The chatter around the Worthy trade isn't rational

Success

I tried not to have a favorite wr predraft bc there were so many choices there was a small chance my guy got picked.

Unfortunately I landed on Worthy as my guy.  He is not just a speed guy and outperformed AD Mitchell last year.

That said it's annoying the the narrative is the Bills "let the Chiefs get him"  He was pick 27. There were many other teams that could have taken him if they wanted him.  

14 minutes ago, Success said:

Kind of - but I think it's out the window if it makes sense in terms of improving our own team, without improving the rival too much.

I can see where people will end up thinking we improved KC at an unreasonable level - but I'd only counter that it's all a calculation. Would Worthy have fallen to them anyway?  Would whatever receiver they got if we hadn't traded been significantly worse than Worthy in their offense?

I thinks teams don’t deal with their in divisional rivals for lots of reasons.

No trade is one way, right? Like trading a player for picks or picks for a player, you’re always gonna get something that you think makes your team better eventually, otherwise you wouldn’t do the trade at all.

I see the decision to trade back with the Chiefs not a lot different from trading Diggs to the Texans. Downside is trading a player a conference rival wants. A conference rival that may be waiting for us in the divisional round. Now, the Texans aren’t that team yet, but imo it’s not shocking that there’s folks who think giving anything of value to conference rivals or divisional rivals or teams that have stood in your way in the playoffs for the better part of 5 years can backfire.

• Eyeroll 1

5 hours ago, Success said:

It's actually insane - here & nationally.  

He had 2 big plays yesterday.  The 1st TD was some of the best blocking I've seen in awhile, and reflective of how good Reid is.  Most fast receivers get that TD.  The 2nd TD was a completely blown coverage, and pretty much ANY WR would have gotten a TD on.

He's incredibly fast - but we knew that before the draft.  The internet went crazy last night blaming the Bills and Beane - as though we didn't expect the guy to make some plays in one of the best offenses, with one of the best QB's and best offensive minds in the game?

But that's beside the point.  In all likelihood, KC would have gotten Worthy by standing pat in that draft.  Instead, we traded - and not only got Coleman, but Bishop as well.  People keep saying that if Worthy outperforms Coleman, it will look terrible for the Bills....but what if Bishop turns into a top safety?

It's almost like it's in the national psyche that KC always bests the Bills.  That will probably turn out to be a good trade for both teams, but the hot take reaction was so over the top anti-Bills.  

I never thought Worthy was a good fit for us. He's a younger, faster version of Curtis Samuel. He's a weapon that you move all over the field.

We had Slot and Inside/Outside guys completely covered with Samuel, Kincaid, and Shakir. We were completely barren at X.

That said, if Worthy becomes a star that keeps the Chiefs offense explosive, none of that matters. All people are going to remember is we traded them the spot to take him. 

It's one thing to select someone else and let him fall to them. It's another to go "here arch rival, take your guy". Here's hoping last night was a mirage or Beane may never hear the end of it.

I find it hysterical ! The knee jerk reaction of people. They don't have a brain to analyze details. Just like critics of Josh don't analyze interceptions stats. And people who criticize us cutting Diggs and Gabe don't dig into the deeper reasons. Just knee-jerk reactions from idiots.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Success said:

It's actually insane - here & nationally.  

He had 2 big plays yesterday.  The 1st TD was some of the best blocking I've seen in awhile, and reflective of how good Reid is.  Most fast receivers get that TD.  The 2nd TD was a completely blown coverage, and pretty much ANY WR would have gotten a TD on.

He's incredibly fast - but we knew that before the draft.  The internet went crazy last night blaming the Bills and Beane - as though we didn't expect the guy to make some plays in one of the best offenses, with one of the best QB's and best offensive minds in the game?

But that's beside the point.  In all likelihood, KC would have gotten Worthy by standing pat in that draft.  Instead, we traded - and not only got Coleman, but Bishop as well.  People keep saying that if Worthy outperforms Coleman, it will look terrible for the Bills....but what if Bishop turns into a top safety?

It's almost like it's in the national psyche that KC always bests the Bills.  That will probably turn out to be a good trade for both teams, but the hot take reaction was so over the top anti-Bills.  

Help me understand how Bishop is a part of this equation? 

9 minutes ago, section122 said:

I tried not to have a favorite wr predraft bc there were so many choices there was a small chance my guy got picked.

Unfortunately I landed on Worthy as my guy.  He is not just a speed guy and outperformed AD Mitchell last year.

That said it's annoying the the narrative is the Bills "let the Chiefs get him"  He was pick 27. There were many other teams that could have taken him if they wanted him.  

The Bills let the Chiefs get him.  They traded pick 27 to the Chiefs, which they used to draft Worthy.  Cause and effect.  

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Fan in San Diego said:

We got Cole bishop in the 3rd or 4th round because of the trade. We picked up a 3rd or 4th from trading. I forget the details of the trade.

You forgot the details because it's not true at all. Bishop was not part of any of the Worthy trade details, even when you include the trade to the Panthers.

CHIEFS RECEIVE:

Round 1, 2024: No. 28 -- WR Xavier Worthy

Round 4, 2024: No. 133 -- DB Jaden Hicks

Round 7, 2024: No. 248 -- G C.J. Hanson

BILLS RECEIVE:

Round 1, 2024: No. 32; Pick traded to Panthers -- WR Xavier Legette

Round 3, 2024: No. 95 -- DT DeWayne Carter

Round 7, 2024: No. 221 (from Tennessee) -- T Travis Clayton

PANTHERS RECEIVE:

Round 1, 2024: No. 32 (from Kansas City) -- WR Xavier Legette

Round 6, 2024: No. 200 -- DT Jaden Crumedy

BILLS RECEIVE:

Round 2, 2024: No. 33 -- WR Keon Coleman

Round 5, 2024: No. 141 -- C Sedrick Van Pran-Granger

Man...I can't wait for the Bills to actually start playing games and getting some wins. 

There is just so much negativity around the Bills this year, both nationally and within our own fan base. I have a hard time understanding it. Maybe I'm the one being delusional, but I think we are still going to be a very good team this year.

I mean good for Worthy and good for KC. But as others have said, Worthy was the right fit for KC, but he was obviously not what the Bills were looking for. He didn't fit the Bills...so to me it is much to do about nothing. I could care less what the Twitter(X)-verse has to say, but to ride the Bills for not drafting a player they didn't want, and for maximizing their draft value accordingly, seems silly.

There are only two scenarios where this will be a bad trade for the Bills. #1 If Worthy continues to go off and has an amazing rookie year, while Coleman never really comes along. Or #2 if the Bills and KC meet in the playoffs again and Worthy is the MAIN reason that KC beats us. Neither of those scenarios will be determined until at least much later this year, so...nothing to see here.

I really can't wait until Sunday. I'm so done with this offseason.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

14 minutes ago, Fan in San Diego said:

We got Cole bishop in the 3rd or 4th round because of the trade. We picked up a 3rd or 4th from trading. I forget the details of the trade.

Sarcasm? 

13 minutes ago, Success said:

He wasn't.  I failed in that part of the OP & got my players mixed up.

Correct, didn’t know if I was missing something. They took Carter. 

My philosophy is to try and learn from the past but never to sulk over it.  If Worthy turns out to be a star, so be it.  What's really important is what Coleman and the rest of Buffalo's draft picks do and now they contribute to team success.

Edited by BigAl2526
  • Agree 1

6 hours ago, NoName said:

This what Mahomes had to say about Worthy after the game.....

"Just having him out there, it just opens up stuff," Mahomes said. "You saw when he's out there, they're playing shell coverages. It's getting guys like [Travis Kelce] and it's getting guys like [Rashee Rice] open underneath, and that's what's so great about this offense is we're able to do all of that, and that's when we're at our best."

His impact was bigger than the two splash plays.

Yes. 

Rice wouldn't have been open all night without Worthy's presence. 

6 hours ago, Logic said:

I was and am an "I wish we picked Worthy" guy.

That said -- the discourse on social media last night and this morning is ridiculous.

As you said, his two scoring plays came on a reverse, which -- credit to him -- he followed his blockers and scored on. He showed his rare speed. And the other came on a completely busted coverage where Marlon Humphrey thought he had safety help and left Worthy uncovered down the sideline. 

NEITHER of those plays are indicative of some great talent that Worthy possesses AS A RECEIVER. We didn't see him getting open against press-man, finding the soft spot in zone coverages, or generally displaying the skills it takes to be a good WR in the NFL. Nevertheless, he scored twice (and one of them came on his first NFL touch, no less). And because nuance doesn't really exist in our instant reaction world of hot takes, hyperbole, and instant viral video clips, the discussion is simply "LOOK AT WHO THE BILLS PASSED ON!"

So yeah...Even as a big Worthy guy, you're right. The discourse around him this morning his ridiculous. Last night didn't show me much other than "he's fast", which we already knew.

Weird, right? It's almost like they built a scheme around the talent they have. So that they could take pressure off their all world QB. The Bills should try that sometime. Look, you'll never convince me that Mahomes is so much better than Josh. But we do a sh*t job of putting him in a position to succeed. Instead we put more pressure on him and then he presses, plays beyond his means and we lose to KC when it actually counts. you don't think Reid knows this? What was that Bum Phillips quote?

"(He) can take his'n and beat your'n, and then he can turn around and take your'n and beat his'n."

Nothing has fundamentally changed from the past few seasons except who the Bills scapegoat. Last season it was Diggs. This season it will be the salary cap. So McDermott will get at least 2 more seasons.

In the meantime we can watch Worthy be utilized in the best way possible in the KC offense until home field advantage in the playoffs. Apparently the best we can hope for is that he won't last the season "because of his size." Isn't Milano hurt? How big is he?

What a load of crock on this thread. We deserve the criticism until *we* prove otherwise.

C

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Logic said:

I was and am an "I wish we picked Worthy" guy.

That said -- the discourse on social media last night and this morning is ridiculous.

As you said, his two scoring plays came on a reverse, which -- credit to him -- he followed his blockers and scored on. He showed his rare speed. And the other came on a completely busted coverage where Marlon Humphrey thought he had safety help and left Worthy uncovered down the sideline. 

NEITHER of those plays are indicative of some great talent that Worthy possesses AS A RECEIVER. We didn't see him getting open against press-man, finding the soft spot in zone coverages, or generally displaying the skills it takes to be a good WR in the NFL. Nevertheless, he scored twice (and one of them came on his first NFL touch, no less). And because nuance doesn't really exist in our instant reaction world of hot takes, hyperbole, and instant viral video clips, the discussion is simply "LOOK AT WHO THE BILLS PASSED ON!"

So yeah...Even as a big Worthy guy, you're right. The discourse around him this morning his ridiculous. Last night didn't show me much other than "he's fast", which we already knew.

Coleman has rare speed, no?