The chatter around the Worthy trade isn't rational

Success

1 minute ago, Success said:

Just a side note:  they will be a tough team to cover when Brown gets back.  Rice looked great last night.  They have some serious speed.

Rice is going to have a big year. Teams are not going to give Chiefs the big stuff. We saw it yesterday and it left Rice open underneath a bunch. 

• Like (+1) 1

Beane is fine with making these gambles because he knows that even if they backfire, Pegula won’t hold him accountable.

So what if we trade with one of our biggest rivals and Worthy becomes the next Tyreek Hill? So what if McDermott was in charge of the team during that  13 second debacle and continues to fail in the playoffs? Pegula simply does not care.

• Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 2

3 minutes ago, Success said:

Just a side note:  they will be a tough team to cover when Brown gets back.  Rice looked great last night.  They have some serious speed.

Interesting that they're in this position after missing so badly with the Skyy Moore pick. Same thing at RB. The C E-H wiff gets papered over because they hit in Pachecko in the 7th. Well, that and all the Lombardis.

6 minutes ago, 90sBills said:

What you saw throughout the game was Rice catching a pass in the middle of a wide open field because the safeties were retreating deep to cover Worthy. KC was missing that speed element to take off the cover last year. Now they have it and are better for their overall team. 

True. It’s no surprise they were looking for their Tyreek Hill replacement. Reid has a formula, and will try to replicate it because it works. Nothing about this is remotely surprising. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

6 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

I have to agree with the OP. The blocking on his first touchdown was unbelievable! I could’ve scored on that play…and I’m old. 

No you couldn’t. Two defenders had good angles with clean shots at him. He outran those angles.

52 minutes ago, Logic said:

I was and am an "I wish we picked Worthy" guy.

That said -- the discourse on social media last night and this morning is ridiculous.

As you said, his two scoring plays came on a reverse, which -- credit to him -- he followed his blockers and scored on. He showed his rare speed. And the other came on a completely busted coverage where Marlon Humphrey thought he had safety help and left Worthy uncovered down the sideline. 

NEITHER of those plays are indicative of some great talent that Worthy possesses AS A RECEIVER. We didn't see him getting open against press-man, finding the soft spot in zone coverages, or generally displaying the skills it takes to be a good WR in the NFL. Nevertheless, he scored twice (and one of them came on his first NFL touch, no less). And because nuance doesn't really exist in our instant reaction world of hot takes, hyperbole, and instant viral video clips, the discussion is simply "LOOK AT WHO THE BILLS PASSED ON!"

So yeah...Even as a big Worthy guy, you're right. The discourse around him this morning his ridiculous. Last night didn't show me much other than "he's fast", which we already knew.

I don't find myself wishing the Bills had taken Worthy or that they had blocked the Chiefs from drafting him (or at least not helping them).  I DO find myself wishing we had an offense like theirs - advanced and explosive instead of plodding and dull.  I wish we were cutting-edge and fast on offense, period.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, WEATHER DOT COM said:

They could have drafted Worthy at 28.

Find a way to move up from the 3rd round to the top of the 2nd round to draft Coleman. Bills have a 2026 first and two 2026 2nds. 

They didn't have a 3rd round pick though. So you're advocating Worthy at 28, giving up more resources (I don't even know what those would be, but likely not insignificant) for Coleman, and losing Cole Bishop and DeWayne Carter picks. 

That doesn't seem very logical to me. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, 90sBills said:

No you couldn’t. Two defenders had good angles with clean shots at him. He outran those angles.

His extra gear probably did make a difference, even though it was great blocking.

If I didn't hate the Chiefs, I would have enjoyed it - that was a cool play & fun to watch.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Lionel Hutz said:

Beane is fine with making these gambles because he knows that even if they backfire, Pegula won’t hold him accountable.

So what if we trade with one of our biggest rivals and Worthy becomes the next Tyreek Hill? So what if McDermott was in charge of the team during that  13 second debacle and continues to fail in the playoffs? Pegula simply does not care.

Maybe he doesn’t care. We will see. This years team doesn’t look nearly as strong as the last few editions. The results may reflect this. Will anything of consequence be changed ? As fans we have to wait to find out. 

• Like (+1) 1

It’s only a matter of time before DCs play press coverage when Worthy is line up on the LOS, depending on the game situation. I haven’t changed my opinion one bit that he is an off ball receiver because he struggles against press coverage, especially against bigger, stronger CBs. Kudos to Mahomes for seeing the play, but it never would have happened if Worthy wasn’t allowed a free release. 

4 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

I don't find myself wishing the Bills had taken Worthy or that they had blocked the Chiefs from drafting him (or at least not helping them).  I DO find myself wishing we had an offense like theirs - advanced and explosive instead of plodding and dull.  I wish we were cutting-edge and fast on offense, period.

I agree , and I think an innovative offensive minded coach is what’s needed here. Even more so since the Bills have Josh Allen. It’s an offense based league. 

• Agree 2

17 minutes ago, Samwell Tarly said:

Worthy had a good game.  It happens.  Can we all just pump the brakes a little bit before we fit him for his Hall of Fame jacket?

Worthy should retire immediately so he can be eligible for Hall of Fame jacket sooner.  

Lately the MVP and Hall of Fame voters have been dunderheads.

2 minutes ago, K-9 said:

It’s only a matter of time before DCs play press coverage when Worthy is line up on the LOS, depending on the game situation. I haven’t changed my opinion one bit that he is an off ball receiver because he struggles against press coverage, especially against bigger, stronger CBs. Kudos to Mahomes for seeing the play, but it never would have happened if Worthy wasn’t allowed a free release. 

If he was pressed Mahones would whine and audition for diaper commercial.

1 hour ago, Success said:

It's actually insane - here & nationally.  

He had 2 big plays yesterday.  The 1st TD was some of the best blocking I've seen in awhile, and reflective of how good Reid is.  Most fast receivers get that TD.  The 2nd TD was a completely blown coverage, and pretty much ANY WR would have gotten a TD on.

He's incredibly fast - but we knew that before the draft.  The internet went crazy last night blaming the Bills and Beane - as though we didn't expect the guy to make some plays in one of the best offenses, with one of the best QB's and best offensive minds in the game?

But that's beside the point.  In all likelihood, KC would have gotten Worthy by standing pat in that draft.  Instead, we traded - and not only got Coleman, but Bishop as well.  People keep saying that if Worthy outperforms Coleman, it will look terrible for the Bills....but what if Bishop turns into a top safety?

It's almost like it's in the national psyche that KC always bests the Bills.  That will probably turn out to be a good trade for both teams, but the hot take reaction was so over the top anti-Bills.  

if they hit on worthy and it’s a miss on Keon, a safety doesn’t fix that 

9 minutes ago, K-9 said:

bigger stronger corners will be a risk to put on him as they as tend to be slower 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Beast said:

Like it or not, the Bills will always be connected to the Worthy choice. Just like we our to Mahomes.

And who’s to say the 49ers wouldn’t have grabbed Worthy?

My wife is a die hard Niners fan, we follow the team closely and a buddy of hers she went to HS with works for the Niners organization.  From everything I heard Pearsall was their guy all the way, it was who they felt fit their scheme and I am pretty confident Worthy wouldn’t have been the pick even if he was on the board.  

I mean anything is possible though, but I doubt they would have done anything different.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, SCBills said:

Yes, Chiefs would have gotten him regardless.. unless we drafted him. 

Ironically, the Chiefs being physical with our WR’s in the Playoffs and clamping them with single coverage is probably why we avoided him.  

You can see it in our overall philosophy with Kincaid, Knox, Coleman, Hollins and MVS.  Even Shakir and Samuel are thicker WR’s for the slot/gadget stuff we’ll run. 

I like how the chiefs defense gets away with that every single playoff game unless they’re facing Tom Brady 🤣. I knew that Super Bowl was over the second the first defensive holding flag was thrown 

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan

Oh gosh, the hand wringing around this rookie receiver is just embarrassing. Are we going to analyze every play he makes for the rest of his career? Honestly, I do not care. Yeah, I'd like to see him not be good because I don't want the Chiefs to have another good player, but that's about all.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1