” nfl player he’d have come out for the draft earlier. Now. If he wanted to stay and take advantage of the covid redshirt and get his degree from duke I get that as a person. As a fan- I’m hitting pause on the gush

Edited by balln
  • Eyeroll 1

2 hours ago, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

I think they jumped SF who ended up with Pearsall.  In any case, i agree with you.  He was 5th WR off the board, and buffalo probably had similar grades on several players and liked Coleman best.  Remains to be seen if they were right, but I thought they got some pretty good value with the move into the 3rd round and still get the WR you liked.  

Worthy was traded for Legette and Carter.

Legette was traded for Coleman and Sedrick Van Pran-Granger

So Essentially the trade of the Worthy pick got them Coleman, Carter, and Van Pran-Granger.  They got the 3rd back that they moved in the Douglas trade, moved into the early 5th and used it to add two interior linemen.  

Unless worthy turns out to be offensive Rookie of the Year, I would trade Worthy for Carter, Coleman and Van Pran in a heartbeat.

All these moving pieces hard to keep straight.

You will know, which teams do we get their 2nd round for Diggs,

4 minutes ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

He’s insane. They just constantly abuse matschups. Put him on guards. Then tackles. And he mixes up his rush. He’s. Ugh. Silent fist clenching over here

Worthy absolutely changes the entire dynamic of that offense. He allows Kelce and Rice much more room to operate underneath because teams have to respect his speed. 

That's exactly what the Bills need for Shakir, Kincaid, etc..

Instead, we took... the exact opposite. I hope Coleman works out, I really do but I had a bad feeling when the trade was made and last night definitely didn't change that.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

Just now, balln said:

Ok … so he plays with power , whatever that means. I’m not gonna gush about a 5th year college player from duke w Sosa production. If he was a “good” nfl player he’d have come out for the draft earlier. Now. If he wanted to stay and take advantage of the covid redshirt and get his degree from duke I get that as a person. As a fan- I’m hitting pause on the gush

Great.  Don't gush then.  Just complain about him, that is your right as a fan to do that.

I am looking forward to watching him, Coleman and Ray Davis the most.  

1 minute ago, MikePJ76 said:

Great.  Don't gush then.  Just complain about him, that is your right as a fan to do that.

I am looking forward to watching him, Coleman and Ray Davis the most.  

Look I hope all these guys to turn into studs. I’ve just seen enough of Mcbeane roster building I guess. Or - put another way. I’m jealous of Reid / veach. They are SCHOOLINg us (the nfl / maybe Howie in Philly ) 

. We’re good. They’re great 

9 minutes ago, KentuckyBillsFan said:

Worthy absolutely changes the entire dynamic of that offense. He allows Kelce and Rice much more room to operate underneath because teams have to respect his speed. 

That's exactly what the Bills need for Shakir, Kincaid, etc..

Instead, we took... the exact opposite. I hope Coleman works out, I really do but I had a bad feeling when the trade was made and last night definitely didn't change that.

I’d expect a lot more pounding the run/play action from us continuing with the second half of last season.  Worthy was an awful scheme fit.  Can’t block, likely can’t beat the notoriously and debatably illegal chiefs db grabbies in the playoffs 🤣 , not a big red zone target, not a guy that’s gonna play a ton of snaps, probably a modest injury risk 

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

now that early returns are in are we really that surprised by the 'chatter'

Not at all. Every time Worthy does anything valuable for the Chiefs until the end of time there will be chatter among Bills fans. I just don't care and I'm glad Beane didn't either. Of course if Worthy turns into a very good WR and Coleman sucks than we can have a conversation about Beane's inability to properly scout the players. But we're really not even close to that point yet.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Success said:

It's actually insane - here & nationally.  

He had 2 big plays yesterday.  The 1st TD was some of the best blocking I've seen in awhile, and reflective of how good Reid is.  Most fast receivers get that TD.  The 2nd TD was a completely blown coverage, and pretty much ANY WR would have gotten a TD on.

He's incredibly fast - but we knew that before the draft.  The internet went crazy last night blaming the Bills and Beane - as though we didn't expect the guy to make some plays in one of the best offenses, with one of the best QB's and best offensive minds in the game?

But that's beside the point.  In all likelihood, KC would have gotten Worthy by standing pat in that draft.  Instead, we traded - and not only got Coleman, but Bishop as well.  People keep saying that if Worthy outperforms Coleman, it will look terrible for the Bills....but what if Bishop turns into a top safety?

It's almost like it's in the national psyche that KC always bests the Bills.  That will probably turn out to be a good trade for both teams, but the hot take reaction was so over the top anti-Bills.  

I agree with you on Worthy, but what the heck does Bishop have to do with this discussion? We drafted Bishop in the 2nd round with our original pick. No trades required. 

11 minutes ago, MikePJ76 said:

The secondary still seemed very good to me.  Jones is 1 of 1 now that Donald is retired.

I wish buffalo had a Jones or TJ Watt in their prime.  

They looked pretty shaky to me Lamar just missed a ton of throws.  The final drive by the chiefs defense was as bad as I’ve seen them play and they dodged back to back to back bullets lol 

52 minutes ago, ALLinALLEN said:

FWIW I do think we would have drafted Worthy if Diggs was still here. I think Beane was set on getting an X type guy after that. 

To be honest, even with Diggs here I do not think Worthy would have been the pick, I think it still is Coleman.  Beane has talked about how we have been lacking for years that more physical presence and size.  He even stated that while Diggs plays with an edge, he still just doesn't have the size and strength either.  He went back to when Brown and Cole were here together too in this convo.  

One thing was clear this year, there was a refocus on getting tougher and more physical after continually watching teams like KC and Cincy be more physical than us in the playoffs, including at home in bad weather.  And having smaller guys already around Diggs in Shakir and Samuel, I don't think they would have selected Worthy even if Diggs was still here as it didn't fit what they were trying to do this year.  

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Agree 1