The chatter around the Worthy trade isn't rational

Success

19 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

I don't find myself wishing the Bills had taken Worthy or that they had blocked the Chiefs from drafting him (or at least not helping them).  I DO find myself wishing we had an offense like theirs - advanced and explosive instead of plodding and dull.  I wish we were cutting-edge and fast on offense, period.

who's to say you won't get what you wish for? does anyone know what this offense is going to look like? I know I don't?

Edited by DaBillsFanSince1973

8 minutes ago, The Firebaugh Kid said:

I could’ve caught that second touchdown. He’s a 165 gadget player. Sure I’d love to have him but I’m not sure it’s worth a first. 

He is a great fit for their team and Andy Reid already knows exactly how to use him and protect him because he is Desean Jackson.

I don't know why people are so riled up over him.  The chiefs would have got him one way or another and the bills grabbed an extra third by swapping spots and their four.  

I like Keon Coleman and Dewayne Carter and think they will be good players for a long time here and that is how you build a good team.  

I don't think the bills would have gotten out of Worthy what KC will.  I honestly am not sure if anyone would maximize his talent like KC will.  

In my brain this has nothing to do with the Bills and all this monday morning quarterbacking is odd to me. 

Next year the bills will add another wr in the draft and maybe free agency and in two years we could be looking at a really good group of dynamic young wr along with kincaid.  Coleman will be a part of that.

• Thank you (+1) 2

20 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

I don't find myself wishing the Bills had taken Worthy or that they had blocked the Chiefs from drafting him (or at least not helping them).  I DO find myself wishing we had an offense like theirs - advanced and explosive instead of plodding and dull.  I wish we were cutting-edge and fast on offense, period.

Unfortunately, our O is a product of a D minded HC and when they are unsure with the changing of the times, they revert back to "old school" tactics that worked 20-30 years ago.......expect a lot of boring, yet productive Bills games this year.

It seems our coaching staff is always playing "catch up" with KC every year......KC sets the pace and the standards with their innovation, and we are just trying to keep up, but always one step and one year behind.

• Sad 1
  • Shocked 1
  • Disagree 2
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, MikePJ76 said:

He is a great fit for their team and Andy Reid already knows exactly how to use him and protect him because he is Desean Jackson.

I don't know why people are so riled up over him.  The chiefs would have got him one way or another and the bills grabbed an extra third by swapping spots and their four.  

I like Keon Coleman and Dewayne Carter and think they will be good players for a long time here and that is how you build a good team.  

I don't think the bills would have gotten out of Worthy what KC will.  I honestly am not sure if anyone would maximize his talent like KC will.  

In my brain this has nothing to do with the Bills and all this monday morning quarterbacking is odd to me. 

Next year the bills will add another wr in the draft and maybe free agency and in two years we could be looking at a really good group of dynamic young wr along with kincaid.  Coleman will be a part of that.

It’d be like giving Russia nuclear secrets in exchange for something.  Yeah, they might figure this stuff out on their own eventually anyway.  But, to help arm your nemesis with something that could come back to haunt us is what’s questionable.

• Eyeroll 2

1 hour ago, whorlnut said:

If anything…I’m more upset we passed on creed Humphrey and instead took Carlos Basham. 

Or even the fact that we wanted McDuffie and the chiefs jumped us to get him. 

The Chiefs and Andy Reid work the Bills like a red-headed stepchild.  It's like we're their farm system.  We do business with 2 organizations.  Carolina & KC....that's it.  Mahomes & McDuffie were homeruns. Now Worthy, a speed outside wr Josh could have used desperately,  looks incredible.  We have no clue what we have in Coleman other than a very slow 40 time. I'm beginning to wonder if Josh will EVER get multiple wr weapons that many other teams have?

• Disagree 1

Just now, strive_for_five_guy said:

It’d be like giving Russia nuclear secrets in exchange for something.  Yeah, they might figure this stuff out on their own eventually anyway.  But, to help arm your nemesis with something that could come back to haunt us is what’s questionable.

I just don't see it that way but I understand why its such a sore spot with so many fans.

I am of the belief you do what is best for your team at all times, if that means trading with a rival or divisional opponent you do it.  

Coleman and Carter are not stiff's so I look forward to them playing well as the season progresses

• Like (+1) 2

IMO helping your biggest rival get better is just a bad move. I understand the goal of the draft is to improve your own team, but you can do it without helping the team that's won 3 of the past 4 Super Bowls.

This years draft, the Bills trading with the Chiefs reminded me of the days when it seemed teams got in line to help the patriots get better.

It's done now and the guy we let the Chiefs have scored two TD's in his first NFL game, I'm sure Andy Reid said thanks again Buffalo.

• Agree 2

1 minute ago, LABILLBACKER said:

The Chiefs and Andy Reid work the Bills like a red-headed stepchild.  It's like we're their farm system.  We do business with 2 organizations.  Carolina & KC....that's it.  Mahomes & McDuffie were homeruns. Now Worthy, a speed outside wr Josh could have used desperately,  looks incredible.  We have no clue what we have in Coleman other than a very slow 40 time. I'm beginning to wonder if Josh will EVER get multiple wr weapons that many other teams have?

How did we give them McDuffie?

Worthy isn't the receiver we needed, imo.  Some have said it here - but he's more of a stretch the field/gadget play guy than a potential #1/red zone target.

14 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

My wife is a die hard Niners fan, we follow the team closely and a buddy of hers she went to HS with works for the Niners organization.  From everything I heard Pearsall was their guy all the way, it was who they felt fit their scheme and I am pretty confident Worthy wouldn’t have been the pick even if he was on the board.  

I mean anything is possible though, but I doubt they would have done anything different.  

See, all that to me is just speculative. There is a reason the Chiefs traded up. Why would they do that if they felt he would have been there if they stayed put? They had to have some intel that there was a definite possibility he’d be off the board.

Edited by Beast

2 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Incredible is quite a word to use.

I think you are stretching it just a bit.  

Watching the game last night and you know who looks incredible to me, Chris Jones and the chiefs secondary.  If I am going to pine over something KC has its Jones and their secondary not a wr.

• Thank you (+1) 1

59 minutes ago, Simon said:

Failing to maximize the talent on your own team just to tweak somebody else's nose would be embarrassingly pathetic and a fireable offense.

agree with this, but I think the point some people are making is that this: (1) did not make our team better; and (2) gave KC a great and unique weapon that we will have a difficult time stopping.  

I agree with another poster who said we should have grabbed Worthy and traded up in 2 for Coleman.  The speed/size combo with those 2 would be great.  

3 minutes ago, MikePJ76 said:

I just don't see it that way but I understand why its such a sore spot with so many fans.

I am of the belief you do what is best for your team at all times, if that means trading with a rival or divisional opponent you do it.  

Coleman and Carter are not stiff's so I look forward to them playing well as the season progresses

if Coleman and Carter can ball out for the Bills and we eventually get by the Chiefs, I will be happy as a clam 👍

• Like (+1) 1

Worthy, Zay Flowers, Tank Dell are all guys who will be too beat up to warrant a big second contract.  They are drafted to fill a high priced position for as long as the can until they are broken.  Bills, for better and worse, seem to want to use early round draft picks on guys that they hope can play on the Bills for 10 years. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Success said:

It's actually insane - here & nationally.  

He had 2 big plays yesterday.  The 1st TD was some of the best blocking I've seen in awhile, and reflective of how good Reid is.  Most fast receivers get that TD.  The 2nd TD was a completely blown coverage, and pretty much ANY WR would have gotten a TD on.

He's incredibly fast - but we knew that before the draft.  The internet went crazy last night blaming the Bills and Beane - as though we didn't expect the guy to make some plays in one of the best offenses, with one of the best QB's and best offensive minds in the game?

But that's beside the point.  In all likelihood, KC would have gotten Worthy by standing pat in that draft.  Instead, we traded - and not only got Coleman, but Bishop as well.  People keep saying that if Worthy outperforms Coleman, it will look terrible for the Bills....but what if Bishop turns into a top safety?

It's almost like it's in the national psyche that KC always bests the Bills.  That will probably turn out to be a good trade for both teams, but the hot take reaction was so over the top anti-Bills.  

No matter how you want to slice it the Chiefs are a better run organization than our Bills. I’m happy we are competitive every year, which gives me hope for a Super Bowl, but the fact it was our ineptitude that gave them

Mahommes is gonna haunt this fan base forever. Worthy looks like he is going to be a threat to score every time he gets the ball. I said it before and I’ll say again we are living in a nightmare. 

• Eyeroll 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

100% agree with the final sentence but I have to add that the chiefs offense was hardly advanced or explosive last season even with all that speed.  They looked even more inept than us for long stretches of the season and this season I’d say it’s too early to tell how much things improved yet  

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan
  • Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, MikePJ76 said:

Don't forget VPG was basically the additional piece in the trade down from Legette to Coleman as well.  

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, NyQuil said:

There is absolutely no way a 170 pound reciever holds up over a 17 game season. He may score a bunch of TDs at first but I expect a precipitous drop off after the half way point.

Desean Jackson had a long above average career and his best years were with scumbag Andy Reid.   He will know how to protect and maximize worthy's talent.  

Edited by MikePJ76

This type of stuff shows once again how incredible Josh has been that over the years there really isn’t a lot of talk about Patrick and the Buffalo Bills.

This is different Beane directly knew who the Chiefs where taking despite what he says and traded the pick to them. It’s upto Keon to make Beane look like he knew what he was doing. 

Edited by 78thealltimegreat
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

This Bills bashing and putting the blame on Buffalo is just an easy out for fans around the league. They can point a finger at Buffalo and say they’re the reason nobody can get past KC, instead of being critical of their own front offices, coaching staffs, scouting departments and ownership groups.

The truth is Buffalo seems to be the only team consistently getting themselves in a position (a place these other teams aren’t even capable of reaching) to knock them off, but it’s just easier and less painful to point at the Bills as the reason KC is unbeatable rather than look in the mirror.