The chatter around the Worthy trade isn't rational

Success

I preferred Worthy over Coleman (by a lot). Coleman was a couple of tiers below for me (around the 15th best WR). I’ve seen nothing from either to change my mind but it’s obviously incredibly early. I hope to be wrong. 

Edited by Kirby Jackson
  • Agree 3

26 minutes ago, ngbills said:

If you understand defense go watch the tape when Worthy is on the field. It’s not just the stuff he did in terms of the TD’s but how the defense adjusts coverage to account for him. That helps a guy like Rice get 100 yards. So many people seem to miss this concept. It’s what the Bills are missing, we have no one teams are worried about in that same way. 

…..besides Samuel.

4 minutes ago, Bruffalo said:

I agree with the sentiment that Beane should have at least double dipped at WR this year in the draft, but I don't see any path where they could get both Worthy and Coleman without giving up significant resources to do so. 

They could have drafted Worthy at 28.

Find a way to move up from the 3rd round to the top of the 2nd round to draft Coleman. Bills have a 2026 first and two 2026 2nds. 

37 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Yes, Chiefs would have gotten him regardless.. unless we drafted him. 

Ironically, the Chiefs being physical with our WR’s in the Playoffs and clamping them with single coverage is probably why we avoided him.  

You can see it in our overall philosophy with Kincaid, Knox, Coleman, Hollins and MVS.  Even Shakir and Samuel are thicker WR’s for the slot/gadget stuff we’ll run. 

Diggs especially was out muscled having him get banged up and needing to sit to rest so that was definitely a consideration of Beane when he drafted.

I was surprised how much contact was allowed on him and reminded me of Bills-Giants Superbowl where DBs were told to hit and hold WRs even if they were penalized (rarely) to disrupt and slow down Bills offense.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Dillenger4 said:

I agree with you 100%.

But what I might add is that I seriously doubt Coleman can run that reverse with that speed and field awareness etc. That was a NICE run by Worthy and THAT is what makes him such a good asset. He isn't just a WR - he is a weapon! And he showed it last night. Two touchdowns in his first game. Full stop. I don't care how he got them (blown coverage, good blocking). The fact is, he scored x 2.

Coleman, you're up buddy!

Of course he cannot. He just doesn’t have the speed of Worthy, and I doubt anyone paying attention to the draft thought that he does. If you don’t care how the touchdowns were scored, that is just ignoring all context. Lots of NFL players can score a TD on a blown coverage. It happens pretty much every week. Worthy is a very fast guy, but the fact remains that the Bills didn’t want to draft him. 

7 minutes ago, Sweats said:

Worthy is the guy you want in the regular season.....Coleman is the guy you want in the post season.

That’s bold talk. I hope in the end that you’re right. 

29 minutes ago, ngbills said:

If you understand defense go watch the tape when Worthy is on the field. It’s not just the stuff he did in terms of the TD’s but how the defense adjusts coverage to account for him. That helps a guy like Rice get 100 yards. So many people seem to miss this concept. It’s what the Bills are missing, we have no one teams are worried about in that same way. 

…. besides Samuel.

• Like (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, Lost said:

Still two more TDs than Coleman will have in his first game.  I don't care about circumstances.    It's like the Chiefs are constantly innovating and ahead of the curve and we're always trying to catch up to what they did last year.

You have no idea how Coleman ill do on Sunday. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Boatdrinks said:

Of course he cannot. He just doesn’t have the speed of Worthy, and I doubt anyone paying attention to the draft thought that he does. If you don’t care how the touchdowns were scored, that is just ignoring all context. Lots of NFL players can score a TD on a blown coverage. It happens pretty much every week. Worthy is a very fast guy, but the fact remains that the Bills didn’t want to draft him. 

And your point is what??? We know he is fast. We know the obvious that Bills didn't want him.... the fact remains he scored 2 TD's and everyone is freaking out according to the OP. I frankly don't care. Just need the Bills to win Sunday and all will be fine.

Just now, Dillenger4 said:

And your point is what??? We know he is fast. We know the obvious that Bills didn't want him.... the fact remains he scored 2 TD's and everyone is freaking out according to the OP. I frankly don't care. Just need the Bills to win Sunday and all will be fine.

The whole community of NFL content creators is clowning on this Bills this morning. If this is content that you consume, this has been a rough morning for Bills fans.

Just now, Dillenger4 said:

I think the OP is just pointing out the total overreaction the game generated. Not surprising as we are in an overreaction , hot-take culture but true just the same. Some will care, others won’t. 

Just now, Low Positive said:

The whole community of NFL content creators is clowning on this Bills this morning. If this is content that you consume, this has been a rough morning for Bills fans.

No different than they pretty much always have. Just a lot more of it. It’s why I choose to consume less and less of this content than ever. Won’t change until the day the Bills win a Super Bowl. 

• Like (+1) 2

23 minutes ago, Cray51 said:

He absolutely made a nice play on that reverse, his speed was a huge factor in that touchdown.

That receiving TD?  Completely blown coverage and he walked in for a touchdown.  

Worthy has speed and talent, need to see if he can separate in the receiving game.  We didn't see it last night but he has a long career to go!

What you saw throughout the game was Rice catching a pass in the middle of a wide open field because the safeties were retreating deep to cover Worthy. KC was missing that speed element to take off the cover last year. Now they have it and are better for their overall team. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

7 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

That’s bold talk. I hope in the end that you’re right. 

I'd take a big bodied WR in the playoffs any day......Worthy looks like he would be lucky to see the whole season. The dude is a twig and looks frail.

Wait and see when it becomes the "norm" for LB's to tee-off on Worthy, just to prove that he can be caught and corralled. Let's see how he plays when the big boys are squaring him up.

• Like (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, HansLanda said:

OK, my initial thought is Coleman will have fewer TDs than his first week's total. Meaning Keon = fewer than 2 TDs for year. 

Maybe you are right... I hope not... but I would say it is more likely that Worthy has more catches and yards than Coleman, but holding Coleman to 1 or zero TDs when I believe that his major purpose was to be a big body in the red and end zone specifically to produce touchdowns would mean he was injured all year OR this was an epic bust of a pick and we got bigger problems than letting the Chiefs get Worthy. 

2 minutes ago, Samwell Tarly said:

Worthy had a good game.  It happens.  Can we all just pump the brakes a little bit before we fit him for his Hall of Fame jacket?

Too late.  His HOF jacket size is XS.

• Haha (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Low Positive said:

I hear ya... No, I don't consume this content but I can imagine.... Bills just need to win Sunday. Pound em boys!!