The chatter around the Worthy trade isn't rational

Success

3 hours ago, peterpan said:

All I’ll say is:

Worthy was able to start on the reigning SB champions.

Coleman is second on the depth chart behind Mack hollins or Hollis or whatever his name is.  Some guy I never heard of. 

This just proves Bills have a better depth chart. There!

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Mikie2times said:

That throw he had singled up in the corner of the end zone said a lot to me. I thought a guy like Coleman makes a run at that ball. It was one on one and a normal WR would have a shot to make a play. Worthy couldn't even get a hand on it. He seemed to vanish into the larger corner. I expect physicality and contested catches to be a big issue for him. I agree with Beane in thinking that isn't the ideal fit for a team who wants to be more physical. 

I thought Mahomes threw a bad pass tbh. Should’ve led him towards the pylon. 

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Einstein said:

You’re right about the blocking.

But that speed we saw… that can’t be taught. It was impressive.

It was.  And will continue to be.  Until he gets wrecked 

• Like (+1) 2

9 hours ago, Success said:

It's actually insane - here & nationally.  

He had 2 big plays yesterday.  The 1st TD was some of the best blocking I've seen in awhile, and reflective of how good Reid is.  Most fast receivers get that TD.  The 2nd TD was a completely blown coverage, and pretty much ANY WR would have gotten a TD on.

He's incredibly fast - but we knew that before the draft.  The internet went crazy last night blaming the Bills and Beane - as though we didn't expect the guy to make some plays in one of the best offenses, with one of the best QB's and best offensive minds in the game?

But that's beside the point.  In all likelihood, KC would have gotten Worthy by standing pat in that draft.  Instead, we traded - and not only got Coleman, but Bishop as well.  People keep saying that if Worthy outperforms Coleman, it will look terrible for the Bills....but what if Bishop turns into a top safety?

It's almost like it's in the national psyche that KC always bests the Bills.  That will probably turn out to be a good trade for both teams, but the hot take reaction was so over the top anti-Bills.  

this is prime example of McBeane failures, they prioritize defense.  Chiefs(like most of all NFL) beat you with offense. Bills try to beat you with defense and have failed to get the prize.

• Disagree 2

46 minutes ago, cba fan said:

this is prime example of McBeane failures, they prioritize defense.  Chiefs(like most of all NFL) beat you with offense. Bills try to beat you with defense and have failed to get the prize.

I pretty much agree with your thoughts , but that KC D LOOKED pretty darn good at times.   Let’s  see the bills finally get some strip sacks , and not get beat on the final snap, losing a lead , which we all know has happened too many times under mcd.    I do think you have to have a good , top 10 ish D TO win it all.  I agree our offensive support has been substandard supporting a talent like Josh.    Really, it comes down to poor or failed drafting over the years as we still lack a talented , reliable rusher/ finisher, and we still have not drafted a proven star receiver to augment Josh.   That could change this year, but I still think we can’t ignore the d,,,,,we’ve just missed on the d line.   Again, I understand your point and it does have validity.  ✌️😊

• Agree 1

I watched GMF this morning, and all those guys were slobbering over Worthy as if he were Taylor Swift running around in a bikini out there. You'd think he had caught ten passes. He caught two, on three targets.

Everyone needs to pump the brakes on this guy. Yeah, he's crazy fast-- but if he runs that gadget play every week, he will get mashed. Tyreek Hill, he ain't.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

7 hours ago, NoSaint said:

oh he will for sure be schemed into motion, bunches etc…. 

but just like the risk of jumping a route, if you try to muscle a guy that fast and he dips/ducks/dodges you can get into trouble 

I agree entirely that Reid will scheme him into motion, bunched sets, etc. and that underscores my point which is that he is not an on ball receiver. 

Muscling little fast guys at the LOS is different than muscling little quick guys at the LOS. Worthy has world class straight line speed and he can take the top off a defense if allowed free releases, but we’ve seen for years how little guys can struggle vs. continuous contact for five yards vs press coverage. And I think that’s what DCs will do if he lines up on the ball with any frequency. If he were strong like Tyreek Hill, I’d think differently, but he’s just not. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Allen2Coleman said:

So you’re saying he needs a perfect pass when he’s in coverage?

He had a step on his guy with momentum towards the pylon but the throw forced him to slow his momentum and jumped while reaching back slightly. That’s what I saw from watching it live last night. 

4 hours ago, cba fan said:

this is prime exampl e of McBeane failures, they prioritize defense.  Chiefs(like most of all NFL) beat you with offense. Bills try to beat you with defense and have failed to get the prize.

That is not true.  The Chiefs won IN THE PLAYOFFS last year because of their defense.  Jones and company were unstoppable.  

Last years 1st round pick for the chiefs was a CB and he turned into a pro bowler in his 1st season 

The issue is not about picking offense or defense...the Bills have not done well with their 2nd and 3rd round picks and that has significantly hurt us.

5 hours ago, strive_for_five_guy said:

Even if they didn’t like Worthy for their offensive schemes, they should know enough about what their #1 nemesis is going to want, the fastest WR ever, and not help them get that guy.  But maybe McD is looking forward to the challenge of Rapp & Hamlin trying to protect over top and then Rice, Kelce & Pacheco tearing us apart underneath. 

This is really a stupid mindset for a franchise to take.  Draft and FA is about making your team better thats it.  Can I pick up a third rd pick and still get the guy I like is the only way of looking at it.  Arm chair gm you cant trade with the Chiefs.  You would rather the Bills draft Coleman at 28 snd not get Carter?  Worthy likley still ends up in KC anyway?  

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, K-9 said:

I agree entirely that Reid will scheme him into motion, bunched sets, etc. and that underscores my point which is that he is not an on ball receiver. 

Muscling little fast guys at the LOS is different than muscling little quick guys at the LOS. Worthy has world class straight line speed and he can take the top off a defense if allowed free releases, but we’ve seen for years how little guys can struggle vs. continuous contact for five yards vs press coverage. And I think that’s what DCs will do if he lines up on the ball with any frequency. If he were strong like Tyreek Hill, I’d think differently, but he’s just not. 

And not for nothing, that TD gadget play was his first NFL regular season touch. There was exceptional blocking, sure, but the Ravens also didn't see it coming. It's going to be hard for someone with Worthy's limitations to last in the NFL. Not saying he can't-- his skillset is quite remarkable, and he's in the right place to succeed. But he's going to get knocked around a lot!

24 hours after that I’ve reached a higher level of frustration. 

The Chiefs turn everything to gold and the Bills are too dumb to spot top end talent AND COACHES.

Andy does the offense, 3x champ

Spagnuolo does the defense, 4x champ

Them, Mahomes, that tight end who helped ruin TV chiefs, Jones, Hill, Rice, Worthy, McDuffie… Araiza … I’m done. 

The Bills started this era at the same time as them, abouts. Mahomes threw 50 touchdowns when Josh was a rookie. It was over before it ever began. The frustration is because the gap is growing wider. Like Bill Elliott Daytona 500 pulling away. 

• Disagree 1

6 hours ago, Low Positive said:

It's not about this board. The OP was about the fact that the entire NFL world was clowning on the Bills last night and this morning. 

and they're just as f'ing stupid as the people here.  who cares what they think?  these 2 teams are not the same,  so the parts arent interchangeable.  Mahomes gets drafted here,  or anyplace else for that matter,  hes in all probability not a SB winning QB.  who friggen knows what Worthy would or wouldnt be here?   nobody thought Mahomes would do anything with what he showed in college,  and most of the league didnt rate Worthy either.  for good reason.  NFL is the ultimate team game,   this isnt the NBA where one superstar can carry a team every night without any help.   bring Reid over to the Bills and maybe he makes every pedestrian WR look like a future HoF'er,  or maybe just make him look good for one game where a defense blew a coverage or couldnt tackle.   one,  game.

Edited by bigduke6
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Mat68 said:

This is really a stupid mindset for a franchise to take.  Draft and FA is about making your team better thats it.  Can I pick up a third rd pick and still get the guy I like is the only way of looking at it.  Arm chair gm you cant trade with the Chiefs.  You would rather the Bills draft Coleman at 28 snd not get Carter?  Worthy likley still ends up in KC anyway?  

Don’t forget the Chiefs also got a 4th round pick that they used on a safety in Jaden Hicks too.  And for the Bills fans like yourself that have the rose-colored glasses about this move and are sitting here in denial about it right now, I think that’s a completely stupid mindset.  Everyone is correct that only time will eventually tell who got the better part of the deal.  But the initial view of it was that the Bills directly gave the Chiefs a weapon in the fastest WR ever, where Andy Reid is known for utilizing speed better than just about any coach.  And first game in, Worthy goes out and scores two TDs both of which were over 20 yards.  So the first piece of real

evidence supports the view that it was a bad move for the Bills to have done that.  There will be lots more evidence for or against this view throughout the season, but to not recognize what has happened so far is being irrational.

5 hours ago, bigduke6 said:

and they're just as f'ing stupid as the people here.  who cares what they think?  these 2 teams are not the same,  so the parts arent interchangeable.  Mahomes gets drafted here,  or anyplace else for that matter,  hes in all probability not a SB winning QB.  who friggen knows what Worthy would or wouldnt be here?   nobody thought Mahomes would do anything with what he showed in college,  and most of the league didnt rate Worthy either.  for good reason.  NFL is the ultimate team game,   this isnt the NBA where one superstar can carry a team every night without any help.   bring Reid over to the Bills and maybe he makes every pedestrian WR look like a future HoF'er,  or maybe just make him look good for one game where a defense blew a coverage or couldnt tackle.   one,  game.

Rigth on - and there it is. Reid is a QB whisperer, has been since Philly. Ask yourself this, if Allen was in KC, how many rings? Probably the same or more, and Mahomes would be in the same predicament as Allen is right now, chasing the dream.
Just like that it 1990 again, if the Bills only had a Parcels or Johnson or Gibbs... Sad. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1