The chatter around the Worthy trade isn't rational

Success

Can't it just be a trade that could potentially work out for both teams?

This thread is about hot-take, lunatic America freaking out after 1 quarter of play on "why did the stupid Bills let KC get Worthy?"  

I hope we never have a GM who decides against a trade that could benefit the Buffalo Bills simply because it involves Kansas City.  That's making business decisions and decisions about the quality of our team based on nothing more than perception, or trying to avoid the aforementioned lunatic hot-takes.

Let's say we stand pat, don't get the extra pick, and the Niners take Worthy, so KC loses out on him. Are we really to believe that whatever receiver they ended up taking in the 1st round wouldn't have made some nice plays last night?

• Like (+1) 2

It isn't so much that Buffalo missed on Worthy...it's that they weren't in a place to take him schematically.

Bills have gone from wanting smaller, shiftier type separation receivers to back to wanting catch radius guys.  And that's fine, but as KC has proven...you need both to be an explosive offense. 

KC OTOH has size drafting Rice last year, has Kelce, and then they add Worthy, who has to be used appropriately given his size...but the speed is there.    

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2

6 minutes ago, strive_for_five_guy said:

I actually think overall, Beane has done a pretty good to great job with the roster.  But in this specific instance, I have a real problem with the trade and think it’s perfect acceptable and rational to question it.  Maybe time and his wiazardry will prove me wrong.  But it’s okay to not bow to every move either Beane or McD make.

I don't at all disagree with this...always OK to question things and look at everything from both sides.  

But, I do disagree about this trade.  If I found out my GM made moves or passed up on opportunities to better our team out of being scared about another team I would immediately fire him, and I am sure every owner league would feel the same.  Its one thing to say have an elite player on your roster you don't want to trade to a rival (like when Beane gave permission to Diggs and his agent to find a trade with anyone but KC), but its another when you are talking about draft strategy.

When it comes to the draft there is no way to prevent any team from getting any player outside of you selecting that player yourself.  Furthermore, teams don't disclose in trade talks who they are drafting with the draft pick swap, it's just if the value is there for both sides.   

GM has one job...make the moves that they feel are in the best interest of improving our team.  Anything other than that is a fireable offense IMHO.  So if he passed on adding more draft picks because he was afraid KC would get a guy they can still get without trading with us, I would have demanded to fire Beane even though I feel like Beane is one of the better GMs in football.  

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, Billsguy said:

The two time defending Super Bowl champions have no idea what they are doing by trading with the Buffalo Bills. Some Bills fans would have you believe this. By drafting Patrick Mahomes and Xavier Worthy after trading picks with the Bills, KC proved they know nothing. Right Bills apologists?

Anybody could have scored those two TD's that Worthy scored. "Correct", says the apologists. Don't give the Chiefs any credit. 

Remember how Beane said he was happy Keon Coleman ran a slow 40 yd. dash at the combine? By running slower, he would be available later in the draft for the Bills the "reasoning" goes. Excellent logic.  

Making excuses for the failings of Brandon Beane is a bit of a sport for Bills fans. 

The Bills acquired Tredavious White, Zay Jones and Tremaine Edmunds by trading with KC. The Chiefs drafted Mahomes. Can you explain yourself Mr. Beane? 

Both teams got the guy they wanted and the bills got a little extra in the trade…it’s as simple as that. 

kc has drafted plenty of receiver busts and probably had the worst wr room of any playoff team last year lol so I really don’t even understand this post.  Spagnuolos defense had to do the heavy lifting all season in large part because kc misevaluated at wr so badly.  This whole ‘well the chiefs wanted this wr so he must be good’ logic is kind of funny honestly 🤣

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, ngbills said:

I would not put Samuel in that category. He may be able to used in many different ways but that is different than being a a guy that opens up the field. Samuel is going to catch screens and a lot of short passes, can be used in the run game. But he is not a field stretcher or a guy forcing the D to drop back coverage. 

Samuel is one of fastest WRs in the NFL and if you look at the depth chart they have him on the boundary.   Brady will be lining Samuel up all over the field, but don’t be surprised if he utilized more on deeper patterns than he was previously.  

Edited by GASabresIUFan

1 minute ago, BillsVet said:

It isn't so much that Buffalo missed on Worthy...it's that they weren't in a place to take him schematically.

Bills have gone from wanting smaller, shiftier type separation receivers to back to wanting catch radius guys.  And that's fine, but as KC has proven...you need both to be an explosive offense. 

KC OTOH has size drafting Rice last year, has Kelce, and then they add Worthy, who has to be used appropriately given his size...but the speed is there.    

This is spot on.  Someone pin this post.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, ROCBillsBeliever said:

Don't people get it? Why did the NFL (i.e. Narrative Filled Lies) spend 41+ minutes gushing over KC? To remind us who THEY want US to BELIEVE is best.

Narrative... It's all just narrative. Dig deeper, Bills Mafia: There's more to the story.

You’re surprised that a bunch of time was spent talking about the Chiefs…during a Chiefs game?  You think it’s because there’s some conspiracy to convince people that the two time defending Super Bowl champions are the best team?  That’s an interesting way of looking at it.

• Eyeroll 1

6 minutes ago, BillsVet said:

I can get behind this as a middle ground between the two sides right now.  If we had diggs still maybeee they roll the dice on worthy I’m not sure though.  Coleman just feels like he’ll be real valuable on those josh improv plays and gives you that run blocking back that we lost when Gabe left 

4 minutes ago, Billl said:

You’re surprised that a bunch of time was spent talking about the Chiefs…during a Chiefs game?  You think it’s because there’s some conspiracy to convince people that the two time defending Super Bowl champions are the best team?  That’s an interesting way of looking at it.

I think he’s trying to say that the ravens, a great team with an mvp winning qb, felt like a complete afterthought in the broadcast…not trying to say that you’re wrong necessarily but there was a little more in that post than that summary haha 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, ROCBillsBeliever said:

Hey Mods, can we please pin @Bleeding Bills Blue's post?

People need to recognize that it was NOT Worthy for Coleman... That's just the blind chatter force-fed us by the skin-deep "analysis" of such scions of football knowledge as Collinsworthless and Toy Uncle Rico (Tirico). 

Don't people get it? Why did the NFL (i.e. Narrative Filled Lies) spend 41+ minutes gushing over KC? To remind us who THEY want US to BELIEVE is best.

Narrative... It's all just narrative. Dig deeper, Bills Mafia: There's more to the story.

I agree, Bleeding Bills Blue post was great, succinct and properly explains what we real got instead of we traded Coleman for Worthy blah  blah.

• Agree 1

18 minutes ago, Billl said:

I was quoting the @Bleeding Bills Blue about the nature of the pick swap, and commenting on how everyone wants to paint it as we gave KC Worthy. I'm saying there's more to the story. 

Read what you want, and make of it what you wish. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, Success said:

Can't it just be a trade that could potentially work out for both teams?

This thread is about hot-take, lunatic America freaking out after 1 quarter of play on "why did the stupid Bills let KC get Worthy?"  

I hope we never have a GM who decides against a trade that could benefit the Buffalo Bills simply because it involves Kansas City.  That's making business decisions and decisions about the quality of our team based on nothing more than perception, or trying to avoid the aforementioned lunatic hot-takes.

Let's say we stand pat, don't get the extra pick, and the Niners take Worthy, so KC loses out on him. Are we really to believe that whatever receiver they ended up taking in the 1st round wouldn't have made some nice plays last night?

I have a question for you.

Do you think there’s an argument for why teams don’t trade within their division often?

• Haha (+1) 1

Name one great QB for any other speedy WR. I'll wait here. We essentially handed them another weapon to win more championships.

Top 40 times for WR

1. Xavier Worthy: 4.21 seconds (2024)

2. John Ross III: 4.22 seconds (2017)

T-8. Marquise Goodwin 4.27 seconds (2010)

T-8. Henry Ruggs III: 4.27 seconds (2020)

T-10. Jacoby Ford: 4.28 seconds (2010)

T-10. J.J. Nelson: 4.28 seconds (2015)

T-10. Tyquan Thornton: 4.28 seconds (2022)

• Eyeroll 1

15 minutes ago, RoscoeParrish said:

I have a question for you.

Do you think there’s an argument for why teams don’t trade within their division often?

Kind of - but I think it's out the window if it makes sense in terms of improving our own team, without improving the rival too much.

I can see where people will end up thinking we improved KC at an unreasonable level - but I'd only counter that it's all a calculation. Would Worthy have fallen to them anyway?  Would whatever receiver they got if we hadn't traded been significantly worse than Worthy in their offense?

7 minutes ago, peterpan said:

All I’ll say is:

Worthy was able to start on the reigning SB champions.

Coleman is second on the depth chart behind Mack hollins or Hollis or whatever his name is.  Some guy I never heard of. 

That doesn't make sense. Coleman - like Worthy - is a starter.  

37 minutes ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

I can get behind this as a middle ground between the two sides right now.  If we had diggs still maybeee they roll the dice on worthy I’m not sure though. Coleman just feels like he’ll be real valuable on those josh improv plays and gives you that run blocking back that we lost when Gabe left 

Diggs is gone and entertaining otherwise hypothetical situations is not worth the time.  

I think they only wanted a bigger catch radius guy like Coleman because they also passed on some other smaller to average size WRs.  

But it's also a reactive response to last season's offense...although Coleman isn't close to being a bonafide starter, and as others like @Kirby Jackson have mentioned, they needed more from a 33rd overall pick.  They needed a starter and looks like he has a longer runway than Rashee Rice had last season, who seems like a top-end NFL WR beginning mid-2023 and continuing last night.   

The lengths people here go to defend every decision Beane makes is weird. I’ll gladly admit I was wrong if Coleman is the real deal and Worthy isn’t the next Tyreek Hill but until I see evidence to suggest otherwise I’ll continue to be critical of the trade.

• Agree 1

Dude had two huge plays in his first game no matter how much any Bills fan wants to downplay the trade.  Ultimate gauge of trade is how it improves your team with goal of wining Super Bowl.  If KC wins another Super Bowl and they have to be the favorite at this point, and Worthy contributes to that goal, KC wins.  If Bills can win Super Bowl, then Bills win.  KC and Mahomes just better than Buffalo and Allen.

Edited by Mr. Wonderful

5 hours ago, Logic said:

I was and am an "I wish we picked Worthy" guy.

That said -- the discourse on social media last night and this morning is ridiculous.

As you said, his two scoring plays came on a reverse, which -- credit to him -- he followed his blockers and scored on. He showed his rare speed. And the other came on a completely busted coverage where Marlon Humphrey thought he had safety help and left Worthy uncovered down the sideline. 

NEITHER of those plays are indicative of some great talent that Worthy possesses AS A RECEIVER. We didn't see him getting open against press-man, finding the soft spot in zone coverages, or generally displaying the skills it takes to be a good WR in the NFL. Nevertheless, he scored twice (and one of them came on his first NFL touch, no less). And because nuance doesn't really exist in our instant reaction world of hot takes, hyperbole, and instant viral video clips, the discussion is simply "LOOK AT WHO THE BILLS PASSED ON!"

So yeah...Even as a big Worthy guy, you're right. The discourse around him this morning his ridiculous. Last night didn't show me much other than "he's fast", which we already knew.

That throw he had singled up in the corner of the end zone said a lot to me. I thought a guy like Coleman makes a run at that ball. It was one on one and a normal WR would have a shot to make a play. Worthy couldn't even get a hand on it. He seemed to vanish into the larger corner. I expect physicality and contested catches to be a big issue for him. I agree with Beane in thinking that isn't the ideal fit for a team who wants to be more physical. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1