The chatter around the Worthy trade isn't rational

Success

3 hours ago, whorlnut said:

If anything…I’m more upset we passed on creed Humphrey and instead took Carlos Basham. 

Or even the fact that we wanted McDuffie and the chiefs jumped us to get him. 

Source on us wanting McDuffie? He’s strictly a slot corner and we already had Taron Johnson at the time.

• Disagree 1

late to the party but if KC called me i'd have instantly called SF as soon as I hung up and told them that KC wants to move up and it was obvious for Worthy to most people. SF wanted Worthy. i'd have given the pick to SF to keep KC from getting to move up.

• Like (+1) 1

Like it or not Coleman will be compared to worthy like Allen is to Mahomes bc of the trades. For those debating is KC's front Office better than Buffalo's? We have $64 mill in dead cap to players no longer on the team 2nd most in the NFL. KC only has $11 mill. Of course if we can win 1 Lombardi a lot of this goes away. 

• Agree 1

When we stop losing home playoff games then you can accuse us of being irrational 

What is irrational is continuing to defend Beane and McDermott in all that they do. Some on here are total homers and see no faults. Others are ridiculous pessimists that think Allen is the problem. Then there is a huge number of us that are just tired of being told Beane is a genius and that McD ended the drought. On paper this is the worst roster since 2018. 

Now let's just play the games and see what happens

Go Bills!

• Agree 3

The copium in this thread is at record levels. You can try to downplay it all you want, but that was a heck of a first game for a rookie receiver. He is going to be a weapon and major headache for opposing teams.

2 hours ago, 90sBills said:

What you saw throughout the game was Rice catching a pass in the middle of a wide open field because the safeties were retreating deep to cover Worthy. KC was missing that speed element to take off the cover last year. Now they have it and are better for their overall team. 

2 high safety look has been used against the Chiefs for like 3 seasons now. Last season the problem was players dropping passes, not speed. MVS runs sub 4.4 and is plenty fast for the effect you are talking about.

11 minutes ago, SectionC3 said:

It was a bust.  A plain as day bust.  The TD had nothing to do with skill and everything to do with miscommunication.  

I just finished the game.  The threat of worthy probably is more effective and important than worthy, which is odd to say for a guy who had two touchdowns.  But I really didn’t notice him outside of the run and the coverage bust. 

I watched him closely the whole game for as much as I could see in the footage of the live game and this was my take away too.

People want to talk about the 2 TD's that couldn't have been any easier for reasons outside of his own abilities but then don't realize he had 1 catch for 12 yards as a starting WR until that free gimme play by the mistake of the Ravens defense that had nothing to do with his abilities.  

I took him in FanDuel as a great value because he was starting and I know Reid could find a way to get him maybe a big play or two.  But, as a starting WR running routes, he was not much of a factor most of the game.  But to be fair to Worthy, it was also his first game ever in the NFL too.   

And that is why I said KC was the absolute perfect landing spot for him because he does not need to be a primary read or high volume target to bring great value to their offense.  This year they already have a great mix of talent, size, and speed amongst Kelce, Rice, Brown, and Pacheco to go along with Mahomes ability to make and extend plays with his legs.  Having his presence and threat is enough for them without him actually being heavily targeted as a primary read.  Especially given they are the most unique, creative, and best team in the league when it comes to play design, confusion, etc.   

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

When we stop losing home playoff games then you can accuse us of being irrational 

What is irrational is continuing to defend Beane and McDermott in all that they do. Some on here are total homers and see no faults. Others are ridiculous pessimists that think Allen is the problem. Then there is a huge number of us that are just tired of being told Beane is a genius and that McD ended the drought. On paper this is the worst roster since 2018. 

Now let's just play the games and see what happens

Go Bills!

Let me ask you this...if you are unhappy with what McD and Beane have "done"...as in past tense...then why are you and others seemingly upset at them now going away from what they have previously "done" and trying a new approach?  And all before we see what this even looks like in a real game.

Picking Worthy for example would have been the same old stuff as before...another undersized WR who isn't physical.  We have been losing the physical battle in the postseason in all our playoff exits.  We have lost in the trenches, our WR's are taken out of the games by more physical corners, bad weather, etc.  We also stunk at running the ball the majority of the past 4 playoffs too, another important aspect that people seem to miss about playoff football.  I mean look at the Chiefs, their ability to run the ball or do quick short throws as an extension of running the ball has been a core piece of their back to back Super Bowl runs, not to mention how much they win in the trenches with that OL and the Chris Jones led DL.  

So for me, I feel like the people who are the biggest critics of what Beane has previously "done" should at least like the fact he is trying to support Allen with a better run game, more reliable pass catches, more diversity including more size and toughness across his offensive weapons.  

Will it work...we don't know yet, but I would think there would at least be more positivity from those who have not liked their past decisions to see them taking a different approach as opposed to keep on doing the same things that didn't get us to where we wanted to go.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

24 fan bases.  How could you have let the Chiefs get Worthy?  The same 24 fan bases passed on selecting Worthy.

Using your first round pick to block a team from drafting a guy makes zero sense when there’s so many good teams in the league lol. I genuinely can’t understand the logic some are suggesting.  While we’d be spending a first on a guy we don’t think is the best scheme fit because he’s a liability on running plays so probably wouldn’t see the field much, the chiefs would move on to their second option and be mildly inconvenienced but every other afc contender is adding a high impact scheme fit type player in the first round 

you’re only hurting yourself really in that scenario 

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Success said:

I don't see it as a nightmare.  To me, it's just another test for this organization and fanbase - another challenge.  It's a higher wall we probably have to climb.

But that will make the payoff even better.  We'd all love to be fat & happy and have a couple of Lombardi's in the trophy case right now, but there is something that's still fun about the chase, at least for me.

I’m about to turn 54 in a couple months I would love for it to happen sooner than later while I still have my senility. 

1 minute ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Let me ask you this...if you are unhappy with what McD and Beane have "done"...as in past tense...then why are you and others seemingly upset at them now going away from what they have previously "done" and trying a new approach?  And all before we see what this even looks like in a real game.

Picking Worthy for example would have been the same old stuff as before...another undersized WR who isn't physical.  We have been losing the physical battle in the postseason in all our playoff exits.  We have lost in the trenches, our WR's are taken out of the games by more physical corners, bad weather, etc.  We also stunk at running the ball the majority of the past 4 playoffs too, another important aspect that people seem to miss about playoff football.  I mean look at the Chiefs, their ability to run the ball or do quick short throws as an extension of running the ball has been a core piece of their back to back Super Bowl runs, not to mention how much they win in the trenches with that OL and the Chris Jones led DL.  

So for me, I feel like the people who are the biggest critics of what Beane has previously "done" should at least like the fact he is trying to support Allen with a better run game, more reliable pass catches, more diversity including more size and toughness across his offensive weapons.  

Will it work...we don't know yet, but I would think there would at least be more positivity from those who have not liked their past decisions to see them taking a different approach as opposed to keep on doing the same things that didn't get us to where we wanted to go.  

I actually think overall, Beane has done a pretty good to great job with the roster.  But in this specific instance, I have a real problem with the trade and think it’s perfect acceptable and rational to question it.  Maybe time and his wiazardry will prove me wrong.  But it’s okay to not bow to every move either Beane or McD make.

The two time defending Super Bowl champions have no idea what they are doing by trading with the Buffalo Bills. Some Bills fans would have you believe this. By drafting Patrick Mahomes and Xavier Worthy after trading picks with the Bills, KC proved they know nothing. Right Bills apologists?

Anybody could have scored those two TD's that Worthy scored. "Correct", says the apologists. Don't give the Chiefs any credit. 

Remember how Beane said he was happy Keon Coleman ran a slow 40 yd. dash at the combine? By running slower, he would be available later in the draft for the Bills the "reasoning" goes. Excellent logic.  

Making excuses for the failings of Brandon Beane is a bit of a sport for Bills fans. 

The Bills acquired Tredavious White, Zay Jones and Tremaine Edmunds by trading with KC. The Chiefs drafted Mahomes. Can you explain yourself Mr. Beane? 

• Eyeroll 4

I had zero doubts that he would succeed in KC.  Perfect landing spot for him.  Elite QB.  Elite play caller.  Other great playmakers around him.  

He is going to be a big play guy and teams will have to game plan for him.  

The question is, can he stay healthy?  That was the only reason I didn’t want to draft him and I have my doubts that he’ll be able to avoid getting demolished every season.  Time will tell, but when he’s healthy, watch the efff out.  Game changing speed

4 minutes ago, Billsguy said:

The two time defending Super Bowl champions have no idea what they are doing by trading with the Buffalo Bills. Some Bills fans would have you believe this. By drafting Patrick Mahomes and Xavier Worthy after trading picks with the Bills, KC proved they know nothing. Right Bills apologists?

Anybody could have scored those two TD's that Worthy scored. "Correct", says the apologists. Don't give the Chiefs any credit. 

Remember how Beane said he was happy Keon Coleman ran a slow 40 yd. dash at the combine? By running slower, he would be available later in the draft for the Bills the "reasoning" goes. Excellent logic.  

Making excuses for the failings of Brandon Beane is a bit of a sport for Bills fans. 

The Bills acquired Tredavious White, Zay Jones and Tremaine Edmunds by trading with KC. The Chiefs drafted Mahomes. Can you explain yourself Mr. Beane? 

I’ll play the role of Brandon Beane here.  “I was employed by the Carolina Panthers at the time that trade was made.”

11 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I gotta think Josh was cool with Coleman and that they were looking to get a bigger, “handsier” guy to replace and to improve upon Gabe.  Josh made a comment recently about not playing with a guy like Coleman before, and I immediately thought he must have been looking for a guy with that skill set.  

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, K-9 said:

Not necessarily. A good chuck at the line negates a ton of Worthy’s speed advantage. I’ll be surprised if he plays more on the ball than off the ball as the season progresses and defenses adjust. We shall see. 

oh he will for sure be schemed into motion, bunches etc…. 

but just like the risk of jumping a route, if you try to muscle a guy that fast and he dips/ducks/dodges you can get into trouble 

30 minutes ago, DapperCam said:

2 high safety look has been used against the Chiefs for like 3 seasons now. Last season the problem was players dropping passes, not speed. MVS runs sub 4.4 and is plenty fast for the effect you are talking about.

He was fast for them but couldn’t catch. Watched KC played last year you could see safeties cheating up towards the middle leaving MVS one on one. 

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, strive_for_five_guy said:

I actually think overall, Beane has done a pretty good to great job with the roster.  But in this specific instance, I have a real problem with the trade and think it’s perfect acceptable and rational to question it.  Maybe time and his wiazardry will prove me wrong.  But it’s okay to not bow to every move either Beane or McD make.

If I genuinely thought he fit with the direction the bills offense was trying to go better than Coleman I’d be a little more worried about the situation.  I think that’s where the two camps are diverging here lol if the bills want to pound the run to set up the rest of the offense, Coleman is the objectively better pick. Maybe some don’t like that direction but it is what it is.  It’s pretty ironic too as that’s also an area where kc has struggled a bit.  They face a lot of light boxes and aren’t super successful running the ball considering.

Im closer to thinking that the chiefs should’ve picked Keon than the bills should’ve picked worthy 🤣 but we shall see I guess.  If one of these teams with great qb play/a stable of capable receivers figures out how to run the ball consistently they’ll be virtually unstoppable.  Wr blocking gets so often overlooked and Keon is also a big physical target for all of those josh improv plays.